[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers v Colts

McBoog

I don't care what part of the field or when in the game a call is made. What I question is the actual call. They were handfighting, and unless every call throughout the game like that is called, that ref should have eaten that flag.

The DB did have his hands on him past 5 yards. See it all the time, every game, and most are left alone.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is when that penalty is usually called as the DT is trying to hold a guy to make room for the LB to fill the gap and make the tackle

Really? I'm sure you are probably correct, but it seems to me that defensive holding is almost always called on DBs on passing plays.

Really? I'm sure you are probably correct, but it seems to me that defensive holding is almost always called on DBs on passing plays.

Yes. You'll see a DT getting double teamed, but he'll be pulling an OL away from their assignment to clear the LB.

Yes. You'll see a DT getting double teamed, but he'll be pulling an OL away from their assignment to clear the LB.

Alright, I'll take back that complaint and add that the guy who got called on the obvious face mask was getting held just as obviously. :wacko:

Good game regardless.

:wacko:

You gonna tell me that none of those flags were valid? Look at the tape. Madden saw it, why didn't you?

I never said they were bad calls, I just thought it was a bit anticlimactic. :D

I guess Phillip Rivers has a username here.

Edited by budlitebrad

I'm a bit surprised that Rhodes didn't see more action tonight (4 carries). Was he still banged up a bit leading to the heavier dose of Addai?

Addai didn't impress me much...not a terrible game, but nothing special either (Chargers "D" definitely should take a lot of the credit). Rhodes isn't as talented, but he seems to run harder than Addai.

Colts 48 Chargers 6

After the game, Phillip Rivers whines to the media about the coach, the defense and Tomlinson, gets fired, and starts a moving company with Ryan Leaf.

I say Chargers 23 Colts 17 in OT

Rivers smiles Sproles goes off and an indy LB makes a camera man have to change his tighty whities! Just my opinion!

:wacko:

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

Great game. Congrats Chargers fans, and I didn't know who to root for, as I think both teams are extremely dangerous if they come into Pittsburgh next week.

Could be interesting since the Steelers and Chargers played earlier this year in PIT.

PIT won 11-10. Chargers lost the game without giving up a TD. PIT won on a FG with 15 seconds left in the game.

Edited by Riffraff

Bad calls? Not really. Weak calls, considering they had more of an impact in determining the end result than the actual play by the players? I'd have to say yes.

- Intentional grounding no-call on Rivers, I thought was quite obvious. Throwing it directly into the ground is intentional grounding, even if there happens to be a receiver within 5 yards of where it lands... I see it called that way a lot (just not on that particular play).

- Defensive holding call - Probably a good call, technically, but that kind of contact takes place on just about every passing play. Given that Rivers basically tried to throw the ball away out of desperation (because of the pressure on him), I would say it was an unnecessary call. Might have even been uncatchable.

- Face mask on Sessions - It was a face mask, but Sessions himself had his face mask grabbed/pulled just as much as what he did to Sproles, before the tackle.

Props to SD for getting it done. I just hate to see a game decided that way by the most flag-happy referee crew in the league (and that's a fact). Let 'em play! :wacko: Not saying the outcome would have been any different, but those couple of very weak calls pretty much took away any legitimate chance that the Colts had of stopping the Chargers on that "drive."

those couple of very weak calls pretty much took away any legitimate chance that the Colts had of stopping the Chargers on that "drive."

And there's the point. The three fouls WERE fouls, so it's clear the Colts had no legitimate chance through their own inabilities.

Perhaps we should just abandon refs altogether.

And there's the point. The three fouls WERE fouls, so it's clear the Colts had no legitimate chance through their own inabilities.

Perhaps we should just abandon refs altogether.

It's called "ticky tack." The equivalent of calling a bunch of touch fouls at the end of a basketball game, and having two teams decide the game at the line, when it's really not necessary.

Like I said, if you're going to call everything, then why not call the intentional grounding (which it was)? And, if you're going to call a personal foul on Sessions for a face mask in which he clearly removed his hand from the mask immediately after grabbing it, why not call the same foul on the offensive lineman who blatantly did the same thing?

I have no horse in this race... Could not really care less who won. I thought it was a very good game, for the most part. The fact that the refs were so whistle-happy on that last drive just takes a little away from what was a very good game, in my opinion (as an impartial observer). :wacko:

It's called "ticky tack." The equivalent of calling a bunch of touch fouls at the end of a basketball game, and having two teams decide the game at the line, when it's really not necessary.

Like I said, if you're going to call everything, then why not call the intentional grounding (which it was)? And, if you're going to call a personal foul on Sessions for a face mask in which he clearly removed his hand from the mask immediately after grabbing it, why not call the same foul on the offensive lineman who blatantly did the same thing?

I have no horse in this race... Could not really care less who won. I thought it was a very good game, for the most part. The fact that the refs were so whistle-happy on that last drive just takes a little away from what was a very good game, in my opinion (as an impartial observer). :wacko:

I completely disagree. All three fouls were very good examples of fouls. None were "ticky-tack". The facemask was held for several seconds - Michaels and Madden both agreed they were good calls. The Colts just couldn't stop SD without fouling.

As for the intentional grounding, it almost never gets called when the QB throws at a receivers feet even when we all know the receiver has no chance in hell of catching it. I've seen far worse than this one not called.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

As for the intentional grounding, it almost never gets called when the QB throws at a receivers feet even when we all know the receiver has no chance in hell of catching it. I've seen far worse than this one not called.

Exactly. Matt Ryan was doing this the whole game and wasn't called for it. It's legit.

I completely disagree. All three fouls were very good examples of fouls. None were "ticky-tack". The facemask was held for several seconds - Michaels and Madden both agreed they were good calls. The Colts just couldn't stop SD without fouling.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion... That's one way of looking at it. Another would be that the Chargers couldn't complete a first down on that drive without a penalty being called. The one exception was the Gates completion, and that was actually a very poor spot... short of the marker by nearly a full yard. As far as Madden is concerned, he is pretty much senile. Michaels is still decent, but Madden... :wacko: You'll have to come up with a lot better than that to convince me that those were all "very good examples of fouls."

Regardless, that wasn't really my point in my original post. My point was that the fouls, whether legitimate or not, would have had very little to no impact on the outcome of the game, had they not been called, thus making them unnecessary calls.

- Defensive holding - Like I said earlier, the ball was intentionally thrown away by Rivers due to pressure, and most likely not catchable. The penalty completely bailed him out on a play in which the defensive pressure caused him to throw it away.

- Face mask - Sproles was going down regardless of the face mask. If they're going to do away with the 5-yard version of facemasking, then the 15-yard personal foul, in my opinion, needs to be 1) very blatant and 2) a situation where the defender actually tackles the runner by his face mask. On that particular play, that was not the case. Sproles was going down regardless. You saw "several seconds", I saw 1-2 seconds and Sessions removing his hand from the mask once he realized he had grabbed it. Not really blatant, in my opinion, and definitely not a play where the face mask was what allowed the runner to be tackled.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree... Either way, it was a good game, and if San Diego continues to play like they did tonight (on defense, in particular), they have as good of a shot as anybody else in the AFC. I just happen to think the refs got a little too involved on a few plays where they didn't need to be.

Great game. Congrats Chargers fans, and I didn't know who to root for, as I think both teams are extremely dangerous if they come into Pittsburgh next week.

Awesome game to watch. Two very good teams. :wacko:

Thanks for the congrats, Menudo!

I just got home from this game. My wife and I agreed it was probably the most entertaining playoff game we've ever been to. The atmosphere was electric (we ARE the Bolts, after all). The crowd noise was as loud as I've ever heard it. My ears are still ringing, and my voice is officially gone.

After the game we went over to a friend's house to watch taped highlights and postgame commentary. Quite a night of NFL football!!!

It's times like this that I remember how much I love this game. There's nothing quite as exciting as a home playoff game. I will be talking about this one for a long time to come.

Thanks for the congrats, Menudo!

I just got home from this game. My wife and I agreed it was probably the most entertaining playoff game we've ever been to. The atmosphere was electric (we ARE the Bolts, after all). The crowd noise was as loud as I've ever heard it. My ears are still ringing, and my voice is officially gone.

After the game we went over to a friend's house to watch taped highlights and postgame commentary. Quite a night of NFL football!!!

It's times like this that I remember how much I love this game. There's nothing quite as exciting as a home playoff game. I will be talking about this one for a long time to come.

Sounds like good time Chargerz. :wacko:

Congratulations on your teams' great win. I know the feeling of being in the building during a game like that. It's just awesome and like you said, it reminds you why football is the greatest sport.

We're up and packing the car getting ready for the 4+hour drive to South Florida to see my Dolphins play the Ravens. Hopefully we'll have a similar experience to yours. :D

The calls were not the reason the Colts lost this game. All they needed was 2 yards for a first down in regulation and the game is over. The Colts not being able to run the ball all year finally came back and bit them. All of San Diego's points in regulation came after Scifres pinned the Colts back at the goal line. That had to be the best game I have ever seen by a punter.You have to be able to run the ball when you are pinned back like that. San Diego has always played Indy well defensively and the Colts being so one dimensional made it easier on the defense. Colts have no one to blame but themselves. Underachievers again.