[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If Oil is down to $94 a gallon,

Sgt Ryan

I don't think "doing the right thing" includes accelerating our consumption of a critical, finite resource because you aren't willing to take the bus. If you want to lower your gas bill, then just buy less of it.

No one is asking for acceleration. Just keep production levels where they should be, where they were. And there is no bus route in the city I live. Sorry, I dont live in the hood. In fact Ive never seen a taxi here either. Now I have seen limos here, but I dont think they are cheaper than my Tahoe. :wacko:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The gas they are selling now was made from $110 a barrell oil, they have to cover the cost of their inventory, you will see prices go down once the $94 a barrll oil is refined and hits he market.

This would be a great argument if gas prices didn't also jump every time there was speculation that oil prices might go up.

Show alittle personal responsibility and stop bitching. You drive a Tahoe and have the gull to complain about gas prices?

I have a family of 5, and we travel for baseball and cheerleading events almost weekly all over the state. I want comfort, and quality. Im not complaining about a 50K vehicle, but when it costs 90-100 to fill it up twice a week.

I have a family of 5, and we travel for baseball and cheerleading events almost weekly all over the state. I want comfort, and quality. Im not complaining about a 50K vehicle, but when it costs 90-100 to fill it up twice a week.

Wife, two sons and a daughter here. I bought a Nissan Quest (24 MPG HWY) for the family. Seats 8, very comfortably and is very reliable. Full tank is about $50-55 dollars. We scaled way back on the mileage when the prices crept up.

Paid 3.19 this morning in Tucson...

We're getting hit hard here because of Ike. A lot of stations are out of 87. But even 87 is $3.50. I paid $3.65 for mid-grade the other day because the station was out of 87.

Usually Texas is below the average. Not right now.

I'm in Texas, we haven't had any shortages. Regular is $3.35, Plus is $3.46 and Premium is $3.69. Of course we didn't complain when they built a refinery her in our city. We thanked them for the jobs it created, and the realtively cheap gas it provides us.

I don't think "doing the right thing" includes accelerating our consumption of a critical, finite resource because you aren't willing to take the bus. If you want to lower your gas bill, then just buy less of it.

Besides, it isn't like the oil companies want gas to get TOO high - spikes up to/over $4 a gallon result in people doing crazy stuff like finding alternative fuel sources, taking mass transit, riding bikes, buying smaller cars, etc etc

Big Oil wants their profits to be merely obnoxious, not obscene. It is in their best interests.

Besides, it isn't like the oil companies want gas to get TOO high - spikes up to/over $4 a gallon result in people doing crazy stuff like finding alternative fuel sources, taking mass transit, riding bikes, buying smaller cars, etc etc

Big Oil wants their profits to be merely obnoxious, not obscene. It is in their best interests.

Ive never heard it put any better than that. May I borrow that line?

Let's get past the fact that I disagree with you on every point.

Do you think the government has ANY right to determine a private companies production level? If Exxon and Shell decided to stop producing gasoline, do you think the government should intervene? You talk like these private business have some duty to the American public. Kinda sounding like a commie.

This is an interesting question.

If all the farmers decided to produce much less food but sell it at a greatly increased cost, would we consider that the government has any right to intervene?

This is not a commie issue. This is a necessity of society issue. Most people can't get around the need to buy gas, just like most people can't get around the need to buy food. Food is a bit more critical, but both have become purchase items that Americans are not in a position to avoid buying.

In a case like that I do think that there should be some ability of the gov't to regulate production and sale so that Americans can function reasonably

This is an interesting question.

If all the farmers decided to produce much less food but sell it at a greatly increased cost, would we consider that the government has any right to intervene?

This is not a commie issue. This is a necessity of society issue. Most people can't get around the need to buy gas, just like most people can't get around the need to buy food. Food is a bit more critical, but both have become purchase items that Americans are not in a position to avoid buying.

In a case like that I do think that there should be some ability of the gov't to regulate production and sale so that Americans can function reasonably

If farmers started producing less to increase the price of food, I might be tempted to plant a garden. If oil companies start producing significantly less in order to increase the price, maybe we see a new oil company.

With regards to production, it seems that the places where shortages are noted are in areas that require special blends. One would assume that a refinery has to be set up to produce a specific blend. With the hurricanes that have recently hit two areas where a significant amount of the refining takes place, is it unreasonable to assume that the lack of these specific blends has more to do with the disruption in the refining proess caused by the hurricanes than it does the greed of the oil companies?

Come on now, seriously?

See monopoly.

Even better, the price of oil might make other technologies viable. Or cause some inventor to get so pissed off he figures out how to pull static electricity from the air to create kinetic energy. Stifling these things are the unintended consequences of government interference.

Even better, the price of oil might make other technologies viable. Or cause some inventor to get so pissed off he figures out how to pull static electricity from the air to create kinetic energy. Stifling these things are the unintended consequences of government interference.

Sorry, but I just do not buy that even a tiny bit.

There are two types of supply demand issues in this case:

1) Basic necessity of living in society

2) Everything else.

in the 1) category I would put food, clothes, shelter (including the need to heat and power that shelter), medical care and the ability to get transported to a place of employment.

If alternative methods of energy need to be developed there is a terrific way the gov't can encourage that that the free market can't: minimize the risk my funding technological development. There is nothing about regulating the oil industry as it relates to energy development.

I generally believe in less government as it applies to the economy and letting capitalism take it's course, but I also believe in keeping companies from completely gaffing people on items they can't really function without.

I have a family of 5, and we travel for baseball and cheerleading events almost weekly all over the state. I want comfort, and quality. Im not complaining about a 20K vehicle, but when it costs 90-100 to fill it up twice a week.

Had to fix that error.

Id buy another one, if I could get it at that price.

You can get a 2005 Tahoe with under 25K miles on it for $15K.

2006 with 40K miles for 19K.

They're not that popular.

The price of oil would make other technologies viable right now if we stopped subsidizing it.

You can get a 2005 Tahoe with under 25K miles on it for $15K.

2006 with 40K miles for 19K.

They're not that popular.

The price of oil would make other technologies viable right now if we stopped subsidizing it.

There was a body change in 2007, so of course the old style is going to be cheap. And I dont buy used vehicles. Id rather have something in warranty, and drive something new.

There was a body change in 2007, so of course the old style is going to be cheap. And I dont buy used vehicles. Id rather have something in warranty, and drive something new.

I will wait for you to take the hit with depreciation and save money every year on a vehicle.