[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who's not quite right? Manning or Harrison

fantasyfreak

I have Harrison on my fantasy team so I've been watching the Colts results this season. Both Manning and Harrison have been having sub-par years. So far this year, I've heard Harrison getting ripped for "aging" and "not recovered from his injury." I've also heard the Wayne (and Gonzalez) has passed him by. I've been trying to decide for myself if Harrison is really "done."

Dungy has said that Harrison is "back" and the numbers have shown that Harrison has been getting plenty of targets (7-8). Also, Wayne's targets were not much greater than Harrison's targets. I was offered hope when he burned Baltimore for two TDs. Still, Harrison has been very erratic leaving many questions.

Tonight, I actually got to see a complete Colts game. After watching the game and the post-game highlights, and llstening to Trent Dilfer, I believe Manning is the one who is not "back" yet. Harrison appeared to be open several times but Manning was unable to deliver the ball. You could also see Manning have trouble delivering the ball to Wayne who has put together a couple of very sub-par games. It seemed like Manning could only get the ball the the TE and RB on short and/or over the middle passes. I also do not believe Wayne is that far ahead of Harrison (and Gonzalez is only getting catches b/c he's running the underneath routes).

What do you guys think about this situation?

Edited by fantasyfreak

I think there is truth that both are off a beat this season at one time or another.

However,

Harrison was in single coverage and had Nick Harper very beat on a post route into the end-zone, Peyton saw it, made the throw and the ball landed right between Harrison and Harper. If he had led Harrison even a tad bit it would have been an easy touchdown.

Was a very un-Peyton like throw, any other season he would have made it effotlessly. Definitely caught my attention.

Edited by kpholmes

Certainly a few of the throws could have been better and allowed the coverage to get there. However, one thing I very much noticed was Harrison was not very active in going for balls. He seemed to be waiting for the ball to drop into his lap even when the coverage was tight. I was honestly surprised to see this.

Actually, there was a similar play with Wayne. Perhaps these guys are so used to Manning putting it just where it should be that they're less adept at reaching back and fighting for the ball with a DB. On the other hand, maybe the plays made by the DBs were just that good that even someone used to catching balls in the NFL was genuinely surprised that the coverage got there.

Certainly a few of the throws could have been better and allowed the coverage to get there. However, one thing I very much noticed was Harrison was not very active in going for balls. He seemed to be waiting for the ball to drop into his lap even when the coverage was tight. I was honestly surprised to see this.

Actually, there was a similar play with Wayne. Perhaps these guys are so used to Manning putting it just where it should be that they're less adept at reaching back and fighting for the ball with a DB. On the other hand, maybe the plays made by the DBs were just that good that even someone used to catching balls in the NFL was genuinely surprised that the coverage got there.

I noticed Harrison's lack of aggression going after balls too.....of course, it also looked to me like he had no shot at some of those balls - it was hard to tell.

Manning's still not right. Neither is Harrison. They both had the exact same surgery to remove a bursa sac. Harrison's was just older

fixed

Harrison is done- he hasn't lost a step, he has lost 2 and can't get deep or any separation. The end comes quick for WR's.

PM looks off as well- doesn't seem to be stepping into throws like normal and he threw several ducks last night

fixed

Harrison is done- he hasn't lost a step, he has lost 2 and can't get deep or any separation. The end comes quick for WR's.

PM looks off as well- doesn't seem to be stepping into throws like normal and he threw several ducks last night

I don't know if I agree with Harrison being done. It looked like he was open with seperation on multiple occasions last night. I don't think the Colts would keep throwing to him like they do if they though he has lost 2 steps - they do have other options.

What about the protection of Manning? Isn't that supposedly one of the biggest issues? I haven't watched enough Colts myself this year to say either way but I've heard comments... how about you homers... is he getting enough protection?

Last night most of those misses were squarely on Peyton's narrow shoulders. The passes where the defenders made great plays and tipped them were all under thrown by about 3 yards...if he had been leading his receivers (both Wayne and Harrison) those are easy catches and long gainers.

Protection is an issue...on the crossing pattern to Wayne, Peyton could not get his feet set because the pocket was collapsing...but thats a throw I've seen Peyton make 100 times with the pocket collapsing. He's just not right yet, whether it be his knee or his supposedly "sore" shoulder, he's not getting the ball where it needs to be velocity and accuracy he normally does.

WashD

What struck me last night was that one long sideline shot of Manning.... rarely, if ever do I recall seeing him look so down, seemingly lacking that swagger and confidence he has always had. He looked beaten. Usually, he's all over some film, or talking with his recievers and the offense on the sideline.

I think Harrison has lost a step, but honestly, I wonder if the entire team is lacking confidence right now. Manning is the leader, and if the leader lacks confidence, does it trickle down? Pure conjecture on my part... gut feel, but that's the way it looks to me.

Edited by Rovers

Both are off. I think Manning is a little more off right now -- even without Marvelous Marv he has a solid crew of receivers that he should be getting the ball to. But I think Harrison's decline is going to be a permanent one, whereas Manning is just reeling a little bit from the surgery and missing training camp.

Last night, except for a couple plays, the protection was great. No excuses there. Manning just seems to be rushing things.

The Colts haven't been in this situation in a long time. Since Mora's last year. They aren't handling it well.

As for Harrison, I think he was passed by Wayne over the last couple years. You did see Wayne's stats last year right? Granted Harrison was hurt, but Wayne has developed into a top-tier receiver like Harrison used to be.

Peyton definitely seems off with his targeting. Is he just playing more hurt than we know? He seemed to be limping a little during last night's game. Anyone else notice?

As for Harrison, I think he was passed by Wayne over the last couple years. You did see Wayne's stats last year right? Granted Harrison was hurt, but Wayne has developed into a top-tier receiver like Harrison used to be.

Peyton definitely seems off with his targeting. Is he just playing more hurt than we know? He seemed to be limping a little during last night's game. Anyone else notice?

I've seen that, and he also just looks a little "off," for lack of a better term -- like you'll see him kind of staring off into space from time to time. I think it has to be a factor. Regardless of what position you play, an NFL season is a physical pounding and it has to be tough to come back from a surgery and a wasted offseason that quickly with little or no warmup.

Manning looked pretty damn good throwing to Clark.

His short throws looked decent, it's his long ball that has everyone worried. Other than his 26 yarder to Clark, all of his other passes were 15 yards and under, and he noticeably missed a few deep ones in the end zone.

agreed, for the most part....but i remember one or two where Harrison had the d beat but couldn't

catch up to the ball.....not because it was over thrown, but imo, becuase he has lost a step.

hey, Harrison, didnt play last year, Manning didnt play pre-season, maybe they are just trying

to get 're-acquainted' with each other. could be, but i really think Harrison has slowed down.

ps- now watch, i'll be eating my words come sunday night when Harrison torches Hobbs for a 52 yd TD....*shakes head*

I noticed Harrison's lack of aggression going after balls too.....of course, it also looked to me like he had no shot at some of those balls - it was hard to tell.

I have noticed the lack of aggression to. balls that Harrison would of fingertipped before are not getting caught.

What about the protection of Manning? Isn't that supposedly one of the biggest issues? I haven't watched enough Colts myself this year to say either way but I've heard comments... how about you homers... is he getting enough protection?

Although not a homer it seems to me the line has not been what it was. it has showed in the running and passing games.

I disagree about Wayne passing him by the last coupe years ago. this is the 1st year that Wayne has consistantly got the double teams.IMO your best WR is the guy who gets doubled and this is Waynes 1st year of getting more doubles while Harrison is in the lineup.

Overall I agree with the majority that both Harrison and Wayne are not 100 % and that is ruining there timing . plus the line is slightly downgraded too . add those things together and we have this years Colt offense. I think they have gotten better(especially Peyton) though since the beginning of the season. they just ran into a tough Titan defense this week.