[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don't you love the nanny state

westvirginia

Somebody probably swam it in the past, drowned, family sued, now the park has no choice. But he's at fault for not knowing the rules, so too bad for him. He should get some friends together to chip in on the permit.

Are you serious? So before long, we won't be able to wade past a certain point in the ocean, or???

Sorry Opie, this is BS

The 10,000 is a rounded-off number. Actual number of Minnesota lakes is 11,842.

:wacko:

I'm gonna sue for false advertising.

If you drown in lake 10,001, you have no claim to the state as every one (except BJ) knows they only have 10k lakes!

Are you serious? So before long, we won't be able to wade past a certain point in the ocean, or???

Sorry Opie, this is BS

If some cat is doing something dangerous... say climbing a mountain he maybe shouldn't be... and he gets lost or hurt.... and emergency rescue has to come look for him - who should foot the bill?

I kind of see this as a pre-emptive thing, here.

The cost of the permit is directly tied to the cost of the safety personnel necessary to make sure some dumbass doesn't drown himself by accident. And every state has the right to regulate itself how it sees fit in this type of circumstances.

Edited by yo mama

Sorry Opie, this is BS

Sadly it isn't BS. I will bet the other posters are right - some dude drowned, the park got sued, the courts held them responsible ("duty of care, blah blah, same BS bartenders are starting to hear about when idiot students get sh*tfaced and die) and the park protected itself.

Maybe we're way off but that's a likely scenario.

umm, how so?

If I know that I will have to foot the bill if I do something stupid and they have to call in a resue team for me, I will be much less likely than to do that stupid something than if I know that I have paid my five bucks and won't have to pay anything else. They should at least have a deductible or a co-pay.

If I know that I will have to foot the bill if I do something stupid and they have to call in a resue team for me, I will be much less likely than to do that stupid something than if I know that I have paid my five bucks and won't have to pay anything else. They should at least have a deductible or a co-pay.

There should also be some pre-existing conditions - to pay the minimum, you need to have the right equipment, file an accurate hiking / climbing plan, etc. People going up 15,000 foot mountains in sneakers and cargo shorts should have to pay for their stupidity.

There is that now famous scandinavian study where day care centers sick of having to have their staff take care of children whose parents kept on showing up late decided to fine parents as soon as they were late. What happened is that MORE parents showed up late feeling guilt free, as after all, they had payed for it.

Sounds like the same story, just substitute 'stupidity' for 'children'.

Here in Minnesota, it is considered normal to drive a two ton truck on frozen lakes. If it turns out that the lake is not as frozen as the driver thought, the entire bill for getting the thing out has to be paid by said driver. Leaving it where it is is not an option - the state gets it out and sends you the bill anyway.

Oh, quick philosophical note here - maybe it isn't the government you should fear, but the people.

The problem is that government is no longer by the people, for the people. It has become a "we'll take care of you, protect you and make the tough choices because you're too stupid to decide for yourselves." We have fallen into the depths of all that is inherently dangerous with a republican form of government. :wacko:

Swimming too far, seriously?

The problem is that government is no longer by the people, for the people. It has become a "we'll take care of you, protect you and make the tough choices because you're too stupid to decide for yourselves." We have fallen into the depths of all that is inherently dangerous with a republican form of government. :wacko:

You perhaps miss the point. The government, in this case a park authority is protecting itself AGAINST the people, who will most assuredly sue if little Johnny drowns through their (the parents) own negligence. Thus it is not government we have to fear......in this context at least.

There should also be some pre-existing conditions - to pay the minimum, you need to have the right equipment, file an accurate hiking / climbing plan, etc. People going up 15,000 foot mountains in sneakers and cargo shorts should have to pay for their stupidity.

I tried this argument with a northwestern, mountain climbing Huddler a couple years ago, and eventually gave up. So much for arguing with a lawyer.

ETA, I believe a dozen or so people died on K2 recently, including rescuers. :wacko:

The problem is that government is no longer by the people, for the people. It has become a "we'll take care of you, protect you and make the tough choices because you're too stupid to decide for yourselves." We have fallen into the depths of all that is inherently dangerous with a republican form of government. :D

On it's own, this is silly. I concur it is BS.

But, I kind of see this in the same vein of my company getting completely Health and Safety conscious and to my dismay, forcing me to do considerably more uninteresting work on H&S plans and forms. My company isn't doing it because they turned into social nannies. They did it because it made financial sense and they are covering their ass. I'd bet the motivation behind this law is the same for the State.

I respect you, WV's, and SB;s disdain for big brother; but your guys tendency to jump on this stuff is closer to Skin's and Shiznit's modus operandi than you'd' like to admit. :wacko:

Hell, I'm pissed because I just found out that I have to take a bow-hunting class here in WA state, event though I've been doing it for 15 years. I'll jump through the hoops and focus my ire on the big brother crap that really matters.