[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should a safety be worth 2 pts in FF?

Bronco Billy

Spin off from another thread.

Should a safety be worth "only" 2 pts in FF?

My argument is that a safety is a gigantic play in the course of a football game. Not only does the D score 2 pts - and 2 pts can change the way a game plays out significantly - but the D gets the ball back for the O because of the free kick afterwards. Not only does the D get the ball back - a turnover - but the free kick is from the 20 yd line, meaning that field position should be very good after the kick.

So we have a score and a turnover occurring simultaneously with a high probability of very good to great field position for the O, created in one play. There is tremendous impact to the game as it plays out in most cases.

I would argue that most leagues only score 2 pts for a safety because they haven't really thought this through and use the knee jerk 2 pt scored on the field as a default.

As I mentioned in the other thread, 2 pts is way to low for a safety in FF. If a TO is worth 3, safeties need to be worth more. You could make an argument for 4 or perhaps 3, provided TOs were worth 2, but safties should be worth more than TOs. IMO.

Sorry BB, looks like you've joined me on the dark side of scoring scrutiny. How does it feel to be so judgmental? I mean, as long as everyone knows the rules going in, what difference does it make? Can't we just get along?

Sorry BB, looks like you've joined me on the dark side of scoring scrutiny. How does it feel to be so judgmental? I mean, as long as everyone knows the rules going in, what difference does it make? Can't we just get along?

:D

You sure know how to hurt a guy...

:wacko:

Every league Ive EVER played in, theyve always been scored 2 points. Ive always thought about bringing it up to raise the value of them, but I never have.

Me personally, I think they should be more than 2. I like the 5 value. Its not a TD, but it is something that happens so infrequently that it should be more valuable than an INT that happens almost every game.

Well, safeties normally have a sack attached to them as well. So most of the times the play is worth 4 points (or 3 if your league only gives 1 point for a sack).

Although I've played in leagues where they are worth 4 on their own and I don't have a problem with it.

Well, safeties normally have a sack attached to them as well. So most of the times the play is worth 4 points (or 3 if your league only gives 1 point for a sack).

Long TD runs have yardage attached to the TD. TD pass plays have yardage AND receptions attached in ppr leagues. That a sack can be attached shouldn't preclude the value of a safety.

If its apples-to-apples for everyone, what difference does it make if they are worth 2, 4 or 6 points?

I see your point that is does indeed change an NFL game significantly, but don't see a point to changing it from the current 2-point FF standard (unless you feel the need to increase the value of defenses relative to other positions in your league).

If its apples-to-apples for everyone, what difference does it make if they are worth 2, 4 or 6 points?

I see your point that is does indeed change an NFL game significantly, but don't see a point to changing it from the current 2-point FF standard (unless you feel the need to increase the value of defenses relative to other positions in your league).

Because its rare that both teams get a safety in a game. If it happens, then ya its irrelevant, but if you lose by 3 points, but that safety could have scored more points (and only one team gets one), then the team that GOT the safety is rewarded for a play that rarely happens. And by rarely, I mean several a year.

Because its rare that both teams get a safety in a game. If it happens, then ya its irrelevant, but if you lose by 3 points, but that safety could have scored more points (and only one team gets one), then the team that GOT the safety is rewarded for a play that rarely happens. And by rarely, I mean several a year.

I don't really get the frequency of it occuring playing a role. Should we give tackle eligible receivers 12 points for a touchdown?

Edited by Puddy

As I mentioned in the other thread, 2 pts is way to low for a safety in FF. If a TO is worth 3, safeties need to be worth more. You could make an argument for 4 or perhaps 3, provided TOs were worth 2, but safties should be worth more than TOs. IMO.

Good point in that it depends on how turnovers and sacks are scored. Sometimes a sack is 2 points and a safety should be worth more than a sack.

There's plenty to argue about in FF scoring such as offensive fumble recovery for a td should count for something but it doesn't in many leagues. :wacko:

We changed ours from '2' to '4' several years ago, and we are happy with that value.

The rest of our defensive scoring:

2 for INT's

1 for sacks

6 for TD's 0-39 yards

12 for TD's 40+ yards

Then there are points lost or gained for how much is allowed by the defense / special teams

Regarding your first point, it is more a matter of comparing the value of the safety vs. the value of other plays that result in FF points for a defense (or defensive player), in this case, the scoring for sacks, INTs, etc., and in the case of IDP, the scoring for tackles. IMO, for the rarer and much more valuable play to an NFL team of a safety, they should certainly be scored more highly than these other plays. So, if you give a sack 2 pts, perhaps 3 or 4 points for a safety is in order (yes, as noted, most safeties are the result of a sack, but the yardage/scoring/reception notes above show that this escalting factor is common place in FF scoring).

Also, increasing the points of safeties across the board will do little to the "value" of defenses, both amongst themselves or vs. other positions, as it is a rather rare play and increase in scoring for it, applied equally to all safeties, will have little to no affect on value.

Most leagues I am in score them as the standard 2 points, but in those leagues turnovers are worth 1 point each, so it is a fair assesment in my view. If turnovers where 2 points each, I think safety values of 3-5 points would be fair.

I think the rarity of the safety only plays a role in that, if you do give it more points, it's not going to throw your scoring system "out of whack", because the odds of it happening in any single fantasy "game" are maybe 50 to 1. That said, I think the "value" of a safety should include not only the two points scored, but also the value of a turnover. I think 4-5 points is fair/accurate, although it depends on how the rest of your league's scoring is weighted. I've seen it go anywhere from 2 to 6 points, none of which are correct/incorrect... it has more to do with how its value compares to everything else that factors into the scoring.

Saftey = (2 pts + Sack pts + turnover points) makes sense.

But then, a TD is only worth 6 in most cases, and often 3 or 4 if it's a passing TD. I think the league has to reconcile these things.

A safety is not considered a turnover (not a lost fumble nor interception) on FF scoring other than the safety points itself.