[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Woodworking DIY'ers

Robash

what kind of nails can be used in place of 1" brads? i dont have the splurge money to by a nailer and was looking for the hammering type replacement for them.

Use 18D (IIRC - have used a 16 or 18 gauge brad nailer for 10 years) finish nails. Nail them to about 1/2" above the wood, then finish with a nailset (or just use another nail to finish driving them).

ShopSmith Mark 5 would make you the envy of the neighborhood! :wacko:
I'm a little late to the party, but as a current Shopsmith owner (given to me) as well as having used my father's for years, I would strongly recommend not getting a shop smith.

Sure it looks nice having a dozen tools in one, but you will grow to hate the setup time. Need to adjust the depth you are cutting a dado? You have to adjust the table, plus the side extension(s), plus the outfeed table (if so equipped). Want to convert to a drill? You need to raise the table and slide it out of the way, tip the table, remove the blade and guard, slide the motor to the appropriate position, remove any side extensions, then tip the whole monster up. Did you forget one piece that you needed to rip before you converted it? Undo all that and then redo it.

The shopsmith does have accessories like a bandsaw, joiner, etc, but I'd rather have separates. New, a base model Mark V will set you back $3000+ last i checked (but that's been a while). That will buy you a great 12" sliding miter saw, a good work site table saw, more cordless tools then you know what to do with, a disc/belt sander, and a drill press plus have $500 less to make some shelving that takes up about the same amount of space and have easier to use tools.

I'm a little late to the party, but as a current Shopsmith owner (given to me) as well as having used my father's for years, I would strongly recommend not getting a shop smith.

Sure it looks nice having a dozen tools in one, but you will grow to hate the setup time. Need to adjust the depth you are cutting a dado? You have to adjust the table, plus the side extension(s), plus the outfeed table (if so equipped). Want to convert to a drill? You need to raise the table and slide it out of the way, tip the table, remove the blade and guard, slide the motor to the appropriate position, remove any side extensions, then tip the whole monster up. Did you forget one piece that you needed to rip before you converted it? Undo all that and then redo it.

The shopsmith does have accessories like a bandsaw, joiner, etc, but I'd rather have separates. New, a base model Mark V will set you back $3000+ last i checked (but that's been a while). That will buy you a great 12" sliding miter saw, a good work site table saw, more cordless tools then you know what to do with, a disc/belt sander, and a drill press plus have $500 less to make some shelving that takes up about the same amount of space and have easier to use tools.

I guess it is one of those things better lusted after than having...

Kinda like Pam Anderson... :wacko:

if you're just starting out, buy extra wood. it will save you trips back to the lumber yard. :wacko:

nothing to add to the good tool advice already mentioned....and if it turns out that you hate

the hobby, you can always sell the tools.

oh, and don't skimp on the finishes, stain/paint etc....nothing worse than a well made piece that looks

and feels like crap.

if you're just starting out, buy extra wood. it will save you trips back to the lumber yard. :wacko:

nothing to add to the good tool advice already mentioned....and if it turns out that you hate

the hobby, you can always sell the tools.

oh, and don't skimp on the finishes, stain/paint etc....nothing worse than a well made piece that looks

and feels like crap.

At my local Home Depot and Lowe's, you can buy scrap wood for next to nothing. I buy a bunch every time I go to either store, even if I don't need it. Never know when you're gonna need it.

ShopSmith Mark 5 would make you the envy of the neighborhood! :wacko:

I've been jonesin for one for years.

I had one when I was younger when I thought I wanted a hobby before I realized I didn't have time for one. At that time we didn't have much money or much space. The ShopSmith is a fairly cheap way to get a number of tools and have them in a compact space. I probably will get back into woodworking when I'm older and retired, but I won't be using a ShopSmith. If you have the money and the space you can buy much more precise tools. And while the guy doing the ShopSmith demo is able to change from one tool to another fairly quickly, remember that is his job and he does it day in and day out. For the casual wood worker, changing form one to another usually takes two to three times as long as the guy doing the demo takes.

I had one when I was younger when I thought I wanted a hobby before I realized I didn't have time for one. At that time we didn't have much money or much space. The ShopSmith is a fairly cheap way to get a number of tools and have them in a compact space. I probably will get back into woodworking when I'm older and retired, but I won't be using a ShopSmith. If you have the money and the space you can buy much more precise tools. And while the guy doing the ShopSmith demo is able to change from one tool to another fairly quickly, remember that is his job and he does it day in and day out. For the casual wood worker, changing form one to another usually takes two to three times as long as the guy doing the demo takes.

Yeah my dream of the Mark V has been well and truly deflated. :wacko:

Besides, over the years I have accumulated everything except the joiner and lathe, so it would be redundant anyhoo.