[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should a safety be worth 2 pts in FF?

Bronco Billy

Funny - our safeties have been worth 5pts (not an IDP league) forever (14 years).

Never came up as an issue or something to change....till this year when one team had two in one game - guy who was playing against that team has stated he wants that voted on next year to bring it down, with his two points being it's only 2 pts in the NFL, and it's worth more for the defense than a defensive touchdown would be. I like the safety where it is as it's an absolute game changer, but could live with 4 pts probably.

I had never thought of this.

I agree that with the team that scored the safety getting the ball back that a safety should be worth 2 for the safety scored plus whatever each league awards for a turnover.

In my league we give +3 for recovering an opponents fumble or an INT so I am going to ask for safties to be worth 5 starting next year.

I do have a question though, if a safety occurs due to a sack, does the sack stat get recorded by the nfl?

Because if so then if a player were to sack the qb to cause the safety then he would get 2 points for the sack and 5 points for a safety making it a 7 point play. Sweet!

Because if so then if a player were to sack the qb to cause the safety then he would get 2 points for the sack and 5 points for a safety making it a 7 point play. Sweet!

Kind of like a RB or WR getting yardage (and reception in ppr leagues on pass plays) scoring when they score TDs, no?

This discussion came up in my local a few years ago, and we unanimoulsy decided to award 4 points for safety. Everyone agreed that a safety was a rare and game changing event that should be rewarded more points than a standard interception or forced fumble and fumble recovery.

this seems silly to me.

Distance scoring leagues are a lot of fun. My first league was one. TDs were worth between 5 and 20 points depending on length. Pass/Rec TD were 5 for 0-19, 10 for 20-39, 15 for 40-59 and 20 for 60+ and rushing was 5 for 0-4, 10 for 5-19, 15 for 20-39 and 20 for 40+.

Made for some interesting player valuations as the home run threats (ie Kennison in his STL days) could put up major points.

Spin off from another thread.

Should a safety be worth "only" 2 pts in FF?

My argument is that a safety is a gigantic play in the course of a football game. Not only does the D score 2 pts - and 2 pts can change the way a game plays out significantly - but the D gets the ball back for the O because of the free kick afterwards. Not only does the D get the ball back - a turnover - but the free kick is from the 20 yd line, meaning that field position should be very good after the kick.

So we have a score and a turnover occurring simultaneously with a high probability of very good to great field position for the O, created in one play. There is tremendous impact to the game as it plays out in most cases.

I would argue that most leagues only score 2 pts for a safety because they haven't really thought this through and use the knee jerk 2 pt scored on the field as a default.

1st let me say that the only post I read in this thread is the one quoted above...with that said....

I dont know if a Safety should be worth 2pts or more but look at it this way...

1. A Safety is a big play in the grand scheme of things NFL wise too and its only worth 2pts

2. A Safety that is worth 2 pts isnt really worth 2 points...here is why...

a.) When a Safety occurs in a Team D league you are awarded the following:

1. 2 Points for the Safety

2. 2 Points for the Sack(or whatever you score for a sack unless its a RB stuffed in the EZ) so in a Team D league that is 4 pts for a Safety

an argument could be made to award TURNOVER points for a Safety too since the D is handing the ball over to their O and that would increase the value even more.

b.) When a Safey occurs in an IDP league you are awarded the following(there are rare instances where no player gets credit for the safety):

1. 2 Points for the Safety

2. +/-2 Points for the Tackle (or whatever you score a tackle at)

3. +/-2 Points for the Sack (again depending on what you score a sack, excluding non passing plays)...so in an IDP league a Safety scores "usually" 3 times more then its 2 point value...an argument could be made to award TURNOVER points for a Safety too since the D is handing the ball over to their O and that would increase the value even more.

:wacko:

edit: and for those that are scratching your head wondering how a sack is credited when there is a safety it is easy...

To get a Safety the QB has to be tackled in the EZ...the EZ is behind the LOS therefore 99.999% of the time it will be scored a passing play and a sack is credited...yes there are instances that a RB or WR gets tackled in the EZ and it wont be a sack and even the fact that a QB could get tackled in the EZ trying to do a sneak to get some additional operating room and that wouldnt count as a sack...but I would be willing to guess that most Safetys are due to a QB being tackled/sacked when trying to pass and all other instances that end in safetys would be a very small %..again this is a guess but one I think would pan out with research

Edited by keggerz

Spin off from another thread.

Should a safety be worth "only" 2 pts in FF?

My argument is that a safety is a gigantic play in the course of a football game. Not only does the D score 2 pts - and 2 pts can change the way a game plays out significantly - but the D gets the ball back for the O because of the free kick afterwards. Not only does the D get the ball back - a turnover - but the free kick is from the 20 yd line, meaning that field position should be very good after the kick.

So we have a score and a turnover occurring simultaneously with a high probability of very good to great field position for the O, created in one play. There is tremendous impact to the game as it plays out in most cases.

I would argue that most leagues only score 2 pts for a safety because they haven't really thought this through and use the knee jerk 2 pt scored on the field as a default.

Yep.

We gave 7 pts until this past year and it was voted down to 2. So a safety is worth less than a FG :wacko: That's stupid; you can't do a free kick in FF and safeties are hard to get, so should be worth way more.

I give 10 points for both defensive TD's and Safeties, the leagues I have set up do give alot more points to the defensive side of the ball than most others mainly becuase I wanted to have leagues where defensive players can win championships for you here is a link to the league scoring http://football36.myfantasyleague.com/2008...=40203&O=09

this seems silly to me.

You'd have to see the entire scoring system to make sense of it. Everything is distance based. TD runs & TD receptions are also worth 12 if they are from 40+, 9 points from 10-39 yards, and 6 points from 0-9 yards.

Even with that in mind though, I do feel like we should only award 6 points for any defensive TD. I've introduced it as a rule change for next year, so, we will see if it gets voted in.