[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Today's stock market

muck

The awful thing about this isn't simply the fact that we are bleeding money as investors. It's not knowing where it's going to stop. For the buy and hold investor, I'd rather just have the market hit its low tomorrow (however low it's going to be) and then begin the recovery. :wacko:

for those that don't know:

The DOW 30

3M Co.

Alcoa Inc.

American Express Co.

AT&T

Bank of America

Boeing Co.

Caterpillar Inc.

Chevron

Citigroup Inc.

Coca-Cola Co.

E.I. DuPont de Nemours

Exxon Mobil Corp.

General Electric Co.

General Motors Corp.

Hewlett-Packard Co.

Home Depot Inc.

Honeywell International Inc.

Intel Corp.

International Business Machines Corp.

Johnson & Johnson

JPMorgan Chase & Co.

Kraft Foods

McDonald's Corp.

Merck & Co. Inc.

Microsoft Corp.

Pfizer Inc.

Procter & Gamble Co.

United Technologies Corp.

Verizon Communications Inc.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc.

Walt Disney Co.

Interesting little tidbit:

The Dow Jones Industrial Average is a stock market index originally created by Charles Dow which, today, consists of 30 large, widely held public companies.

The index was first published on May 26th, 1896 and included only 12 companies which at the time were the most important in American business. General Electric is the only company on the original list that still remains in the index.

Edited by keggerz

Why the decine? Because the bailout didn't go through?

As if anyone believes it isn't gonna happen in one form or another

Yes. Investors losing faith.

I do think there will be some form of bailout. Not real sure how I feel about it.

I'm very curious as to what tomorrow brings. It could be worse.

so has anyone made any money selling short or buying puts?

Yes, in one of the funds I manage (very high risk), I've been short since mid May. Today, that fund was up about 20%.

In different fund I manage (very high risk), funding for investments was pulled by Morgan Stanley and JP Morgan (due to the incredibly tight credit markets and rumors swirling about Morgan Stanley's creditworthiness) and we lost about 25% last Thursday / Friday.

In a third fund I manage (tries to be very low risk), we have made money every day this month, and have made money every month for nearly four years.

A fourth fund I manage (higher risk than the third fund mentioned above), we have made money every day this month and every month since it was started in April (or May, I forget).

A fifth fund I manage ... I have no idea if we have made money or lost money as everything in there is so long term (and nearly none of it is publicly traded) it doesn't make sense to try to value it each day; even quarterly valuations are probably too frequent.

...so, it's a rather manic proposition to be a full-time investor in these times...

Yes, in one of the funds I manage (very high risk), I've been short since mid May. Today, that fund was up about 20%.

In different fund I manage (very high risk), funding for investments was pulled by Morgan Stanley and JP Morgan (due to the incredibly tight credit markets and rumors swirling about Morgan Stanley's creditworthiness) and we lost about 25% last Thursday / Friday.

In a third fund I manage (tries to be very low risk), we have made money every day this month, and have made money every month for nearly four years.

A fourth fund I manage (higher risk than the third fund mentioned above), we have made money every day this month and every month since it was started in April (or May, I forget).

A fifth fund I manage ... I have no idea if we have made money or lost money as everything in there is so long term (and nearly none of it is publicly traded) it doesn't make sense to try to value it each day; even quarterly valuations are probably too frequent.

...so, it's a rather manic proposition to be a full-time investor in these times...

3 out of 4 ain't bad...I might just have to look you up!

Yes. Investors losing faith.

I do think there will be some form of bailout. Not real sure how I feel about it.

I'm very curious as to what tomorrow brings. It could be worse.

I am not really 100% sold on the bailout either - after all, if the market is efficient, isn't a bailout f*cking up a needed correction?

But both parties have basically said it's necessary; as soon as they get done swinging their dicks around and it gets done...well, that still might not solve the problem. But everyone will feel better for a week or two.

Isn't the first fund where you are shorting the S&P 500. That was a good call....as I thought it would trade flat from may to december....I still have a chance!