[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RMN article on Torain

Bronco Billy

Cutler's finger seems fine-Torain says he's ready

Cutler Shows His Finger's Feeling Much Better

Text 4broncos to 66247 sign up for CBS4 Broncos text alerts More Info

By Pat Graham, AP Sports Writer

DENVER (AP) ―

Jay Cutler declared the dinged-up index finger on his throwing hand is feeling fine.

The Denver Broncos' quarterback effortlessly validated the point, winging a pass nearly 60 yards downfield in practice Wednesday.

"It feels pretty good," he said. "Got lucky."

Lucky that he didn't suffer a similar fate as Tony Romo, who's been sidelined since breaking the pinkie finger on his throwing hand on Oct. 12.

Cutler's finger swelled up after he smacked it on a helmet during the first play of a 41-7 loss to New England, but it wasn't broken -- just bumped and bruised.

The concern proved pointless as Cutler's zip hasn't dipped due to the dinged digit.

Just ask Michael Pittman.

"He's playing like the Jay I know," said Pittman, who plans on being available Sunday against Miami despite sore ribs. "He's got a real strong arm, one of the strongest quarterbacks I've been around. I plan on Jay having a big game this weekend."

He had a game he'd rather forget at New England. Cutler threw for a season-low 168 yards and two interceptions. He also sat out a series late in the first half due to the finger, leading to an elbow injury to backup Patrick Ramsey that knocked him out for the year.

Cutler was also banged up trying to chase down Andre Hall's second fumble of the game, with Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork elbowing Cutler in the helmet.

"I think I got rolled up by (Rodney) Harrison and then on my way back up, I think (Wilfork) gave me a forearm to the head," said Cutler, who felt "a little dizzy" following the hit. "I guess they called him in on it."

Wilfork will be fined but not suspended by the NFL after meeting with commissioner Roger Goodell, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press.

With his finger no longer a concern, Cutler can turn his attention to another irksome issue -- fixing a scuffling offense.

The Broncos may soon have some of their absent arsenal back as Brandon Stokley is nearing full strength after a concussion, while Selvin Young (groin) and Tony Scheffler (groin) both think they're close to returning.

All three practiced on a limited basis Wednesday along with Hall (ankle).

"To not be a part of (the offense) in the past couple of weeks and having to sit back and watch has been tough," Scheffler said. "Hopefully, I'll get back out there this week."

Cutler can't wait to have those playmakers back at his disposal.

"It helps out our offense, what we're trying to do. It doesn't limit us," Cutler said.

The return of Stokley could help alleviate the pressure on Brandon Marshall, who's drawing a steady dose of double coverage. Even with the added attention, Marshall is still tied for third in the league with 49 catches.

"We've just got to find ways to get him the ball," Cutler said.

An effective ground game could open up things for Marshall and the rest of the receivers.

Enter Ryan Torain.

With Young hobbled, Hall having trouble holding onto the football and Pittman's ribs aching, the Broncos may trot out Torain, a rookie from Arizona State who's been missing since breaking a bone in his elbow in August.

"I'm excited to play," Torain said. "It just feels good to be back."

His arrival couldn't come at a more opportune time.

"He just adds a little juice to the backfield," Cutler said. "To get fresh legs back there, it's definitely going to help. I think he's going to help us out a lot."

Before the injury, Torain was looking at carries in short-yardage situations, a role that Pittman thrived in before being promoted to lead tailback when Young went down.

Torain is anxious to return to that role -- or any other.

"I'll definitely be ready," he said.

Cutler is preparing to face a swarm of Dolphins defenders led by linebacker Joey Porter, the league leader with 10 1/2 sacks.

"You've got to keep your eye on that guy," said Cutler, who's thrown at least one touchdown pass in his last eight games. "Their whole defense is getting pressure and causing a lot of fumbles, which we have been prone to the last three or four games."

Turnovers have terrorized the team this season. The Denver offense has surrendered the ball 12 times over the last four weeks, thwarting one scoring chance after another.

"We're driving the ball on a lot of people. It's just when we get down there in the red zone we find a way to turn over the ball," Pittman said. "If we eliminate that and go out there and perform, we'll start putting up the points again."

You guys know what's going to happen, dont ya? He's going to play well this weekend on the bench of almost everyone who owns him. lnstead of the normal frustration owners feel at leaving points on the bench, however, RT owners will cream their pants because they think all the time they waited and patience they've shown is about to be rewarded. Others will snatch him up off the WW like they have found gold. Everyone will excitedly insert him in their starting lineup for week 10 and then watch as Andre Hall runs for 102 yards and scores 2X against the Browns. :D

Its going to happen. Its the Denver running game :wacko:

You guys know what's going to happen, dont ya? He's going to play well this weekend on the bench of almost everyone who owns him. lnstead of the normal frustration owners feel at leaving points on the bench, however, RT owners will cream their pants because they think all the time they waited and patience they've shown is about to be rewarded. Others will snatch him up off the WW like they have found gold. Everyone will excitedly insert him in their starting lineup for week 10 and then watch as Andre Hall runs for 102 yards and scores 2X against the Browns. :D

Its going to happen. Its the Denver running game :wacko:

That is why I am going to start him this week

Its going to happen. Its the Denver running game :D

I still expect someone making minimum wage sweeping the floor at Invesco will be signed and get that 102 yards. :wacko:

That is why I am going to start him this week

I am almost forced to start him this week, due to bye week and injury crappola. I am not feeling it right now, regarding Torain, but either he sits in my flex position (WR/RB) or I have to cut someone to pick up a serviceable receiver.

If I knew the answer to the Colts RB mess, I could cut loose Rhodes if Addai was sure to play. I guess, I could start Rhodes and Addai, and sit Torain. :wacko:

Anyway, I have a gut feeling that Torain may play more than I even believe he should, just because Shanahan likes to do some things, when they work, that make people think he's a genius. Starting a rookie RB, who hasn't played for over a year, could be one of those, "Man, that Shanahan dude sure is brilliant and tricky." :D

Yes, I am geeked for a "rest of the season, lightning in a bottle" kind of player, but after watching some of those clips that Bronco Billy put up, yes, he's got that great cut back step. The other thing I noticed is that he looks like he is always falling forward when he comes through the line, which makes him easier to bring down, because his CG (Center of Gravity).

Seriously, I hope for the best, but that CG issue in the open field reminds me a lot of two Cowboys I watched struggle for the past several years: Julius Jones and Troy Hambrick. Can get it going, but then go down rather easy, making it look like a lunge for more yards at the end of the play.

The other thing I noticed is that he looks like he is always falling forward when he comes through the line

This is called "lean" in scouting reports, and is a highly desirable quality in a RB. You want a RB who runs under his pads with lean - he gets an extra 1-2 yds every time he's tackled.. That's exactly Torain's running style.

I am almost forced to start him this week, due to bye week and injury crappola. I am not feeling it right now, regarding Torain, but either he sits in my flex position (WR/RB) or I have to cut someone to pick up a serviceable receiver.

If I knew the answer to the Colts RB mess, I could cut loose Rhodes if Addai was sure to play. I guess, I could start Rhodes and Addai, and sit Torain. :wacko:

Anyway, I have a gut feeling that Torain may play more than I even believe he should, just because Shanahan likes to do some things, when they work, that make people think he's a genius. Starting a rookie RB, who hasn't played for over a year, could be one of those, "Man, that Shanahan dude sure is brilliant and tricky." :D

Yes, I am geeked for a "rest of the season, lightning in a bottle" kind of player, but after watching some of those clips that Bronco Billy put up, yes, he's got that great cut back step. The other thing I noticed is that he looks like he is always falling forward when he comes through the line, which makes him easier to bring down, because his CG (Center of Gravity).

Seriously, I hope for the best, but that CG issue in the open field reminds me a lot of two Cowboys I watched struggle for the past several years: Julius Jones and Troy Hambrick. Can get it going, but then go down rather easy, making it look like a lunge for more yards at the end of the play.

I've decided to start Torain in Huddle Ladder....SJax is the starter, I have LenDale for TD's and Torain's the wildcard.....WILDCARD B!TCHES

That highlight video leaves a lot to be desired.

No speed, no acceleration, no power, no moves. Just run up the gut. Only positives about that video is he keeps moving his legs during contact, falls forward, and can carry the ball in either arm. Very average looking back according to that video. Didn't do anything special or create anything himself. But the Broncos don't have much else to go with, so that's reason to hope.

Wish there was more video on him to judge better. Based on that one, color me unimpressed.

No speed, no acceleration, no power, no moves. Just run up the gut. Only positives about that video is he keeps moving his legs during contact, falls forward, and can carry the ball in either arm. Very average looking back according to that video. Didn't do anything special or create anything himself. But the Broncos don't have much else to go with, so that's reason to hope.

Wish there was more video on him to judge better. Based on that one, color me unimpressed.

I dunno...I just watched the video for the 1st time actually and I'm usually wary of the smaller backs that outrun other players in college...he seems more interested in moving the chains rather than trying to hit a homerun every time he touches the ball...

I think he has a style that can translate pretty well in an NFL offense, especially on the Broncos and their zone blocking scheme that they are so famous for...he just has to stay healthy....

I disagree. At first glance, Torain may look average, but when I kept watching the video, I became entranced by his footwork. His agility is outstanding.

Edited by fantasyfreak

Be careful with Torain for this week and make sure to get all the up to date info. Just read this...

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=480450

Notes: Broncos RB Andre Hall (ankle) didn't practice Thursday, while TE Tony Scheffler (groin), WR Brandon Stokley (concussion) and RB Selvin Young (groin) participated on a limited basis. ... WR Brandon Marshall appeared on the injury report with a groin injury, but fully participated in practice. ... Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said his preference is to keep rookie RB Ryan Torain out Sunday to give him more time to come back from his elbow injury. But the Broncos may need him, given their dinged-up backfield. "We'll wait and see," Shanahan said of Torain's debut.

Should be interesting. If the Broncos have no other options, Shanny's hand will be forced. However, maybe Torain doesn't make his debut until next week @ the Browns. :wacko:

With you on that. I think it was a poor collection of clips. A lot of the clips were at field level and had the feel of a Bourne Identity fight scene.

Quite a few of the conventional views were of him gashing Stanford or Washington.

Looking at his game log he did ok versus some better programs. I'd like to see highlights from those games. Looks like he has skills. We'll see if they translate to the pros soon enough.

This is called "lean" in scouting reports, and is a highly desirable quality in a RB. You want a RB who runs under his pads with lean - he gets an extra 1-2 yds every time he's tackled.. That's exactly Torain's running style.

I don't disagree with you one bit. However, in this case, and ONLY from the clips a I saw above, it appeared his "lean" was more like Hambrick's lean. One that does produce the extra couple yards, but also does not bode well for a longer run, as he will get the extra yards from the lean, but a slight push from the back, by a defender, can send him down for those couple extra yards, instead of keeping his legs under him and gaining maybe 5 more.

It just appeared that way to me in my initial, and only viewing of the clips. I guess I like the legs under him to drive for more yardage, than to fall forward for more yardage.

Don't get me wrong, this guy has some great ability, and I am pulling for him...... not just for my fantasy team, but because I like the things he says/writes in his blog that you have posted. I want him to do well, and he definitely excites me more than any of the other RB's they have there.

:wacko: