[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Water Heater pilot light problem

Puddy

As you know, I'm probably the handiest dude on these boards. However, I need some help with my water heater. The pilot light went out today. I went through the standard method of relighting (hold down the reset button and click the ingitor). Works like a charm. The pilot light even stays lit on its own. The problem is when I turn the dial to 'on' from 'pilot' and turn the temperature up. The heater kicks in and I can see the fire start. It continues for a while but after 15-30 seconds it goes out again. Has happened three or four times so far.

Doing a little research, it appears that normally when the pilot won't stay lit, the thermocouple is the culprit. However, apparently if that's the problem the pilot light immediately goes out once the reset button is released. That isn't the case here. The pilot remains lit until I turn the heat on. So my question is, what else could it be and how do I fix it?

Oh and apparently the model I have has been the reason for a class action lawsuit against Whirlpool. Reading this site has me wondering if I should just forget about repairing it. Sounds like a real piece of junk. I think I've had it for 2 1/2 years.

Well....by the sounds of the complaints......I think you're right, Puddy. Just get a new water heater.

Lesson #1.....not that it helps you now (sorry)......but I ALWAYS online research any large purchase these days. Especially appliances, but anything. Info is readily available...customer complaints and comments and ratings, rants and raves galore. And mostly by independent sources.

So...do some research online, then go ahead and buy a new one. :wacko:

The great thing is......you found these complaints NOW and won't be falling for the "5 days without hot water", $15.00 shipping fee on a thermocouple that will break in about a week, $300 installation fee, etc..etc.....etc. You got a lemon hun. Lodge your complaint in case something IS done about them (Whirlpoop and Lowe's) and move on.

It also sounds like you got an average of about 2.5 times the longevity that most complaining got out of theirs.....chalk that part up as lucky. :D

Well....by the sounds of the complaints......I think you're right, Puddy. Just get a new water heater.

Lesson #1.....not that it helps you now (sorry)......but I ALWAYS online research any large purchase these days. Especially appliances, but anything. Info is readily available...customer complaints and comments and ratings, rants and raves galore. And mostly by independent sources.

So...do some research online, then go ahead and buy a new one. :wacko:

The great thing is......you found these complaints NOW and won't be falling for the "5 days without hot water", $15.00 shipping fee on a thermocouple that will break in about a week, $300 installation fee, etc..etc.....etc. You got a lemon hun. Lodge your complaint in case something IS done about them (Whirlpoop and Lowe's) and move on.

It also sounds like you got an average of about 2.5 times the longevity that most complaining got out of theirs.....chalk that part up as lucky. :D

Thanks Jules. Yeah, I think I'm gonna get up tomorrow and get a new one. This site likes the Bradford brand. However, it is only sold through licensed contractors. Not sure how much more that will cost me overall or if they are open on weekends. WIll check more on that in the morning.

I replaced mine seven years ago.If and when it goes,I'm going to replace it with one of those wall mounted units that provides continuous hot water.

Are you talking about a tankless unit? Here's what CR has to say about those.

October 2008

Tankless water heaters

They're efficient but not necessarily economical

Heating water accounts for up to 30 percent of the average home's energy budget. Some makers of gas-fired tankless water heaters claim their products can cut your energy costs up to half over regular storage heaters. So is it time to switch?

Probably not. Gas tankless water heaters, which use high-powered burners to quickly heat water as it runs through a heat exchanger, were 22 percent more energy efficient on average than the gas-fired storage-tank models in our tests. That translates into a savings of around $70 to $80 per year, based on 2008 national energy costs. But because they cost much more than storage water heaters, it can take up to 22 years to break even—longer than the 20-year life of many models. Moreover, our online poll of 1,200 readers revealed wide variations in installation costs, energy savings, and satisfaction.

With the help of an outside lab, we pitted Takagi and Noritz gas-fired tankless water heaters against three storage water heaters. We didn't test electric tankless heaters because many can't deliver hot water fast enough to replace a conventional water heater if ground­water is cold. Even in areas with warm groundwater, most homeowners would need to upgrade their electrical service to power a whole-house tankless model.

Our tests simulated daily use of 76 to 78 gallons of hot water. That's the equivalent of taking three showers, washing one laun­dry load, running the dishwasher once (six cycles), and turning on the faucet nine times, for a total of 19 draws. While that's considered heavy use compared with the standard Department of Energy test, we think it more accurately represents an average family's habits. We also ran more than 45,000 gallons of very hard water through a tanked model and a Rinnai tankless model to simulate about 11 years of regular use.

Here's what else we found:

Water runs hot and cold

Manufacturers of tankless water heaters are fond of touting their products' ability to provide an endless amount of hot water. But inconsistent water temperatures were a common complaint among our poll respondents. When you turn on the faucet, tankless models feed in some cold water to gauge how big a temperature rise is needed. If there's cool water lingering in your pipes, you'll receive a momentary "cold-water sandwich" between the old and new hot water. And a tankless water heater's burner might not ignite when you try to get just a trickle of hot water for, say, shaving.

Nor do tankless water heaters deliver hot water instantaneously. It takes time to heat the water to the target temperature, and just like storage water heaters, any cold water in the pipes needs to be pushed out. And tankless models' electric controls mean you'll also lose hot water during a power outage.

Up-front costs are high

The tankless water heaters we tested cost $800 to $1,150, compared with $300 to $480 for the regular storage-tank types. Tankless models need electrical outlets for their fan and electronics, upgraded gas pipes, and a new ventilation system. That can bring average installation costs to $1,200, compared with $300 for storage-tank models.

Tankless units might need more care

During our long-term testing, an indicator on the tankless model warned of scale buildup. We paid $334 for special valves and a plumber to flush out the water heater with vinegar. Many industry pros recommend that tankless models be serviced once a year by a qualified technician. Calcium buildup can decrease efficiency, restrict water flow, and damage tankless models. Experts suggest installing a water softener if your water hardness is above 11 grains per gallon. Ignoring this advice can shorten your warranty.

Efficient storage models are pricey

We also tested the $1,400 Vertex, a high-efficiency storage water heater by A.O. Smith. The manufacturer claims its installation costs are similar to a regular storage model. But its high cost offsets much of the roughly $70 per year the Vertex will save you. Instead, we recommend buying a conventional storage water heater with a 9- or 12-year warranty. In previous tests, we found that those models generally had thicker insulation, bigger burners or larger heating elements, and better corrosion-fighting metal rods called anodes.

Appears from your description you'll need to replace the gas valve , probably $60 and takes 15 minutes to install new one. I would go ahead for the $15 and replace the thermocouple first though.

If your in search for a new heater, best one's we're using are the model 2520 Rannai Tankless Heaters. I've installed 20 this year and everyone really loves them. Saves you $450 + each year in gas costs, can run 6gpm of water, or approx. 3 fixtures simultaneously , and you get a $300 tax credit for installing in your home. My cost on this unit with flu is about $800.

We were talking about going tankless when we eventually replace ours. It's way overdue to be replaced. But after the windstorm knocking out power for 5 days, yet still having hot water (all gas unit).....we've reconsidered. We could hang without electricity mostly because we had hot water, thus hot showers......lol. To be without both would have been murder.

Every appliance/large system has been upgraded in this house now......except the water heater.

Think I'll just get a nice glass-lined......and be done with it. :D

Hey Puddy......who gets the first hot shower when installation is done?? :wacko:

Hey Puddy......who gets the first hot shower when installation is done?? :D

My son got it. :wacko:

He was also so entertained by the faucets making such a racket when the water was turned back on. :D

The installer. He did all the work.

:D

I actually did have my neighbor do the installation for me. :D

I called him from Sears and asked what he would charge me to install. He said a case of beer. He drinks that piss water Bud Light.....er...I mean premium beer CD... I bought a case and gave him $50 as well. Cost me $70 total. Sears wanted $240 and wouldn't do it until Monday so it was a win/win or net/net or whatever.

Well we also need a new dishwasher and the salesman said to wait until tonight as they are staying open for a 6-9 friends and family promotion. Got the deal on the dishwasher AND the water tank was on sale for $20 more plus an additional 10% of the total price. Refund of $61. Pretty much covered the installation. :wacko:

Edited by Puddy

I have had a tankless water heater for about 6-7 years now and could not be happier. Never have a problem with varying temps in the shower and hot water takes about 20 seconds to arrive when called for. The only thing you have to be careful about....which is normal with tank units as well....is calling for enormous amounts of hot water from various sources...I.E second shower and washing machine...etc...etc...etc. I really don't care how much I am saving....it saves on space and probably saves some of our important natural gas resources in the process.

I wish you would have changed the thermocouple first.

+1

I was out of town so I caught this thread late. I had similar issues about a year ago and just replaced the thermocouple. Problem solved.

DId you cats read the link I posted about this particular model :wacko:

Plus Bunzy said buy a new one :stickstongueout:

Oh and I'm quite surprised nobody responded to the first sentence of this thread :D

DId you cats read the link I posted about this particular model :wacko:

Plus Bunzy said buy a new one :stickstongueout:

Oh and I'm quite surprised nobody responded to the first sentence of this thread :D

The eptimy of a slow pitch softball :D