[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Firearms Safes

Caveman_Nick

Buying a safe is an expensive venture as I am finding out, unless I plan on taking the Chinese cheap-out route. There are some web sites that give advice on the subject, such as how much to plan on spending and what to look for in terms of features, but when I research features versus cost I find that in order to get certain recommended features the cost starts to sky rocket.

I know there are a number of firearms owners here. If you have a safe, what did you buy and why? If you don't mind sharing what you spent, that would be helpful :wacko:

Thanks!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6457701

Overall I was looking for a safe that could hold all our guns and ammo (MANY), and was a good fire resistant safe. Overall I am very satisfied, although its completely full and may be looking to purchase another.

Edit to add, don't go cheap. As in my case many of our firearms are handed down from generations and I want those to stay in the family forever. You want to protect your large investments as best you can.

Edited by Hat Trick

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6457701

Overall I was looking for a safe that could hold all our guns and ammo (MANY), and was a good fire resistant safe. Overall I am very satisfied, although its completely full and may be looking to purchase another.

Edit to add, don't go cheap. As in my case many of our firearms are handed down from generations and I want those to stay in the family forever. You want to protect your large investments as best you can.

That is in the neighborhood of the bare minimum I was looking at.

The one thing that had me looking at more expensive safes was the thickness of the steel walls. IIRC, that's 12 gauge steel, and I was reading some stuff that suggest 12 gauge steel can be broken into with a fire axe. But...the thicker the steel the more expensive the safe. That's one of the issues I am wrestling with.

That is in the neighborhood of the bare minimum I was looking at.

The one thing that had me looking at more expensive safes was the thickness of the steel walls. IIRC, that's 12 gauge steel, and I was reading some stuff that suggest 12 gauge steel can be broken into with a fire axe. But...the thicker the steel the more expensive the safe. That's one of the issues I am wrestling with.

If the intruder is armed with an ax and you have a gun, why don't you just shoot him?

I have a Liberty (lincoln model). Spent around $1800 at a sportsman show (including delivery). Good reputation, good heat resistance, and it was set up well. Guns take up half the safe. Documents & misc (ammo) take up the other half. At 900+ lbs, I don't feel the need to bolt it down. I do keep a dehumidifier in it to keep everything dry.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

Is there a particular reason that you fear axe wielding burglars?

I don't have a safe/vault, because with no chilluns around, I really don't need one. Seems to me that most people have them to prevent kids from getting to the guns and ammunition and to protect them (and other important stuff) from fire.

The main thing is getting the electronic lock and then setting a code you will always remember (like the last 4 of your SS). Even the lower gauge safes will protect your firearms well enough IMO, but when the axe wielding maniac arrives, you will NEED quick access to whatever is in there. So don't skimp on the type of lock.

Is there a particular reason that you fear axe wielding burglars?

I don't have a safe/vault, because with no chilluns around, I really don't need one. Seems to me that most people have them to prevent kids from getting to the guns and ammunition and to protect them (and other important stuff) from fire.

Not really. It's a big purchase, and so I like to inform myself when I spend real money. There is a school of thought that suggest that spending the money on a safe that can be gotten into with mundane means such as hand tools is wasted money. I am not saying I subscribe to that theory, I am just soliciting opinions/feedback here to see how others view the situation.

I am more concerned with nieces/nephews and form deterring any non-professional type thieves from getting at dangerous or important things in the house.

I have a Liberty (lincoln model). Spent around $1800 at a sportsman show (including delivery). Good reputation, good heat resistance, and it was set up well. Guns take up half the safe. Documents & misc (ammo) take up the other half. At 900+ lbs, I don't feel the need to bolt it down. I do keep a dehumidifier in it to keep everything dry.

This is the upper end of what I am willing to spend. There is a local company (maybe an hour form here) that sells several top brands. I plan on taking a ride over there when I have a chance, but as when dealing with any sales person I need to be somewhat informed before I consider the information gained from them.

I don't have a big safe yet..... but for storing a few handguns and for quick access I think everyone should own a Gunvault. Quality and very quick to get into. I have the two level one without the light (I think it's the gv2000-std) and I paid around $120 for it. They have a one level to house basically one gun for $80 or so.

I don't have a big safe yet..... but for storing a few handguns and for quick access I think everyone should own a Gunvault. Quality and very quick to get into. I have the two level one without the light (I think it's the gv2000-std) and I paid around $120 for it. They have a one level to house basically one gun for $80 or so.

I thought about getting a gunvault. Doing research about them I came across

Since you have one, you could verify this :wacko: