[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm calling it: We are DEFINITELY in a recession

wiegie

The BLS just released its estimates for October and the news is not good:

In October, there were net job losses of 240,000 (and the job losses for September were revised upward to 284,000). The economy has now lost jobs each month this year (and we now have almost 1.2 million fewer people working than we did at the beginning of the year).

(The big headline grabbing number is going to be that the unemployment rate is at a 14-year high of 6.5%, but I think the payroll numbers themselves are the better numbers to look at.)

In October, there were net job losses of 240,000 (and the job losses for September were revised upward to 284,000). The economy has now lost jobs each month this year (and we now have almost 1.2 million fewer people working than we did at the beginning of the year).

(The big headline grabbing number is going to be that the unemployment rate is at a 14-year high of 6.5%, but I think the payroll numbers themselves are the better numbers to look at.)

Weak car sales....

Double digit losses in retail sales...

All is well! :wacko:

I got back into the market today.

Bought into Walmart @ 53.90.

Should be 60.00 by the first of January.

be careful......

No tears are being shed for these hedge funds but redemptions -- i.e., investors asking for the money back -- means hedge funds have to sell assets, which can hurt performance further, leading to more redemptions, and so on.

This downward spiral in the hedge fund community, which had $1.5 trillion under management in early 2007, is one big reason for the continued downward pressure on the market.

The size and scope of hedge fund loses and redemptions - and the potential for more to come -- is a major wrinkle in the "market is cheap" mantra being repeated so often lately, including by some legendary investors.

Our meat purveyor told the guys next door that Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Raleigh was doing single digit covers last week. ie: less than 10 people dined there on a few of the nights. That's freaking insane for a place like that.

Wait, I thought we already took care of this? :D

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6110801935.html

So I guess I am confused? :D

So am I. :D You read the liberal media Washington Post? :wacko:

They're looking for ideas. Obama is putting his team together but if anyone has suggestions I think he'll listen. Change is a broad umbrella and I think he's working on a plan that'll work. It's hard because he won't be in charge for 2 1/2 months.

Maybe Bush should cede the economy to Obama. Or work in cooperation with Obama's team when they are named(more likely I think).

Thank you George Bush and all your criminal band of cronies who drove this country into the ground ...8 years of failure in every sector possible

So am I. :D You read the liberal media Washington Post? :wacko:

They're looking for ideas. Obama is putting his team together but if anyone has suggestions I think he'll listen. Change is a broad umbrella and I think he's working on a plan that'll work. It's hard because he won't be in charge for 2 1/2 months.

Maybe Bush should cede the economy to Obama. Or work in cooperation with Obama's team when they are named(more likely I think).

I think it is pretty funny that people give the president any credit for a good or bad economy. In bad times It is as if people need a dad figure to let them know it is going to be ok. Trust me folks Obama is not going to save the econmy..... no more then a republican could either. We are in a natural human economic cycle..

Thank you George Bush and all your criminal band of cronies who drove this country into the ground ...8 years of failure in every sector possible

What? Hey, this news came after a DEMOCRAT was elected. Coincidence? I think not.....

I think it is pretty funny that people give the president any credit for a good or bad economy. In bad times It is as if people need a dad figure to let them know it is going to be ok. Trust me folks Obama is not going to save the econmy..... no more then a republican could either. We are in a natural human economic cycle..

Take yer common sense and get outta here.

IMO W's biggest failing with the economy is that he made the downcycle worse by allowing the real estate bubble to be driven by oodles of bad mortgages; don't tell me no one in the admin failed to at least MENTION to him how the use of home equity and the real estate market to drive the post-9/11 economy was not sustainable.

:wacko: Then again, given the incompetency that has been a hallmark of the last 8 years, W probably didn't know/care and neither did anyone else - or at least those who did know and/or care were just marginalized before quietly going gently into that good night - "hey, thanks for that report on the dangers of the real estate bubble, the president is going to take it under consideration. Um, anyway, yeah, we need you to move your desk into the basement....:

Take yer common sense and get outta here.

IMO W's biggest failing with the economy is that he made the downcycle worse by allowing the real estate bubble to be driven by oodles of bad mortgages; don't tell me no one in the admin failed to at least MENTION to him how the use of home equity and the real estate market to drive the post-9/11 economy was not sustainable.

:wacko: Then again, given the incompetency that has been a hallmark of the last 8 years, W probably didn't know/care and neither did anyone else - or at least those who did know and/or care were just marginalized before quietly going gently into that good night - "hey, thanks for that report on the dangers of the real estate bubble, the president is going to take it under consideration. Um, anyway, yeah, we need you to move your desk into the basement....:

It was great when Clinton stepped up to the plate for the tech bubble.....oh wait...Your opinion here is not very objective...