[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RMN article on Torain

Bronco Billy

Link to Rocky Mountain Neews article

Long wait nearly over for Broncos' Torain

Rookie back hopes to bring 'big plays, excitement' to team

By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)

Published October 28, 2008 at 6:25 p.m.

Time marches on. Not run, not jog, lope or skip.

March.

"I know, I know, it feels like forever," Broncos rookie running back Ryan Torain said. "It hasn't gone fast. I've thought about it every day. If you play football you want to play. It's no fun to wait to play."

If Torain gets the first game action of his NFL career Sunday against the Miami Dolphins (2:05 p.m., CBS 4), it will have been 386 days since he left the field of Arizona State's Sun Devil Stadium in the first quarter of a game against Washington because "somebody just stepped on my foot."

That was the last time Torain carried a football in a game.

And when all the tests were done, Torain was told he had suffered a Lisfranc injury to his left foot - an injury to the arch where the small bones at midfoot can be dislocated or fractured. For a senior running back hoping for an NFL career, it can be devastating news.

"I didn't think it was that big a thing at first," Torain said. "But a lot's happened since then."

He opted for a relatively new surgical procedure, performed by an orthopedist affiliated with the Phoenix Suns. It required only one surgery, instead of the usual two for Torain's type of injury, and buttons were used instead of screws to repair the ligaments in his foot.

It all meant Torain healed quickly enough to participate in the scouting combine in February. And when the Broncos started training camp, he was on the field and steadily moving up the depth chart - coach Mike Shanahan publicly had compared some of his work to Terrell Davis' - when misfortune intervened again.

During a run-game drill, he was flipped at the end of a run, suffering a fracture near his left elbow as he tried to break his fall as well as some ligament damage.

But the Broncos kept him on the 53-man roster because they believed, despite the need for surgery, he could return with a little more than half a season remaining and have some impact.

After practicing full time in the week leading to the Patriots game, Torain believes he finally is poised to play at least some against the Dolphins.

"I thought about coming back every day," Torain said. "I'm ready to get back out there. I'm ready to play a game. I haven't played one in the National Football League, and I'm excited to see what happens. It was my motivation: Nobody wants to sit on the sidelines; that's what I used to push myself."

At 6-foot-1, 225 pounds and having run the 40-yard dash in 4.51 seconds in his on-campus workout in the spring, Torain is the best power/speed option in the Broncos backfield.

Quarterback Jay Cutler said it would be difficult for defenses to adjust quickly because they have no video of Torain in the team's offense because he did not play even in the preseason.

"He's going to bring some excitement," Cutler said.

"He's a load," Broncos defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban said. "People can expect brute force and speed. He looks big and you think he's just a north-south guy, but he has elusiveness, too, and I think he's coming in at a good time."

Selvin Young, the Broncos' leading rusher last season, has missed the past two games because of a groin injury, while Michael Pittman, who started the past two games, is working through neck and rib injuries.

The Broncos haven't scored a rushing touchdown in the past four games and currently are 12th in the league in rushing; they haven't finished out of the top 10 since 1999.

"He's still a rookie, still has some learning to do," Ekuban said. "It might be four games in before he feels comfortable all the way, gets his durability right. But the sky's the limit for him."

"Hopefully, I bring some big plays, excitement," Torain said. "I just want to have a good time out there. Football is all about having fun and winning, so that's what I want to bring to the team. I don't feel pressure.

"You just got to come in there and play, play my game, and when it comes, I know I'm going to have a lot of adrenaline, a lot of excitement."

For those of you wanting to see why DEN is excited about him, here's his running style - tailor made for the DEN O:

Torain clips at youtube

Like I said, for anyone interested.

Bronco, I guess you did not read the fine print.....It states all Huddlers must read R Torain posts before logging onto thehuddle.com.

I do find it pretty interesting that Torain is the healthiest Denver RB and the lack of production from ground has really primed RT to take the starting job......which I think nobody can really deny.....also I do think this warrants the attention he has received.

That video clip isn't very impressive. I don't see the Denver OL opening holes that big.

That's the difference between the pros & college - seams are smaller & close quicker. What bears watching is his 1-cut style and his patience & then burst when the seam opens. He also shows ability to run inside and still be capable of extending on the stretch play (read - toss in the DEN O, something TD ran very, very well as a counter to his off tackle meat & potatoes). He also is notorious for punishing tacklers. I wish I could find the clip where he got to the outside & absolutely killed a DB who came up to tackle him - it would give any running game advocate quite the boner.

Edited by Bronco Billy

If this guy doesn't have 250 yards rushing and 4 TD's this weekend, he'll be a major disappointment. I own the guy in a dynasty league and I hope for the best, but the hype for a rookie RB with no NFL carries is ridiculous. He wasn't even a first round pick!

I didnt know only rookie RBs that were drafted in the 1st round were good.

If this guy doesn't have 250 yards rushing and 4 TD's this weekend, he'll be a major disappointment. I own the guy in a dynasty league and I hope for the best, but the hype for a rookie RB with no NFL carries is ridiculous. He wasn't even a first round pick!

umm Terrell Davis wasn't drafted until the 6th Round

Who was the last RB Skelator drafted in the 2nd round? Clinton something... :wacko:

F U Slaton....

Who was the last RB Skelator drafted in the 2nd round? Clinton something... :wacko:

I never said he had to be a first round pick to be good. I just said the hype was ridiculous for a guy that NFL scouts didn't consider first-round talent. But I guess everyone here knows more than they do. I'm sure he'll lead the NFL in rushing and break every TD record in only half a season.

Way to pick on one comment and ignore the rest of my post.

Bronco Billy can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he would've been considered a first-rounder if he hadn't broken his foot.

Shanahan has stated that Torain would have been a first round talent - in a very talented RB class, no less - had he not been hurt in the middle of last season. Torain's numbers, size, and measureables are consistent with that statement.

Shanahan has also made exaggerated comparisons in the past - but Torain was taking 1st team snaps in preseason when he got hurt, and DEN is currently ranked 12th in the NFL in rushing O despite the guys they've been using at RB. Shanahan also chose to keep him rostered despite knowing he wouldn't be ready until after the bye. That presents some potential for significant RB production.

I don't think anyone is predicting seeing a Ryan Grant-like performance that Grant put up in the 2nd half of the season last year. I also think most people see him as being a potentially utile #2 FF RB with some room for upside who could be had in the middle of the season in most leagues, if one were paying attention.

It's about opportunity and potential value at a time of the FF season where those qualities are rather thin.

Edited by Bronco Billy