[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Taco Stand Up

Chief Dick

Bought some of these at the KC Home Show this weekend. Very nice guy who produced them. Family guy looking to make it big.

Used them tonight and they work great. Thought you all might like 'em. I don't get excited about much, but it was so pleasureable making my tacos tonight. :wacko:

(I get no money from this. If this is inappropriate, please delete)

Bought some of these at the KC Home Show this weekend. Very nice guy who produced them. Family guy looking to make it big.

Used them tonight and they work great. Thought you all might like 'em. I don't get excited about much, but it was so pleasureable making my tacos tonight. :wacko:

You gringos make me laugh.

Hate to go purist on you but that should never be a problem if you're using warm corn tortillas that aren't fried like you're supposed to.

Taco=warm corn tortilla, prepared meat (hopefully not ground beef with McCormick's Taco Seasoning), chopped onion, chopped cilantro, lime, salsa (unless the prepared meat has sauce). Radishes on the side. Oops, ETA pickled jalapeno/onion/carrot garnish on side as well.

Enjoy

Edited by detlef

Hate to go purist on you but that should never be a problem if you're using warm corn tortillas that aren't fried like you're supposed to.

Taco=warm corn tortilla, prepared meat (hopefully not ground beef with McCormick's Taco Seasoning), chopped onion, chopped cilantro, lime, salsa (unless the prepared meat has sauce). Radishes on the side. Oops, ETA pickled jalapeno/onion/carrot garnish on side as well.

Enjoy

Buzzkill. :wacko:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be a jerk about it. I just love real tacos about as much as life itself so I take them rather seriously. They're the perfect food when eaten precisely the way they've been eaten forever in Mexico, so I like to urge people to get down with the real thing.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be a jerk about it. I just love real tacos about as much as life itself so I take them rather seriously. They're the perfect food when eaten precisely the way they've been eaten forever in Mexico, so I like to urge people to get down with the real thing.

with dog meat?

Enjoy

Care to elaborate on prepared meat? My family loves tacos but I've always defaulted to the crappy ground beef and packaged seasoning which I agree with you sucks.

Care to elaborate on prepared meat? My family loves tacos but I've always defaulted to the crappy ground beef and packaged seasoning which I agree with you sucks.

+1

What exactly is that spice that gives it that "taco" flavor? Is it cumin? It smells close...

A short list:

1) Grilled steak (try marinating skirt steak with coke, salt, cilantro, and jalapeno

2) Shredded, roasted chicken. Hell get a rotisserie chicken from costco

3) Carnitas (easiest thing in the world. Take boneless pork butt, cut it into large chunks, toss with salt and chili powder, roast at 350 for like 4 hours. After about an hour or two, start mashing at it with a wooden spoon every hour to break it up and allow different sections to brown. If you want to be really cool, mix some chipotle, sectioned tomatillos, and sliced onion into it after 3 hours. The last part is nice but not needed.

4) Shrimp cooked with garlic and chiles (chipotle is nice, but so is any dried chili chopped up. Either that or you can soak and puree dried chiles and add them to the seared shrimp and garlic. Finish with some lime

5) Crispy battered fish

6) Any number of braised meats (chile verde comes to mind. so does mole) Hell, my favorite over all are lengua and beef cheeks. These, of course, take a bit more time and effort.

Basically the drier meat fillings like the steak, chicken, carnitas, and fried fish need salsa. The saucy ones are ready to go (but sometimes can taste better with the right salsa)

My favorite salsa in general is tomatillo/arbol salsal and it's really easy to make.

Take 1 large onion, about a pound of tomatillos, a few cloves of garlic and about 6-10 chile arbol (they're skinny and about 4 inches long). Saute all that in a sauce pan with some cooking oil for a few minutes but you don't want much color. Add just enough water to stop the browning process (but not too much because the tomatillos will give off lots of juice) and simmer for about a half hour. Everything should be quite broken down. Allow to cool somewhat and puree along with a handful of cilantro and add salt to taste. It will take a pretty decent amount of salt so make sure your wife isn't hanging around when you make it or she'll freak out about how much you're adding. Thing is, if you make the salsa spicy enough, you don't use a ton so it's no big deal.

Edit to add: Cut the tomatillos up in 1/4s before you cook them, they'll break down easier and, obviously you need to peel the papery husk off them before you use them for anything. I like to rinse them under hot water after I shuck them as well.

Hope that helps.

Edited by detlef

+1

What exactly is that spice that gives it that "taco" flavor? Is it cumin? It smells close...

That would be despair and hopelessness. That's why they taste better in Mexico.

It's kinda like the filth water in NYC makes the pizza taste better there.

Dude, if it's got meat on it...

hmmm, I've got one of those little f'ers in my yard. I think I now know what we are going to eat for dinner tonight. (Alas, I think we aren't going to go full-blown ethnic today, we'll probably just eat it with store-bought taco shells and Kraft shredded cheddar cheese.)

Enjoy

Wurd. :wacko: