[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

F'ing public mocks

detlef

I'm no fan of those pop ups that make you confirm that you really want to do what you just clicked on, but maybe Antsports should have one making sure that you're prepared for the hell that awaits you in the public mock you just joined.

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

If you click yes, then it should say, "No, seriously, you do realize these public mock drafts really suck, right?"

If you click yes again, it should say, "Listen, don't say I didn't warn you. At least two guys are never going to make a pick at all, so this thing's really not going to even start for another day, and then two spots are going to be on computer pick. And actually, that's the good news, because the momos who are actually picking for themselves? One is taking Brady at #1, and the other one is taking Manning at #2. Only, the guy who signed up for the draft and specifically locked down the #1 spot didn't have the decency to pre-draft despite the fact that it's damn f'ing obvious that he knew who he was going to get. So, are you sure you want to do this? By the end of this thing, you're not going to have any clue at all as to how a legit draft might go down."

Maybe then, abject geeks like myself would step away from the computer rather than do this, yet again.

Edited by detlef

You should try cbssportsline for mocks. They have a pretty good basic system for standard drafting. They move it along nicely and it usually only takes around an hour to complete one. And the last few I have done have had at least 7 of the 10 drafters stay in it until the very end.

If you can suffer through a few standard Ant mocks and qualify for "Serious Mock Draft" status (SMD) those are usually not too bad. I did a 20 rounder a few weeks ago that actually went pretty smooth.

I've given up on mock drafts, other than being invited to one with other credible FFers here.

I get too pissed off at: 1) People who don't really give a #### and check in once every 3 days, 2) People who have done no homework whatsoever and barely know RBs past LT & AD, and 3) guys trying to experiment wildly to see what kind of results they will get by drafting a TE and 5 WRs in the first 6 rounds.

mockdraftcentral.com i paid the $4 extra to be able to create my own mock drafts with customized scoring, positions, etc. and unlimited mock drafting. Plus their cheatsheets are better than the huddle's, without going into detail. check it out.

I just bailed on my mock after putting it on auto. 3 qbs in the first 6 picks and Moss at #5 wasn't going to help me in any of my drafts. I got Steven Jackson at 7

The only thing worse than a "free public league" is a "free mock". Why even bother? It's like playing "free online poker". Worthless, and doesn't help your game at all.

Why not just post up here and find 11 credible Huddlers? I can almost guarantee that if you drum it up right, you can find yourself in a beneficial mock with people here. :wacko:

E2A: The post above mine is.... well, it's just :D .. awesome

Edited by darin3

Well, it's pretty much official. The title of this rant/thread should be F'ing Antsports mocks, not F'ing public mocks. What a joke. I've actually had some pretty interesting and fun mocks on fantasyfootballcalculator (sorry Grits but it's true), but Antsports is lame, lame, lame.

I think the casual element loses people. Once you realize that the guy in front of you has 12 hours to make a pick, I'm sure plenty say screw it and move on.

Of course, perhaps the worst thing about it is how limited your choices for players to pick are and the fact that they don't seem to have updated them much since last year. Ced Benson, T Henry, and one other that surprised me but I'm forgetting are relatively high on the list of RBs. J Stewart and D McFadden (or any rookie RB) aren't even on the list!

None the less... I guess I won't be sticking it out to be invited to the serious mocks they offer.

The only thing worse than a "free public league" is a "free mock". Why even bother? It's like playing "free online poker". Worthless, and doesn't help your game at all.

Why not just post up here and find 11 credible Huddlers? I can almost guarantee that if you drum it up right, you can find yourself in a beneficial mock with people here. :wacko:

E2A: The post above mine is.... well, it's just :D .. awesome

True. But the public sites are available when I want to draft, and I can do 2-3 of them in an evening. They'll not as accurate as an "all Huddler" mock, but they're not worthless, either.

Last year people use to post in the main forum, like "hey, I'm in auction XYZ over at fantasyfootballcalculator. Draft is in 10 minutes." And the mock would contain 5-10 huddlers. Perhaps we should starting doing that again; best of both worlds.

FYI re Antsports:

apparently, Steve has had some serious issues with virus attacks for those logging into the site. these issues may or may not have been resolved, but i'm not going to risk it for the sake of a mock draft.

fantasyfootballcalculator.com remains a very good option.