[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

bands better live

Cameltosis

A couple of bands come to mind. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers for one. I like their music and have been know to belt out "Breakdown" when it's playing on a juke box if I've had a few in me but it's not something I listen to very often. However, live they are unbelievable! Great musicians with a hugh catalog of hits and just a great show to go see. Whenever they are close, I will go see them. Must see for sure.

When I was younger my girlfriend dragged me kicking and screaming to go see Fleetwood Mac. Another excellent band live with a ton of tunes.

You needed to see them live about 25 years ago, not two years ago...god, I am old. I doubt they put on half the show today that they did back in the day, but I imagine they sound 10x worse.

+1

I remember parts of the 70's where a couple of my buds were big time KISS fans...I had heard a couple of their albums and just wasn't that impressed. Got talked into one of their concerts in 79 and they were simply amazing live, just an incredible stage show...

Another one was Ted Nugent back in the late 70's when Derek St. Holmes was the lead singer...Ted was simply one of the most hyper guitarists I've ever witnessed and even put Eddie down a notch or two...of course when he fired St. Holmes and took over the lead vocals himself his music went straight to hell...

REO Speedwagon. I think they would've played 5/6 hrs straight if people kept applauding enough for more encores - so appreciative of the audience vs a lot of POSs who have this semi-snotty elitest attitude.

Also Stevie Ray Vaughn, who warmed up REO. Simply blew the doors off the place.

Edited by BeeR

• 4 months later...

Damn I just watched a different Foo Fighters show, at MSG on TV tonight, I cant believe how much better live they are over any of their studio cuts. The next time they come to Chi-town I am there, God I love these guys live. Studio, meh not bad. Live = :wacko: !!

If you dont own Skin and Bones you should. The Camel has spoken.

Dave Matthews Band is incredible live. His live albums are much, much better than his studio albums in my opinion. The extra little jams and instrumentals that he adds into his songs on the live albums make his live stuff amazing to listen to.

+1

Been to 5-6 live shows of DMB - absolutely phenomenal.

I have every one of their albums in my iTunes library and never listen to the studio recorded stuff.

That's cuz you're young and basically missed the boat on incredible rock&roll bands...today's music sux!

Pearl Jam aren't exactly "today" but I see your point. That said, I've seen some very good concerts in the last few years involving bands younger than 65.

Saw Soundgarden back in '95? at Lollapoluzza and they were incredible..until the a-holes kept throwing frisbees at them and they cut out the encores.

Saw Metallica then too and they were...meh..But saw them a couple years earlier and they were da bomb.

Kiss was my very first concert and what a first concert it was back in '76. Bob Seger and The Silver Bullett Band opened up for them and they kicked some serious ass as well.

I am still on my Foo Fighters kick and have every CD except their 3rd(1999) and Skin and Bones(the live one previously mentioned). I will definately have to make that my next purchase. And count me in if/when they tour again.

Saw Thin Lizzy on their Live And Dangerous tour and they were fantastic. Yes was always great live. Sammy Hagar(before Van Halen) was excellent.

Saw Soundgarden back in '95? at Lollapoluzza and they were incredible..until the a-holes kept throwing frisbees at them and they cut out the encores.

Saw Metallica then too and they were...meh..But saw them a couple years earlier and they were da bomb.

Kiss was my very first concert and what a first concert it was back in '76. Bob Seger and The Silver Bullett Band opened up for them and they kicked some serious ass as well.

I am still on my Foo Fighters kick and have every CD except their 3rd(1999) and Skin and Bones(the live one previously mentioned). I will definately have to make that my next purchase. And count me in if/when they tour again.

Saw Thin Lizzy on their Live And Dangerous tour and they were fantastic. Yes was always great live. Sammy Hagar(before Van Halen) was excellent.

Run, dont walk, to the store and buy Skin and Bones. If you dont like it I will buy you a CD for your trouble. Just dont make me go to store and purchase a Sammy Hagar CD. I dont need that kind of embarassment!

One more token oldie vote, obvious as it is but didn't see: Frampton. And yeah I did see him in concert (about '90) and he was still extremely good. I will say I have heard some of his live DET tracks, though, and it was uneven and some outright bad.