[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need some doctor advice

Chief Dick

About 10 years ago I had an ACL reconstruction on my left knee. To make a long story short, about 6 months ago I was playing soccer and I'm fairly confident (95% sure) I tore it again. At this point have held off going to the doctor.

Lately it's really been bothersome to the point my whole left leg aches at times. I know at some point I'll have to have surgery, but I figure at some point later in life I will have a knee replacement. I'm 39 now, so the idea of going through another ACL reconstruction does not make me excited. My questions:

1. Can I possibly do any more damage by NOT repairing it at this time? I have pretty much eliminated any sporting activity other than golf, fishing, stuff like that.

2. Any other issues beyond the knee do I need to worry about? i.e. fluid getting in the joint causing infection....things like that.

If I get it fixed I will pay quite a bit out of pocket, but I can take money out pre-tax from my pay to cover it. But the timetable if I go this route would be about a year from now.

Any experience or advice out there? Thanks in advance.

About 10 years ago I had an ACL reconstruction on my left knee. To make a long story short, about 6 months ago I was playing soccer and I'm fairly confident (95% sure) I tore it again. At this point have held off going to the doctor.

Lately it's really been bothersome to the point my whole left leg aches at times. I know at some point I'll have to have surgery, but I figure at some point later in life I will have a knee replacement. I'm 39 now, so the idea of going through another ACL reconstruction does not make me excited. My questions:

1. Can I possibly do any more damage by NOT repairing it at this time? I have pretty much eliminated any sporting activity other than golf, fishing, stuff like that.

2. Any other issues beyond the knee do I need to worry about? i.e. fluid getting in the joint causing infection....things like that.

If I get it fixed I will pay quite a bit out of pocket, but I can take money out pre-tax from my pay to cover it. But the timetable if I go this route would be about a year from now.

:wacko:

I'm no expert, but isn't an ACL tear pretty painful? Are you in a significant amount of pain? If not, maybe there's a chance you're just having some residual tendinitis. Is it really the entire left leg that aches? Or just the knee? I've had tendinitis in my knees for years. Now I have acute arthritis in my foot. I know what it feels like to have f'ed up twigs.

1. I don't think you can do much more damage to it, if it is in fact re-torn. I do know, however, that the technology has progressed significantly in the past decade, so perhaps one last attempt would do the trick. I think there'd be a higher chance of other injuries playing golf if you were compensating for the balky knee. I'd get it fixed, personally... even if I was eliminating "other" sports.

2. As I hinted to above, I would worry about other injuries caused by you compensating for the bum knee. I don't know about fluid in that knee causing problems... I can, though, confirm that other injuries are possible if you're compensating. That's how I got tendinitis in both knees. :D

Good luck.

:wacko:

I'm no expert, but isn't an ACL tear pretty painful? Are you in a significant amount of pain? If not, maybe there's a chance you're just having some residual tendinitis. Is it really the entire left leg that aches? Or just the knee? I've had tendinitis in my knees for years. Now I have acute arthritis in my foot. I know what it feels like to have f'ed up twigs.

It hurts during the initial injury but afterwords not so bad. At this point it is more sore than anything, and there are good days and bad days. I know arthritis will come quicker for me as well.

It hurts during the initial injury but afterwords not so bad. At this point it is more sore than anything, and there are good days and bad days. I know arthritis will come quicker for me as well.

Sorry to confirm this to be true. I jacked up my left foot on numerous occasions, the most recent being a very odd sprain where instead of rolling in, like 99% of ankle sprains, it rolled the other way and actually sprained the TOP of my foot. Hurt like a mofo. Probably one of the most painful injuries I ever had. Since then, I've had pretty bad arthritis in that foot (confirmed by doctor).

Can't hurt to go to the doc for an exam and MRI.

Strengthen the muscles of the leg as much as you can. water water water aerobic on that leg.

Than do the surgery.

If you just tore the acl the rehab is not nearly as hard, By all means the rehab is not easy. But if you tear up other stuff its alot harder.By delaying the surgery you risk further injury. You are going to be carrying something while walking down a flight of stairs and that knee will unexpected buckle on you. Than you have a broken neck to deal with.

He is missing the one on the left side since childhood.

So I guess my question then is this.....what tendon provides the most stability to the knee or do they all work together...and why do ACL tears end seasons if he doesn't even have one? Thanks for digging that up Big John.

You may not be able to have knee replacement as soon as you think. I have a friend here in his early 50's who wanted to have replacement instead of repair and the doctor wouldn't do it saying he was still young enough and in good enpugh physical condition that repairing the bad knee was the best option.

You really should consider getting your knee fixed. Not doing so will cause you to favor it, thus putting unusual stress on other joints, most likely your other knee. Before long you'll have 2 bad ones.

Like the other posters said, you should at least see your doctor or preferably an orthopedic surgeon for advice.