[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sunscreens

CaP'N GRuNGe

Just got done reading this article: http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/07/01/sunsc...=rss_topstories

It took us a while to figure out which sunscreen to use for our 3 year old daughter a while back. We tried a few different things and she has sensitve skin so she would break out from it. We found that a titanium dioxide sunscreen that acts as a blocker seems to work best and have been using Baby Blanket Sunblock Lotion SPF 50+.

This article talks about both the effectiveness and potential safety issues with some of the ingredients in sunscreen. One ingredient noted is Oxybenzone which the FDA says is safe but the study says it may not be (cancer and other possible problems). That ingredient is in the sunscreen we use.

So, I look to the collective knowledge of the Tailgate to see if any other parents have done the research on sunscreen products and if you have any advice on what is safe and effective to use.

(It almost seems like this sunscreen safety debate could somewhat mirror that surrounding the whole vaccination safety issue.)

What kind of boat do you have? Details?

Sister and BIL own the boat. They live on the lake about 10 minutes from us. The boat is a newer Malibu wakeboard boat. It's a great family boat and has plenty of room. Open bow and it's a V-drive so the engine is in the back out of the way. Seats 8 very comfortably.

Sister and BIL own the boat. They live on the lake about 10 minutes from us. The boat is a newer Malibu wakeboard boat. It's a great family boat and has plenty of room. Open bow and it's a V-drive so the engine is in the back out of the way. Seats 8 very comfortably.

Can't the Malibu's pretty turn very tight and darn near go back in its own wake? I usually ski behind a Mastercraft.

Can't the Malibu's pretty turn very tight and darn near go back in its own wake? I usually ski behind a Mastercraft.

It turns pretty tight. It's a wakeboard boat so it rides a lot different than most of the Mastercraft's and Nautique's I've been behind. This is not a fun boat to ski behind because of the wake. Even without the ballast, there is a sizable wake and trying to get through a slalom course is not easy. The ski has a tendency to jump out of the water on hard turns. It's great for wakeboarding though.

My BIL's brother just purchased one of those $80,000 Mastercraft wakeboard boats. That is the nicest boat I've ever seen.

I haven't skied in 2 years and I haven't wakeboarded yet this year. We always have a boat full of toddlers so we're usually either floating or letting them tube.

Edited by Double Agent

Either of these products will do the job of blocking out the suns harmful rays quite nicely! :D

And this is a great option also...

Sunblock 2000

Just lookin' out for my fellow Huddlers! :wacko:

Pretty sure it's a misnomer.

I believe SPF 10 protects the same as 60. I think the numbers mean, not protection, but duration. It's the number * the amount of time it takes to burn.

So if it takes 10 minutes for your skin to start the burning process, multiply it by the SPF... that's the effective duration.

you are correct