[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So, my wife gets a new car...

detlef

Ummm...at the risk of ruining TimC's fun, she may want to consider a used Vette. They certainly qualify as fun to drive, really do have eye popping gas mileage (30+ mpg hwy with a stick) will get her the attention she craves and a used one can be gotten for less than 30K.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a few Nissan Altima rentals and have been real impressed with it. Lots of room, lots of zip & the keyless entry/start is great. Really nice car overall.

I bought a new 2008 Altima 3.5 and I absolutely love it. Plenty of zip and I really like the keyless entry/start as well.

ETA: And the AC works great for those "hot enough for ya days" :wacko:

Edited by T_bone65

I bought an Acura TL for my wife last year and it has everything you need. 300 hp, added hp for the 09' models, great nav system, incredible interior and one of the sharpest looking cars on the road. Another great looking car is the 09 Audi A4 or A6.

This is definately the bext time to buy a car. You can practically name your price. Good luck!

So, rather than hitting the mountains for a 15 mile hike, we're hitting the auto lots today. Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions. We were particularly surprised to see all the love for Nissan.

The front runners thus far:

A new Jetta TDI. She freaking loved her old car and it lost all of $6K in value over 4 years. That's damned impressive. Also, judging by what we've been told, she should be dead right now so it appears we can can thank that car for the fact that we're even having this conversation. The guy at the body shop showed her the cage built around her and why she wasn't squashed (hell, why she's totally unharmed).

Toyota Prius. Already on our short list and there was an owner at the T-day party we went to last night. He let her drive it around. Dude is an engineer and explained what a marvel of design it is. Interesting that everyone else is making hybrids and almost none of them even touch the Prius in terms of MPG. She's not thrilled by the fact that it is a very passive driving experience.

The Altima- based largely on the enthusiastic support here but she needs convincing. Don't think she's very "excited" about it.

Acura TSX- I know we said $30K but, considering what other options we've sort of gravitated towards, we've now realized that we can get this done for closer to 20. Thus, we'd need to find a very nice pre-owned version for this to get serious consideration. Also, she's not a huge fan of leather seats (don't ask me why).

Honda Accord- I don't think anyone looking for a mid size car should do so without at least checking out the latest Accord. The cars are just too good to ignore. I suppose you could say the same for the Camry. That said, neither pass the "I don't want the exact same car as everyone else" test. Something that I could care less about but I think matters, at least somewhat, to her.

So, rather than hitting the mountains for a 15 mile hike, we're hitting the auto lots today. Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions. We were particularly surprised to see all the love for Nissan.

The front runners thus far:

A new Jetta TDI. She freaking loved her old car and it lost all of $6K in value over 4 years. That's damned impressive. Also, judging by what we've been told, she should be dead right now so it appears we can can thank that car for the fact that we're even having this conversation. The guy at the body shop showed her the cage built around her and why she wasn't squashed (hell, why she's totally unharmed).

Toyota Prius. Already on our short list and there was an owner at the T-day party we went to last night. He let her drive it around. Dude is an engineer and explained what a marvel of design it is. Interesting that everyone else is making hybrids and almost none of them even touch the Prius in terms of MPG. She's not thrilled by the fact that it is a very passive driving experience.

The Altima- based largely on the enthusiastic support here but she needs convincing. Don't think she's very "excited" about it.

Acura TSX- I know we said $30K but, considering what other options we've sort of gravitated towards, we've now realized that we can get this done for closer to 20. Thus, we'd need to find a very nice pre-owned version for this to get serious consideration. Also, she's not a huge fan of leather seats (don't ask me why).

Honda Accord- I don't think anyone looking for a mid size car should do so without at least checking out the latest Accord. The cars are just too good to ignore. I suppose you could say the same for the Camry. That said, neither pass the "I don't want the exact same car as everyone else" test. Something that I could care less about but I think matters, at least somewhat, to her.

If she wants a little zip then you shouldn't even consider this car. A guy I carpool with has a Prius and it can barely get up the mountains we go, which aren't very big.

The new Jetta TDI blew doors on everything else. As enamored as we were with the old one, the '09 is even better. It was the most fun to drive, had the grooviest features and was about the least expensive considering how we wanted it trimmed. Right this instant, the way gas prices are, the fact that it gets really great MPG is diminished by how standard gas is comparatively cheaper than diesel. However, when both were higher (as we have to assume will again be the case, it was a smaller spread by % which will be then make it a better pay-off.

The fact that the resale value on them is insanely high didn't hurt either.

The new Jetta TDI blew doors on everything else. As enamored as we were with the old one, the '09 is even better. It was the most fun to drive, had the grooviest features and was about the least expensive considering how we wanted it trimmed. Right this instant, the way gas prices are, the fact that it gets really great MPG is diminished by how standard gas is comparatively cheaper than diesel. However, when both were higher (as we have to assume will again be the case, it was a smaller spread by % which will be then make it a better pay-off.

The fact that the resale value on them is insanely high didn't hurt either.

Okay, be honest here. You went to the VW dealer first and made your decision before going anywhere else, right?

Okay, be honest here. You went to the VW dealer first and made your decision before going anywhere else, right?

We actually kept every appointment we made. The VW was the first one but it set the bar at a level that nothing else matched. While my wife was talking to the guy, I'd compare the cost of the car we were looking at and back out or add in this or that to try and get an apples to apples with the Jetta because we both really liked this one. When we were looking at the Altima, for instance, I pulled her aside and said this exact car, as is, without adding any bells and whistles costs exactly $200 less than the Jetta you drove.

"Really? That's it? We're out of here."

"This Prius, as is, costs about $2500 more than the Jetta?"

"Really?"

We began to realize at that point that it was pretty much over, but we figured to just go anyway. None the less, it was over. It's just a better car, especially for the money. We didn't tell the salesman that we'd had one before and just listened as explained details that were basically reminding us of all the things we liked about her other Jetta. Only this one was better in a number of ways.

We actually kept every appointment we made. The VW was the first one but it set the bar at a level that nothing else matched. While my wife was talking to the guy, I'd compare the cost of the car we were looking at and back out or add in this or that to try and get an apples to apples with the Jetta because we both really liked this one. When we were looking at the Altima, for instance, I pulled her aside and said this exact car, as is, without adding any bells and whistles costs exactly $200 less than the Jetta you drove.

"Really? That's it? We're out of here."

"This Prius, as is, costs about $2500 more than the Jetta?"

"Really?"

We began to realize at that point that it was pretty much over, but we figured to just go anyway. None the less, it was over. It's just a better car, especially for the money. We didn't tell the salesman that we'd had one before and just listened as explained details that were basically reminding us of all the things we liked about her other Jetta. Only this one was better in a number of ways.

That's great that she likes the car.

But not really fair to compare it against the Altima or Accord on price. It is a small sedan (in the same category as a Civic in Consumer Reports), while the other two are in the midsize category. The Passat is the competition against those two (and is pricier I believe than the Honda and Nissan).

I'm actually considering going to the smaller sedan myself next time (unless my midlife crisis kicks in) :wacko:

But not really fair to compare it against the Altima or Accord on price. It is a small sedan (in the same category as a Civic in Consumer Reports), while the other two are in the midsize category. The Passat is the competition against those two (and is pricier I believe than the Honda and Nissan).

I'm actually considering going to the smaller sedan myself next time (unless my midlife crisis kicks in) :wacko:

i agree with sam adams with regard to comparing anjou to anjou.

yeah, a bit of an odd array of finalists there. but hey, if the old vdub made her happy and the new one's even better, sounds like a winning choice to me.

We're ditching the maxima for this, V8 of course.

I've always been a big fan of the 4-runner. I've got a big ass Tahoe right now and I love all the room but it's not really being utilized except to cart around all of my kids crap.

Don't get inside it unless you're ready to buy. The new VWs just feel really, really nice.

Yeah, that's the reason why I haven't gone to look at them yet. I need to knock a few more payments off the Tahoe first.

Did you look at the CC? If so, thoughts?

Edited by twiley

I've always been a big fan of the 4-runner. I've got a big ass Tahoe right now and I love all the room but it's not really being utilized except to cart around all of my kids crap.

Yeah, that's the reason why I haven't gone to look at them yet. I need to knock a few more payments off the Tahoe first.

Did you look at the CC? If so, thoughts?

We actually didn't. Even though we looked at cars besides the Prius and TDI, my wife was really predisposed to finding a car that got 40+ MPG, so it was really pretty much just about those two. Besides, though the CC was technically in our price range, we realized pretty early in the game that she wasn't going to need to spend 25+ for enough car to make her happy.

I took a quick look at one and it was a very handsome ride. Also the new Jetta was so much nicer inside than even the '04, so I'd have to think the nicer VWs are :wacko::D

Just really well appointed cars.

We actually didn't. Even though we looked at cars besides the Prius and TDI, my wife was really predisposed to finding a car that got 40+ MPG, so it was really pretty much just about those two. Besides, though the CC was technically in our price range, we realized pretty early in the game that she wasn't going to need to spend 25+ for enough car to make her happy.

I took a quick look at one and it was a very handsome ride. Also the new Jetta was so much nicer inside than even the '04, so I'd have to think the nicer VWs are :wacko::D

Just really well appointed cars.

Final warning. EVERYONE I know that has owned a VW has regretted it. Yes, the ride and performance is tough to overlook, but the reliability is crap (never owned one, just going by popular conception). My brother in law is a consumer nut, always does the research and makes the most practical purchase. He has a GTI diesel which he loves the economy, ride, and performance, but alas the breakdowns and repairs have him regretting the purchase. Owners I know have all had lots of problems and repairs are expensive. Just curious, what are the warrantee provisions?