[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

when you die

nuke'em ttg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't give a poopy if they are cremated, but let children, grandchildren, spouses, parents if living say their last good byes in the hospital immediately following the death, at the funeral home in the cremation container, or rent a casket and have a service. Viewing is part of the grieving process.

My apologies. It seemed as if you did "give a poopy". You quoted that he wanted to be fried, then urged him to let his family see him one last time, then said you wanted to be buried.

In other words, "don't do that, let your family see you one last time, like me. I'm being buried.

Perhaps that wasn't the intention of your quote. Just how I read it.

None the less, I'm still not convinced of the importance of allowing your family to see a preserved and made up version of your dead body. It is not likely to be a form that you want to be remembered by. I would think that a photo of yourself that you always liked would be better. Perhaps a collage of photos of you doing things you loved or with people you loved should do the trick.

None the less, just my opinion. I don't do this for a living.

My apologies. It seemed as if you did "give a poopy". You quoted that he wanted to be fried, then urged him to let his family see him one last time, then said you wanted to be buried.

In other words, "don't do that, let your family see you one last time, like me. I'm being buried.

Perhaps that wasn't the intention of your quote. Just how I read it.

None the less, I'm still not convinced of the importance of allowing your family to see a preserved and made up version of your dead body. It is not likely to be a form that you want to be remembered by. I would think that a photo of yourself that you always liked would be better. Perhaps a collage of photos of you doing things you loved or with people you loved should do the trick.

None the less, just my opinion. I don't do this for a living.

some people need something tangible to say goodbye to or to touch for the last time.

some people need something tangible to say goodbye to or to touch for the last time.

A picture is tangible and can be touched. It is so tangible that it can give you a paper cut as you are trying to seperate the pages of a Playboy Magazine, or at least that is what I'm told.

I can see this.

Which is why, I suppose, your thoughts of, "whatever my family wants to do with me" is a fine, fine answer. Just so long as they're damned well aware that they shouldn't put me in a box if they're doing it for me.

I do know this, if they're going to set me up for a viewing, I hope someone rigs it so that my body sits up at a very unexpected moment and freaks everyone out.

Edited by detlef

I can see this.

Which is why, I suppose, your thoughts of, "whatever my family wants to do with me" is a fine, fine answer. Just so long as they're damned well aware that they shouldn't put me in a box if they're doing it for me.

i would hope they listen to your request. i have constantly told my fam if they are to put me in the ground, buy the cheapest caskett there is. dont get guilted into the delux 10k one by the funeral parlor!!!!!

i would hope they listen to your request. i have constantly told my fam if they are to put me in the ground, buy the cheapest caskett there is. dont get guilted into the delux 10k one by the funeral parlor!!!!!

That's what my wife has told me.

And then there's that.

Oh, and my wife knows exactly how I feel. If she needs to do it a certain way for her own sake, go ahead. Frankly, it's not about me at that point.

And then there's that.

Oh, and my wife knows exactly how I feel. If she needs to do it a certain way for her own sake, go ahead. Frankly, it's not about me at that point.

this is true. just like every xmas i get called scrooge cause i say dont get me anything!!!!!

I'm going to add my 2 cents here. For the family and friends, it is important to able to say goodbye. We had a private family viewing for Aqualung, then a closed casket for everybody else, with many of his pictures on the casket and around the funeral parlor. We had him cremated after. I gave small urns of his ashes to our 2 children, and I have been taking the rest of his ashes to his favorite spots. Untaeve and his family joined me as I took Aqua to one of those places this summer. I think this keeps Aqua's memory closer to me than visiting a stone in a graveyard. The only time I visit our parents graves is to put on the Christmas wreaths that the rest of the family expects. So that's my opinion - fry. Then do something special with the ashes - even the shotgun idea is great. I want to save some of Aqua's ashes, then when I die and get fried too, I'll leave instructions for my kids to mix some of me with him.

I'm going to add my 2 cents here. For the family and friends, it is important to able to say goodbye. We had a private family viewing for Aqualung, then a closed casket for everybody else, with many of his pictures on the casket and around the funeral parlor. We had him cremated after. I gave small urns of his ashes to our 2 children, and I have been taking the rest of his ashes to his favorite spots. Untaeve and his family joined me as I took Aqua to one of those places this summer. I think this keeps Aqua's memory closer to me than visiting a stone in a graveyard. The only time I visit our parents graves is to put on the Christmas wreaths that the rest of the family expects. So that's my opinion - fry. Then do something special with the ashes - even the shotgun idea is great. I want to save some of Aqua's ashes, then when I die and get fried too, I'll leave instructions for my kids to mix some of me with him.

My Dad just wanted the cheapest and no Fuss.....what he got was an amazing funeral with pictures/friends and Military Salute.....Dads ashes are just in a cardboard box, I told Mom I'd make a cool wood combo that would hold the ashes and display the flag.....after reading this maybe it might be healthy for Ma to put them somewhere meaningful, thanks :wacko:

There will be no remains found. Just a smear of blood and a single red hair.

A lot of dates I've been on have ended that way.

I'm an organ donor. Beyond that, my wife is the decider. I suppose whatever her and the girls want if fine by me. I was shocked to recently learn my mother wants cremated. I had her pegged as being burried.

Is that you Audrey? Good evening.

Definately fry & all my children know this. If they feel the need to keep some of the ashes that is fine, but the majority of me will be taken to the first Jazz fest after I die on the first Friday and spread around in front of the Acura stage. Also instead of the "standard" send off there will be a party with alcohol and whatever after the services with a selection of songs already picked out to be played. Been planning this since I was 17 or so since I really didn't expect to live this long. And it is so much cheaper for the family.

Yeah it's Audrey, having a lonely night and thought I'd come visit you silly people. Just kidding.

we're always here--thank you for stopping by :wacko:

+1 on this comment. Visit anytime! :D

Viewing is part of the grieving process.

...for SOME. Some would rather that their last memory of seeing someone isn't laid out at the funeral home. No right or wrong answer there.

I always figured on a traditional burial but not sure now.

Edited by BeeR

Fried. The wife and I will have our ashes mixed, then released on the top of Mt Katahdin. The only thing that remains is to figure out is which one of you lucky basstards gets to climb on up there to do it for us.