[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you know anyone unemployed

polksalet

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

or can't find a job? I keep hearing all of this bad economic stuff but it seems to be happening in other places..

Well, I know of 4 different people who have been laid off over the past three weeks due to the slow market. Two in Atlanta, one in Phoenix, and one in VA.

what kind fo work do they do?

Kind of a strange answer. They were working for private equity groups or, in the instance of one here in Atlanta, a REIT heading up apartment acquisitions in the SE. Two of them have JDs and hold law licenses, one is a CPA by training/licensure, and the other had a masters in finance. Not too worried about them finding other work, though I am concerned that the new work won't be quite as lucrative at this time.

I do know a couple people that are looking for work and are having trouble. I myself am considering a new path and haven't seen too much that jumps out at me.

Don't know any, but a fair number of autoworkers are going to be laid off in St. Louis very shortly.

We just had a relatively large home builder here in ATL lay off all of its sales staff. And from what I read last night, Starbucks is closing 600 stores... I'm glad to see people have finally come to their senses regarding $5 cups of coffee.

We just had a relatively large home builder here in ATL lay off all of its sales staff. And from what I read last night, Starbucks is closing 600 stores... I'm glad to see people have finally come to their senses regarding $5 cups of coffee.

That might have something to do with the genius of dropping those stupid kiosks into every Grocery store.

or can't find a job? I keep hearing all of this bad economic stuff but it seems to be happening in other places..

I do, but he's a lazy bastage that hasn't bothered to look for a new job. Actually, I know another guy....and he's also a lazy bastage that hasn't bothered to look for a new job.

And from what I read last night, Starbucks is closing 600 stores... I'm glad to see people have finally come to their senses regarding $5 cups of coffee.

Couldn't agree more. That stupid coffee still costs more than a gallon of gasoline. About time people started realizing what a ridiculous waste Starbucks is.

That might have something to do with the genius of dropping those stupid kiosks into every Grocery store.

Could be, though I don't believe I've noticed those around here.

I do, but he's a lazy bastage that hasn't bothered to look for a new job. Actually, I know another guy....and he's also a lazy bastage that hasn't bothered to look for a new job.

How do these folks survive? Unemployment check? If I was laid off / let go, I'd take a day to spruce up my resume then hit the job market immediately. I couldn't afford to goof off for weeks.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Actually yes. Some of my clients were shown the door. I've got people from Lehman Bros., and other investment banking firms. Others stem from those in mortgage industry. Alot of them are not even actively looking right now while the job market is so soft.

Couldn't agree more. That stupid coffee still costs more than a gallon of gasoline. About time people started realizing what a ridiculous waste Starbucks is.

Wow, Ursa, never thought we'd agree 100% on anything. Keep up the good work.

I'm an elitist Obama supporter, so I enjoy an occassional iced carmel latte. :wacko:

Kind of a strange answer. They were working for private equity groups or, in the instance of one here in Atlanta, a REIT heading up apartment acquisitions in the SE. Two of them have JDs and hold law licenses, one is a CPA by training/licensure, and the other had a masters in finance. Not too worried about them finding other work, though I am concerned that the new work won't be quite as lucrative at this time.

I do know a couple people that are looking for work and are having trouble. I myself am considering a new path and haven't seen too much that jumps out at me.

Which private equity groups? I hadn't heard of any prominent groups laying off people.

You joking???

I am a technical recruiter - mainly in Seattle/Portland/SF, which are the most educated and stable economies in the US for the most part. . and some big companies are laying off left and right . Much more technical than blue collar folks- here in Phx, and peeps seem to be working, but we aren't talking top notch jobs here either.

Maybe blue collar peeps are the safest right now, I dunno

Starbucks, WAMU, Weyerhaueser, Hollywood Video, many banks and mortgage peeps, Alaska is rumored to be laying off a bunch soon as well -

Which private equity groups? I hadn't heard of any prominent groups laying off people.

Prominent is a relative term. Most of these groups are a little smaller and only have between $500 million to $2 billion of holdings (well, except for the first two which are a bit larger).

Fairfield Residential, Urdang Capital, Miles Properties, and Concierge Asset Management.

Prominent is a relative term. Most of these groups are a little smaller and only have between $500 million to $2 billion of holdings (well, except for the first two which are a bit larger).

Fairfield Residential, Urdang Capital, Miles Properties, and Concierge Asset Management.

Gotcha. All of those are real estate investers, right? That would make sense.

it's definitely hard to find a NEW job...

I'm trying to get into the real estate appraisal business and that is already tough, but right now seems almost impossible...

What is your back ground and your flexibility on relocation (I'm guessing you live in Phili?)

Not that I can get you a job, but I can give you a group of companies that you should be talking to.

Edited by SEC=UGA

Gotcha. All of those are real estate investers, right? That would make sense.

Yep. Verrrrrryyyy slow right now. I'm beginning to think the one's getting laid off are better for it as they really have no hope to cling to and can make a concerted effort to find a new line of work. The rest of us are getting beaten up but are too dumb to realize it and are clinging to that thread of hope that the good times are just around the corner.

I'm trying to get into the real estate appraisal business and that is already tough, but right now seems almost impossible...

With all due respect, why? Just curious. I was a real estate appraiser a long time ago and very glad I didn't stay. All the appraisers I know would like to be doing something different. It's usually a cutthroat industry and even moreso in slow times. There are few barriers to entry in that field and even becoming a MAI doesn't guarantee a very profitable existance.

With all due respect, why? Just curious. I was a real estate appraiser a long time ago and very glad I didn't stay. All the appraisers I know would like to be doing something different. It's usually a cutthroat industry and even moreso in slow times. There are few barriers to entry in that field and even becoming a MAI doesn't guarantee a very profitable existance.

You are very correct, sir. But, some people love being their own boss and this job does at times offer flexibility if you are willing to sacrifice $'s