[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers at Tennessee

Randall

Practice reports-

McCarthy's Wednesday media conference

Coach Mike McCarthy will address the media shortly here in the Lambeau Field auditorium. Refresh for the latest.

* First, the injury report from Packers media maven Jeff Blumb: LB Desmond Bishop (hamstring, did not participate), LT Chad Clifton (knees, limited), DE Jason Hunter (hamstring, full), LB Danny Lansanah (hamstring, full), DT Ryan Pickett (not injury related, limited), QB Aaron Rodgers (right shoulder, limited), CB Charles Woodson (toe, limited).

* On Rodgers' workload today: "He was on a pitch count. He took pretty much all the run game and was limited in the passing game." How many pitches? "It's irrelevant." Has time off helped shoulder? "Definitely." Strength, structure not an issue. He just needs rest. Will be on pitch count again Thursday, see where he's at on Friday to decide how much "shutdown time" he needs.

* Bishop had hamstring strain in Monday's practice. "It's really the responsibility of the individuals to make sure we're doing as much as we can" to prevent injuries.

* On DT Justin Harrell: "He's making progress. This is what he needs," to get into football shape. "He just cannot get enough work. ... This is exactly what he needs." How much could he help? "He would definitely part of the rotation. If we do go to him on the 53, I would foresee him being active" on game day. In best shape he's been since coming to Green Bay.

* How much did extended action affect defensive line in first seven games? "All those things were looked at. I just think it was a short-term situation. ... I think if we would have continued (with that many snaps), it definitely would have shown up in the second half of our season. I don't think it's a factor right now."

* On Titans DT Albert Haynesworth: Playing as well as any DT in league.

* On committing to run game: "Every game plan is ... true to itself. You want to run the football. It's important. We weren't gashing people the way we'd like to. ... The productivity, we want to be higher, there's no question about it."

* On Titans RBs: "They both present problems. ... They complement each other well."

* On getting S Atari Bigby back: Has history at LB because of how play in scheme. He's a major factor in run support, like Aaron Rouse. Have some flexibility there. Decided whether Bigby or Rouse will start on Sunday? "They're both taking reps."

* On preseason game: Game need to go back and look at to evaluate personnel, but don't put too much stock into it.

* How does CB Al Harris look? Good. Taken full dose of practice. "He looks good. He's had a good week so far." Will be evaluated Friday, as all injured players are. Try to protect him as much as can in practice. "I anticipate he'll be active for the game."

* On LB A.J. Hawk: Looks like has burst back.

* Play Brandon Chillar over Hawk in nickel defense? "You're got to utilize your personnel." (Doesn't really answer the question, but sounds like it's something that's being considered.)

* Why Titans one of elite teams? Play fundamentally sound. Not a team that tries to trick you, just play physical. Well-coached; have lot of respect for Jeff Fisher and staff. "They're just playing very consistently right now."

* See self coaching in Green Bay as long as Fisher's been in Tennessee? "I'd be all for it."

That's it for now.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

posted by PackersNews.com at 1:19 PM | 1 Comments

Wednesday practice report

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers (shoulder) threw some -- including a few deep balls -- during the jog-through portion at the beginning of practice but did not appear to throw after that.

Others who were either out or limited were:

CB Charles Woodson

LB Desmond Bishop

LT Chad Clifton

Woodson and Clifton took part in the jog-through period but then dropped out as is their usual Wednesday routine. Bishop did not appear to do anything, but his injury was not immediately known.

Returning to practice were:

DE Jason Hunter (hamstring)

LB Danny Lansanah (hamstring)

Also, DT Johnny Jolly was back on the field after missing Monday due to a court appearance in Texas.

I expect the Titans to have trouble moving the ball vs. the Pack.I think the bye week served the Packers well.Going to be a defensive struggle IMO.I like the Packers to pull the upset 17-14.

I think it will be a tight game with Titans winnign it on defense.

17-14 Titans

You are probably right but if the DT's and Barnett are healthy I may go the other way. It could even be a FG game.

Barnett has been healthy. AJ Hawk on the other hand....

I'm pretty worried about this game as a Packer fan. On the road against that defence is scary. And our run D hasn't been very good this year. I'm looking forward to watching a weekend of long drives by the Titans, eating up clock and keeping the ball out of Rodgers hands. When we do get the ball, unless there's been a magical change in the running game, Rodgers is going to be dropping back all day and probably getting hit allot.

I'm just hoping we get out of the game healthy. A win would be nice, but I'm not really expecting it. Best chance is to get a few big plays early and play with the lead. I know the Titans came back on the Colts, but they're not built to be able to dot that every week.

Hopefully Harrell can do something this year, especially with that jerk-off Jolly and his court issues.

I really want to see what he can do. He's very athletic for a big guy. He flashed some of his ability in the PS last year but has been hurt since.

Rodgers better get his vicodin ready. He faces Tenn, Minnesota, and Chicago within a span of 15 days.

That was Favre. These tough games may be just what the team needs.

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Practice notes: Rodgers limited again

The Packers held the first hour or so of today's practice outdoors on Clarke Hinkle Field in spite of blustery conditions, with a mild temperature around 50 but winds gusting close to 30 mph. They moved indoors for team periods.

* QB Aaron Rodgers (throwing shoulder) didn't throw at all during the jog-through portion of practice, save for some short tosses on the side. But he made a series of throws from about 20 yards once practice moved indoors and looked fine. He was expected to participate in team drills, though his "pitch" count would be limited.

* CB Al Harris (spleen) practiced again and spent an extended period catching balls from backup QBs Matt Flynn and Brian Brohm.

* CB Charles Woodson (toe) and LB Desmond Bishop (hamstring) didn't do much before leaving for treatment.

We'll have any injury updates and other newsworthy items later in the day.

UPDATE, 2:25 p.m.: The only change from Wednesday's injury report is the removal of DT Ryan Pickett, who got Wednesday off for rest.

Per coach Mike McCarthy ...

* Rodgers threw more today than on Wednesday and had "his best day" of practice throwing the football since being injured Sept. 28 at Tampa Bay. He'll be re-examined on Friday morning, like the other injured players, and any action he gets in practice Friday "will be light." Rest before the game is the priority.

* If Harris practices again on Friday like he did today, he'll start on Sunday. :wacko:

* The decision on whether to activate DT Justin Harrell (back) from the PUP list will be made after Friday's practice. Harrell is having soreness like most players experience in training camp. But that's too be expected, considering he sat out all offseason practices and the season's first six weeks.

* WR James Jones (knee), who isn't listed on the injury report, is back to full health and is getting work on special teams, at least in practice.

* Wind was the reason team drills were moving inside.

Green Bay - Focused on this season and not wanting to create a distraction for himself or the team, Green Bay Packers wide receiver Greg Jennings said he would prefer to wait until after the season to address his contract.

Jennings and quarterback Aaron Rodgers are two players the Packers have targeted for contract extensions, even though their deals aren't scheduled to expire until after the 2009 season.

Monday is the deadline for National Football League teams to apply any increase in a player's base salary to the 2008 salary cap, thereby allowing them to use up any available room they have now. The Packers have more than $20 million of salary cap space to burn and could use up a good chunk of it if they sign one of their younger players to a contract extension.

Jennings, who ranks second in the NFL in receiving yards and tied for 16th in receptions, is making a base salary of $445,000 this year. The four-year deal he signed as a second-round pick in 2006 included a $1.24 million signing bonus, and as one of the top producing receivers in the NFL he can strike now if he would like.

Yet it doesn't appear he will.

"I don't want to be a distraction," Jennings said. "I'm not trying to make a big deal out of anything that would take away from the team. I don't want to do any of that. If there is something going on, I don't even want to know about it."

It's possible Jennings' agent, Eugene Parker, has had discussions with the Packers but Jennings said his orders are to wait. He has told Parker that he doesn't even want to talk about a new deal because it would just distract from what he is trying to accomplish this season.

Once the season is over, he'll consider talking.

“My thought process is that even if there is something out there, I don’t want to do anything until after the season,” Jennings said. “I don’t want to mess with it. I’m going to wait. If it were to happen this season, it would happen at the end of the season. It definitely won’t happen right now.”

The Packers' main focus is on Rodgers, who is in the fourth year of a five-year deal. His base salary is $680,000, but escalators can earn him an additional $3.5 million based on various statistical milestones.

Rodgers has expressed his desire to remain a Packer but he is private about his off-the-field endeavors and hasn't spoken much about his contract.

More than a few players in the locker room said they expected Rodgers to have a new deal soon, but all Rodgers would say when asked if his agent and the Packers are working on a new deal is, “Nothing that I’m aware of.”

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/33618699.html

Packers WLB A.J. Hawk (groin) will return to every-down duty this week against the Titans.

Hawk was being replaced by Brandon Chillar in the nickel defense the past few weeks while he recovered from an injured groin. Packers coach Mike McCarthy says Hawk appears to have his burst back.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Not necessarily the fans, but the hype machine generated around the Titans.

Which of these doesn't fit...

1-Madden/Favre hype machine

2-Cowboys hype machine

3-Titans hype machine

4-Obama hype machine

:wacko: