[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matt Ryan named OROY

tazinib1

Congrats to Matt Ryan and the Falcons. He was ALOT better than I thought. Great arm, great composure and pocket presence, and he made good decisions with the ball. The week I thought this kid's for real was in Week 6 vs. the Bears when they were down 20-19 with only seconds remaining. He clutched up and made a pass to Jenkins down the sideline and then Elam booted the winning FG.

Very deserving. This kid is a STUD QB already. I was extremely impressed with him this year.

I wouldn't go that far.

As a Falcons HomARRRRRR, I was very pleased but I had the benefit of low expectations.

Like Big Ben's rookie season, Ryan looked very good due to outstanding OL play, a relentless running game, and decent D (in Ben's case it was a pretty awesome D).

Something to consider going forward... Ryan attempted 30 or more passes in only 6 games this season (33, 41, 30, 44, 33, 33). ATL was 1-5 in those games. The only win was vs CHI and that was 30 attempts. Ryan's TD:INT in those 6 games, 3:6.

I think he has the goods but a stud QB... in the real or FF sense... not by a longshot, yet.

Ryan is a solid choice although Keller, Johnson, Forte and Slaton had very good years too.

FWIW, Stewart had a pretty good year too considering he was sharing carries.

Now there's the better choice, IMO. Ryan was outstanding but as I noted he was helped greatly by those around him.

Forte had the highest percentage of any NFL team's 'touches' with right around 50%. His stats and consistency speak for themselves but what isn't mentioned were his low expectations. This was a Bears OL and overall offense that looked horrible going into the season and frankly still isn't going to scare anyone.

Even with the benefit of hindsight, Ryan had a top WR (White... yeah Ryan obviously helped but keep in mind this guy caught 5 fewer balls, 1 fewer TDs, and 180 fewer yards last year with some serious turds at QB) and a breakout workhorse RB (Turner). Jenkins and Douglas alone would probably be the CHI starting WRs tomorrow.

I wouldn't go that far.

As a Falcons HomARRRRRR, I was very pleased but I had the benefit of low expectations.

Like Big Ben's rookie season, Ryan looked very good due to outstanding OL play, a relentless running game, and decent D (in Ben's case it was a pretty awesome D).

Something to consider going forward... Ryan attempted 30 or more passes in only 6 games this season (33, 41, 30, 44, 33, 33). ATL was 1-5 in those games. The only win was vs CHI and that was 30 attempts. Ryan's TD:INT in those 6 games, 3:6.

I think he has the goods but a stud QB... in the real or FF sense... not by a longshot, yet.

Your point?

That just means that he went 10 - 0 in games in which he threw less than 30 passes. A span in which he averaged 22 attempts per game and threw 13 td's against just 5 int's

I thnk Flacco should have at least garnered some consideration. He was thrust into the starting role due to injuries in preseason. The Ravens had no choice but to go with him due to the injuries to Boller and the severe illness to Troy Smith. He may never have played a down this year were it not for those occurances. I'm not saying he should have won the award, but to not get any votes is ridiculous.

I thnk Flacco should have at least garnered some consideration. He was thrust into the starting role due to injuries in preseason. The Ravens had no choice but to go with him due to the injuries to Boller and the severe illness to Troy Smith. He may never have played a down this year were it not for those occurances. I'm not saying he should have won the award, but to not get any votes is ridiculous.

Flacco had a good year too, but it was a pretty good offensive class alltogether. The major thing I would say seperated the two were the fact that Baltimore had a rock solid D to help him out in games.

Your point?

That just means that he went 10 - 0 in games in which he threw less than 30 passes. A span in which he averaged 22 attempts per game and threw 13 td's against just 5 int's

My point is Ryan didn't do this alone. It's no coincidence that the Falcons went 11-5 AND were the 2nd best rushing team in the league while scoring the 3rd most TDs on the ground. To a Falcon fan, this isn't new... having a good season due to a great ground game.

Same goes with a team like Carolina. It's a team that probably would not have won their division if Delhomme had to attempt 30+ passes per game. Delhomme just isn't that good. So far all 3 of Delhomme's playoff seasons have come when he averages under 30 attempts.

Ryan has the goods but he's not a 'stud' QB by any measure, yet. He's not on the level of Brees, Manning, Rivers, Roethlisburger, or Warner. Hell, take Cassell. Cassel had 12 games with 30+ attempts this year while NE went 7-5. During Indy's 8 game win streak, Manning attempted 32+ 6 times. These are teams and QBs that have shown they can win a game through the air.

Edited by kingfish247

Chris Johnson disagrees, seems like the Titans have a Dill Josh Gordon in training:

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=65107

"Titans running back Chris Johnson said Wednesday that if players voted for Offensive Rookie of the Year, he believes that he, not Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan, would have won the award.

The award is voted upon by a panel of 50 media members from across the nation and is overseen by the Associated Press. Ryan received 44 votes, while Johnson, the runner-up, received just three votes.

“Of course, it would have been different,” Johnson said. “I had the most votes of any rookie [for the Pro Bowl], more than Matt Ryan. I’m the only one that made it to the Pro Bowl out of all the rookies.”

Pro Bowl balloting is done in thirds, with fan vote, player vote and coaches votes each counting one-third in the process.

“He’s a good player, and he played quarterback and did a good job this year,” Johnson said of Ryan, who guided the Falcons to an 11-5 record and a playoff berth. “But the whole thing is bogus, because people are voting for it that are not on the same field as the people who are playing.

“I’m disappointed. I did all I could to win it. I feel I did the best. I feel I did all I could do to win it; it just didn’t come my way.”

Ryan threw for 16 touchdowns and 11 interceptions, posting 3,440 yards and an 87.7 passer rating.

Johnson rushed for 1,228 yards and nine touchdowns for the Titans.

At least one Titans teammate agrees that Johnson should have been the winner.

“He’s the only rookie going to the Pro Bowl, so he’s got to be the Rookie of the Year,” tight end Bo Scaife said. “And we’ve got the best record in the NFL. Chris Johnson has go"

~~~~

So, based on his stats amongst the rookie RBs, how doe she figure? And how does he get teammates to blow smoke up a rooks a$$?

Yrds Rushing:

Slaton 1282

Forte 1238

Johnson 1228

Stewart 836

TDs

Stewart 10

Slaton 9

Johnson 9

Forte 8

Att:

Forte 316

Slaton 268

Johnson 251

Stewart 184

Edited by The Vatican Hitsquad

Chris Johnson disagrees, seems like the Titans have a Dill Josh Gordon in training:

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=65107

"Titans running back Chris Johnson said Wednesday that if players voted for Offensive Rookie of the Year, he believes that he, not Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan, would have won the award.

The award is voted upon by a panel of 50 media members from across the nation and is overseen by the Associated Press. Ryan received 44 votes, while Johnson, the runner-up, received just three votes.

“Of course, it would have been different,” Johnson said. “I had the most votes of any rookie [for the Pro Bowl], more than Matt Ryan. I’m the only one that made it to the Pro Bowl out of all the rookies.”

Pro Bowl balloting is done in thirds, with fan vote, player vote and coaches votes each counting one-third in the process.

“He’s a good player, and he played quarterback and did a good job this year,” Johnson said of Ryan, who guided the Falcons to an 11-5 record and a playoff berth. “But the whole thing is bogus, because people are voting for it that are not on the same field as the people who are playing.

“I’m disappointed. I did all I could to win it. I feel I did the best. I feel I did all I could do to win it; it just didn’t come my way.”

Ryan threw for 16 touchdowns and 11 interceptions, posting 3,440 yards and an 87.7 passer rating.

Johnson rushed for 1,228 yards and nine touchdowns for the Titans.

At least one Titans teammate agrees that Johnson should have been the winner.

“He’s the only rookie going to the Pro Bowl, so he’s got to be the Rookie of the Year,” tight end Bo Scaife said. “And we’ve got the best record in the NFL. Chris Johnson has go"

~~~~

So, based on his stats amongst the rookie RBs, how doe she figure? And how does he get teammates to blow smoke up a rooks a$$?

Yrds Rushing:

Slaton 1282

Forte 1238

Johnson 1228

Stewart 836

TDs

Stewart 10

Slaton 9

Johnson 9

Forte 8

Att:

Forte 316

Slaton 268

Johnson 251

Stewart 184

If Pro Bowl voting would have been later in the season, he probably wouldn't even have gotten one of those spots.

So, based on his stats amongst the rookie RBs, how does she figure? And how does he get teammates to blow smoke up a rooks a$$?

Rookie RB receiving stats...

Rec yds

1. M. Forte, 477

2. Slaton, 377

3. K. Smith, 286

4. Rice, 273

5. C. Johnson, 260

Recs

1. M. Forte, 63

2. Slaton, 50

3. C. Johnson, 43

TDs

1. M. Forte, 4

2. Slaton, J. Charles, Mike Tolbert, Peyton Hillis, PJ Pope, and... C. Johnson, 1

Rookie RB receiving stats...

Rec yds

1. M. Forte, 477

2. Slaton, 377

3. K. Smith, 286

4. Rice, 273

5. C. Johnson, 260

Recs

1. M. Forte, 63

2. Slaton, 50

3. C. Johnson, 43

TDs

1. M. Forte, 4

2. Slaton, J. Charles, Mike Tolbert, Peyton Hillis, PJ Pope, and... C. Johnson, 1

I think it's important to remember that Forte was a feature back, and CJ put up his #'s in a committee backfield. Prorate Johnson's #'s to Forte's 316 attempts and he'd look like an easy pick.

He didn't get ANY votes? I agree that's ridiculous. He should've been #2 in the voting, IMO.