[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goodell wants a shorter pre season

Randall

By Mark Curnutte • mcurnutte@enquirer.com • August 3, 2008

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell wants a shorter preseason and a slotting system for rookie contracts to prevent holdouts.

In a visit to Bengals training camp Saturday morning, Goodell met with club president Mike Brown and other team officials and had a 20-minute session with the players. He then had lunch with six players: quarterback Carson Palmer, wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, cornerback Leon Hall, defensive tackle John Thornton, guard Andrew Whitworth and linebacker Dhani Jones.

After his visit, Goodell jetted back to Canton, Ohio, for more Hall of Fame weekend events.

Goodell said implementing a slotting system similar to that currently in place in the NBA, which effectively prevents draft picks from holding out, would have to be collectively bargained. The Bengals' first-round pick, linebacker Keith Rivers, the ninth overall selection, is one of two drafted players not signed. The other is Jacksonville defensive end Derrick Harvey, the No. 8 pick.

"We have an issue here and something is wrong with the system, flawed with the system, and we have to address it," Goodell said. "I think it's better for the players, the teams and, most important, for the fans.

"I think it's a disservice when players aren't in camp. ... My issue is it's clearly having economic issues and it affects all of the players in a negative fashion. It has some non-football issues. Veteran leadership suffers when rookies are paid more than veterans. They are uncomfortable asserting the leadership they should in the locker room."

The NFL has a 20-game season, four preseason and 16 that count. There are several theories how to make the arrangement better.

"I've been quite clear publicly and with our membership that I think the quality of the preseason is not up to NFL standards, and that we should address that," Goodell said. "So we're actively evaluating and considering whether we should modify that ratio and make it 17 and 3 as one example where there's an additional regular-season rather than the preseason game. We swap it out (with) the same number of games. I think it's a better reflection on the quality of our game.

"I wouldn't rule out 18-2."

Asked if teams need four preseason games to prepare, Goodell said, "It is my opinion we need less."

Goodell said he would not mind if the Super Bowl were pushed even later into February.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...SPT02/808030413

Oh no. If they add another regular season game, no one will count their single season records. Which isn't the players fault.

It's ok. You don't need to fret. People will still be impressed with what Randy Moss and Tom Brady did last year for a very long time.

Goodell said implementing a slotting system similar to that currently in place in the NBA, which effectively prevents draft picks from holding out,

? Because..........

Stupid idea and extending a season already too long is even stupider.

Oh no. If they add another regular season game, no one will count their single season records. Which isn't the players fault.

That's fine by me. While past records are history and all, I'm into the game for watching the games. I would love an additional regular season game. Hopefully the league can hammer something out in the near future.

Edited by TDFFFreak

? Because..........

Stupid idea and extending a season already too long is even stupider.

not sure its really "extending" a season...its turning two of the meaningless games ithat already exist into meaningful ones. if any season is "already too long", its the preseason.

perhaps Goddell is finally thinking of the fans. I pay full-price for two preseason games as part of my four ticket season-ticket package. That's 8 preseason tickets at $70 per....almost $560 on preseason games.

I'd like to see some of that ching go towards games that actually count.

My fear is that the owneres will raise ticket prices saying well now you are getting more real games!!!

Edited by T-Scorp

not sure its really "extending" a season...its turning two of the meaningless games ithat already exist into meaningful ones. if any season is "already too long", its the preseason.
I meant the reg. season is already plenty long. And I doubt most coaches will agree those games are meaningless.

perhaps Goddell is finally thinking of the fans.
he's thinking of the fans' pocketbooks, ie more $ for the league, nothing more.

I love the idea of adding a 17th regular season game. This would also play extremely well into the notion of one game per year per team to be an international game. That way each team keeps its 8 home/ 8 away with no advantages/disadvantages to anyone.

I agree except those times where NY plays in Toronto and Denver plays in Japan or Arizona plays in Mexico and SF plays in London.

Obviously. There'd have to be some consideration to teams sharing the pain travel-wise so as not to have pseudo home-field advantages.

I agree except those times where NY plays in Toronto.

Since Toronto now has a contract for 1 Bills regular-season home game a year (plus some pre-season), that venue would be ruled out as a neutral site.

They should just drop two preseason games and keep the schedule at 16. Its a sham that I have to go this Thursday to the Pats/Ravens preseason game and pay $40 to park. Most people will watch the first quater and then go back to the parkikng lot to drink and eat more. I would rather pay more for my reg season games and scrap the preseason. JMO