[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Foreclosure listings

Skilly

Foreclosed homes are usually a mess. The people didn't take care of them, and they usually trash them on the way out. Plus, they've usually been abandoned for a little while so who knows what you'll find inside.

It's not saying that you can't make money buying them, but you need to watch what you are doing. Do your due diligence to find out if anyone else has liens against the home. My buddy almost bought a foreclosed home only to find out that there was another mortgage out on it.

In South Dakota, the foreclosures are listed in the newspaper in the public listings. They have a sheriffs sale and you have to have 100% of the money that day. Here's the catch here. The current owner being foreclosed on has 6 months to a year to vacate the property depending on how the foreclosure was filed. So it is a huge gamble here. I looked into it, but all the signs said it wasn't worth it. You are also not allowed to inspect the property prior to the sale as well.

State law

Whatever. Asking people to slap a hundred thousand dollars down on a house that could have foundation damage, termite damage, water damage, a family of squatters living in it. . . .that's just insane.

State law

I am not doubting you or busting your chops but I find that absolutely unbelievable.

Skilly. There could be things a seller would normally have to pay for that you will have to pay like the certificate of occupancy and other possible fees depending on the state you are in. Be sure a lawyer lays all of that out for you.

You are also not allowed to inspect the property prior to the sale as well.

not in Az

In these times, foreclosures will be on the MLS as well.

Just go to realtor.com and search in the area you want to live. There will be foreclosures in the mix. No reason to pay for a list.

Your realtor can pull them up for free on the MLS. Surprise Az, was one of the hardest hit areas. I just had my realtor search for foreclosed homes in our area that met our floorplan wants every day. and with any bid here there was a 10 day inspection window where you could back out for any reason. unfortunately for us there are tons of investors out here buying things up...we actually had 4 bids out at once on propertys that we really liked.

Our house was on the market for 12 hours when we placed our bid, got it for $64 a sq foot and payed no closing cost. not to mention it was only 2 years old.