[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you know anyone unemployed

polksalet

We can really only keep going up from here and the truly independent and open minded Americans have learned a valuable lesson. It will be a long time before someone completely ill-equipped and lacking the competence to be a small town dog catcher will ever lead our nation for one term, let alone two. It will take some time to heal ourselves from the damage inflicted, but we are once again on the road to being as strong, proud, and respected as we were before the last 7.5 year debacle of historic proportions. :wacko::D

You're awfully optimistic in the abilities of the two stuffed suits up for election this year. Not so certain I share your rosy outlook. But anyway, what does this have to do with the topic at hand.... will you please wipe the drool off of your mouth.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Troll? Listen, little newbie, I've been here since you were an itch in yer Daddy's pants, and have never been called a troll. You were wrong. Be a man and stand up and admit it. Don't be like John Elway waiting for a good running back to come along and bail you out.

Tim...Opie isn't wrong and neither are you. Tim...do you have a college degree? If so....do you think it is worth the time to look longer to find something that is fitting to your training than just anything that pops up. I mean really....to just dismiss Opie out of hand is ignorant. And for him to dismiss you out of hand is ignorant.

I have to agree with TimC to an extent. Now if you are disabled, then I can understand being unemployed. But for a healthy person to say they cannot find a job is BS. They may go from $100k a year to $30k...but there are plenty of jobs out there if you're willing to get your hands dirty.

We can really only keep going up from here and the truly independent and open minded Americans have learned a valuable lesson. It will be a long time before someone completely ill-equipped and lacking the competence to be a small town dog catcher will ever lead our nation for one term, let alone two. It will take some time to heal ourselves from the damage inflicted, but we are once again on the road to being as strong, proud, and respected as we were before the last 7.5 year debacle of historic proportions. :wacko::D

I too know what it is like to be an American.

So I'm the only one here that's ever been turned down for a job for the BS reason of "over-qualified"?

I suppose the Denver market's different?

I can say without equivocation that you are the ONLY one I have ever heard of getting turned down for a job for being over-qualified.

Double Agent gets it. I think Opie talking "qualifications" is a bit more advanced than "finding a job...any job". Yeah, you may no longer be able to afford the SUV and house, but you can do something to keep food in your belly and a piece of wood over your head in most cases.

Note: If you're going to talk disabled or other such things, then that is not what I was referring to, of course. If you are an able-bodied person and have claim you can't find a job, then you are a lazy fool with no excuse. The correct thing you can say is you can't find the job you want and, as long as you aren't a burden on society, that is fine. I don't even have a problem claiming unemployment for short-term since I believe you had to have a job to qualify. I don't know...never claimed it myself.

I took a new job last year and was laid off after 4 months. It was the first time it had ever happened to me, and there was no warning signs from the company when I was hired. I was unemployed for about 45 minutes total, which is what it took me to get a cup of coffee and drive back to my old employer. But the problem is my wife took a 40k pay cut to change careers just before I took the new job, so the income I lost by getting laid off put us 30k down from last years income.

Times have been tougher than ever before for us. So I fall into the category of "working, but not anywhere near the income I need". I've been looking for new employment but I've found nothing in the salary range I need.

I too know what it is like to be an American.

How does it feel? Is it a warm tingly feeling in your most private parts? Is it a feeling of elation like whenever you think back to the days when you were a small child and your mommy used to swing you by your arms in a circle in the middle of a lush green field? Is it like the feeling you get when you take that first hit of crack in the afternoon after you wake up from a deep slumber?

I want to know that feeling, what does it feel like to be an American?

I took a new job last year and was laid off after 4 months. It was the first time it had ever happened to me, and there was no warning signs from the company when I was hired. I was unemployed for about 45 minutes total, which is what it took me to get a cup of coffee and drive back to my old employer. But the problem is my wife took a 40k pay cut to change careers just before I took the new job, so the income I lost by getting laid off put us 30k down from last years income.

Times have been tougher than ever before for us. So I fall into the category of "working, but not anywhere near the income I need". I've been looking for new employment but I've found nothing in the salary range I need.

Swamp, sorry to hear that. I was laid off when North Carolina decided to buy out all the banks here back in the 90's. It's not fun. It took a couple of years to make up the salary difference. Hope it works out for you. :wacko:

I can say without equivocation that you are the ONLY one I have ever heard of getting turned down for a job for being over-qualified.

Not true, my uncle was a national sales manager for a major brewery. When they were bought out he lost his job. He was passed over numerous times in 14 months for being deemed over-qualified. They all told him they feared he would leave when a better opportunity presented itelf.

My father in law had the same experience, and was completely unable to find work in the communications industry after 30 years of management experience.

Yes, anecdotal, not scientific. No, I have no link.

I want names and phone numbers, or sworn affidavits.

Now I'm just being a little annoying.

Swamp, sorry to hear that. I was laid off when North Carolina decided to buy out all the banks here back in the 90's. It's not fun. It took a couple of years to make up the salary difference. Hope it works out for you. :wacko:

Thanks Tim, we'll surely get by and I'm just thankful to be working when so many others are not.

At least now I have no fear of being laid off, since there's zero chance of downsizing in my profession. I should have realized the chance I was taking by venturing out just to make more money.

It's still not beneath me. I have a good friend delivering newspapers to supplement his income. I have no problem at all with that. He hurt his wrist and asked me to help him one Sunday about a year ago. There I am stuffing newspapers in bags at 5:00 AM. Hard as hell work. Way harder physically than anything I do all day.

The point is you aren't over-qualified if you need employment.

but the point is, to an employer you can be....they see what your background is and THEY dont want to waste time hiring and training you when THEY expect you will bolt as soon as something comes along within your wheelhouse.

How does it feel? Is it a warm tingly feeling in your most private parts? Is it a feeling of elation like whenever you think back to the days when you were a small child and your mommy used to swing you by your arms in a circle in the middle of a lush green field? Is it like the feeling you get when you take that first hit of crack in the afternoon after you wake up from a deep slumber?

I want to know that feeling, what does it feel like to be an American?

Kind of lumpy and slow.

I have to agree with TimC to an extent. Now if you are disabled, then I can understand being unemployed. But for a healthy person to say they cannot find a job is BS. They may go from $100k a year to $30k...but there are plenty of jobs out there if you're willing to get your hands dirty.

There aren't a ton of jobs here in Michigan. I know plenty of people who are unemployed.

So I'm the only one here that's ever been turned down for a job for the BS reason of "over-qualified"?

I suppose the Denver market's different?

No, I was turned down for being 'over-qualified". Bummed because I thoguht it could have been a good opportunity to get in with the company.

See above.

but the point is, to an employer you can be....they see what your background is and THEY dont want to waste time hiring and training you when THEY expect you will bolt as soon as something comes along within your wheelhouse.

This was a concern. I tried to alleviate them but to no avail. The HR person wanted me to come in, the hiring manager did as well, but their boss squashed it.. or so they said.

There is no such thing as being over-qualified for a job. It's called "we don't want to pay you what you're asking." The job is there...just not the money.

Not always. I was willing to take the pay being offered for the position that was open, and I was quite interested in the work to be done for the position being offered. Yes. my goal was to use the position as a stepping stone within the company, but that still did not get me an in. I was bummed as the position was at offices about 5 minutes from my house as opposed to the hour I drive now.

There aren't a ton of jobs here in Michigan. I know plenty of people who are unemployed.

No kidding, everyone from MI is moving here.