[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rodent Tsunami?

i_am_the_swammi

Darin, lock your doors: :wacko: this article grossed me out!

Rodent swarming season comes to Central Texas

10:36 PM CST on Wednesday, November 26, 2008

By JIM BERGAMO

KVUE News

'Tis the season: the rodent swarming season that is. That's how one local pest control company is describing what we can expect for the next few months and possibly longer. Weather-related circumstances have caused rats to be a problem in various parts of the state including Central Texas.

"I don't like to see them in the house. It's kind of unnerving," said homeowner Tom Davis. He's talking about rats. As we interviewed outside, a pest control technician inside the home confirmed Davis' fears.

"These here are rodent droppings," said pest control technician Bill Martinez. "You know I was raised here in this house pretty much and we never used to have the problem that we've had the past two years now," Davis said.

And the experts say Davis is right. But it's not just his problem. All of Central Texas is about to be hit with what they term, “a rodent tsunami.”

"We were just so unprepared for the volume and the numbers of rodents that were out there it was just overwhelming," said ABC Services entomologist Janis Reed.

Rats common to Central Texas can reach lengths of 18 inches from head to tail and can weigh up to one pound, similar to the rats seen in this video from is from bell labs. Rats are nocturnal and can carry rat mites and food poisoning via droppings. Entomologist Janis Reed says calls to ABC Services for rodent extermination have increased more than 30 percent since last year when Central Texas experienced a rainy summer.

"We had an excess of vegetation caused by large amounts of rain. So they had more shelter, and they just thrived, because the predators weren't able to find them," said Jacob Hetzel, a wildlife biologist with Texas Wildlife Services.

This year's drought has compounded the problem because it's sent the rats looking for water. "And guess where they find it? Our swimming pools, our plumbing and our toilets," said Reed.

This lead pipe was connected to a toilet in one Central Texas home. "What the rodents did is they crawled on top of the pipe and actually chewed through the lead," said Reed.

She added, "You can see the rodent teeth marks around the edges of this pipe where they've chewed through the pipe in order to get into the pipe and into the structure."

"The take home message here is -- if they want in something-- they are going to get in," Reed said. Since most rats in Central Texas are roof rats, they climb and enter through the roof or gutters and into the attic. But they can also take advantage of the tiniest holes.

"So if you've got an opening in your home the size of a quarter an adult rat can easily fit through that opening," Reed said.

So what can you do to determine whether you have a rat problem or want to guard against one? Reed says use your eyes, ears and some common sense. "Listening for sounds, listening for noises that weren't there before, scratching clawing, maybe running across the attic," Reed said.

You can also look for gnaw marks and rub or oil marks.

"It's the grease off the body of the rodent," Martinez said.

The rub or oil marks left by the rats indicate which direction they been traveling. Another precaution... "Eliminate things outside that may be conducive to rodent infestation," Reed suggested.

Things like dog or cat food -- even well stocked bird feeders can attract rodents. Tom Davis is just hoping it's not too late to be pro-active.

"We thought we had had it pretty much taken care of but it seems to be pretty prevalent right now," Davis said.

"And this year is shaping up to be even larger growth than last year," Reed said.

Nope, never. I imagine they can be quite the pest if they get inside a dwelling.

True dat.

My in-laws own a campground and basically have lived in a nice 5th wheel trailer all spring-fall. Last year, they had just gotten a new trailer and they left it at their campground over the winter rarely visiting in the off-season. When they opened up the trailer this past spring, squirrels had gotten in it and basically destroyed it. It was literally a total loss.

I'm not a gun person, but I did buy a high power pellet gun when squirrels DID chew through my roof! That was it. I started shooting them. Killed about 10 or so. I tried the stupid "hav-a-heart traps" first. Stupid squirrel died of shock or whatever in ten minutes while I attempted to relocate it.

Squirrels can be VERY destructive. My dog is a "lurcher" (you can Google that) and is a lethal squirrel hunter. I've gotten them under control, but if the population goes up again, the gun gets cleaned.

As for Texans.... buy a "lurcher" or two. These dogs LIVE to kill small game. This cross breed is OBSESSED with killing rabbits, squirrels, rats, and they were bred for it. They aren't AKC recognized, so as mutts, they can be adopted or gotten cheaply. Great family dogs, but when it comes to rodents... they are natural killers, and lightning fast. The squirrels know it. They rarely venture onto my property anymore.

This thread was started by some numbnut in Philly? I call bullsh-it! I 've lived in central Texas for 50+ years and the only over populated rodent invasion we have ever experienced is yankees.

Oh, you mean like Missourian Stephen F Austin (the Father of Texas) and Sam Houston who resigned as Governor of TX because he refused to sopport secession? THOSE yankees? :wacko::D