[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer Training School

Footballjoe

My 19 yo son wants to get trained to do computer work. He heard about ComputerTraining.com on the radio. We meet with them today to find out about the school. It sounds good but I am always a little skeptical about schools I have never heard of and that offer job placement. They claim to be accredited and have been in business over 20 yrs. Also they claim to be in various places across the country. It is a 6 month course that you attend 2 nights a week . All material is provided including a computer. You get all certifications needed to go to work and get placed in a job. The cost is $28,500.00. :wacko: Thats sounds like an awful lot. However, if you compare it to going to a 2 or 4 year college its probably much cheaper. You also start earning money much sooner that going to college and don't have to mess with the courses not needed.

Just wondering if anyne has attened a school like this or know someone who has? Is it legit or a rip off? etc.

Appreciate any imput. TIA :D

Never heard of them, but it could be something like an MCSE certification course. $28,500 sounds ludicrous IMO, though. :D If it feels like a sales pitch I'd run like hell. You shouldn't need to be sold on a school...

It wasn't presented like a sales pitch. I was thinking about calling some of the places they claim to have placed people i.e. canon, Siemons, Embarg, Robert Half Tech, kelly IT Resources, etc and see what the deal is.

I agree $28,500 sounds outragous but compared to what my son's girlfriend is paying for community college its not bad. However this is only a 6 month course. :wacko:

When I worked in IT, we hired non-certified people who did a lot of the grunt work setting up hardware that the engineers hated to do. They also got paid $14-16 while they went to school, and immediately had jobs that paid really really well as soon as they were done. Before committing to the school, talk to your son about getting himself in with a smaller IT business that might commit to apprenticing him which will give him ample opportunity to study on his own and through much cheaper options in certification through a community college or extension program.

The cost is $28,500.00. :wacko: Thats sounds like an awful lot. However, if you compare it to going to a 2 or 4 year college its probably much cheaper.

Don't be so sure... four years of in-state tuition where I teach would run $33,600 total.

$28,500 just sounds like a ridiculous amount of money for six months of training.

At first glance, ~28k for a 6 month course sounds nuts, and I don't see how they can guarantee that you "get all certifications" ... what certifications? How do they guarantee that the student will pass the certification tests? What's the placement success rate after you complete the course, etc, etc?

I did a real fast Google search, and fould this link, which does not sound promising - I'd suggest that you do some further research into this gig before going any farther ... computer training is certainly not a bad way to start a career, but be certain that you & your son are investing in the right training with the right learning center.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/140/RipOff0140453.htm

Good luck.

This is the article ts suggested I read.

Report: ComputerTraining.com

Category: Computer Training & Education

ComputerTraining.com ripoff false advertisement misleading information very misleading seminar Towson Maryland

*Consumer Comment ..ComputerTraining in Annapolis Junction, they are all the same

Read how Ripoff Report saves consumers millions.

Rebuttal Box

Respond to this report!

Are you an owner, employee or ex-employee with either negative or positive information about the company or individual, or can you provide "insider information" on this company?

ComputerTraining.com

Phone: 800-733-5641

Fax: 800-307-0209

1447 York Road, Suite 610, Galleria

Towson, Maryland, 21093

U.S.A.

Submitted: 4/26/2005 12:48:38 PM

Modified: 12/22/2007 3:32:46 PM

Patrick

Westminster, Maryland

Ripoff Report Verified Safe

I just recently took the 6 month course from Towson,MD., and 2 months into the program, I had bad feelings about this class, being very misleading. As far as the 'ON HANDS TRAINING' you only get to do hands on 1 time on most all subjects, however, We were not taught everything that we needed to know. We went over all of the basic situations, but getting into the deep end, that was just talked about in class, with no hands on.The school was to let everybody believe that they will give the students what they need to pass the exams, which isn't true. The school suggested to get more additional test prep from places like www.testking.com, ect. Students from Computertraining.com pays 22K for the school, and there shouldn't be a need to purchase extra TEST PREP from other 3rd parties.

During the seminar, Greg Meisenhelter had a huge amount of misleading information, just to get people to sign up for the class to be the New ComputerTraining Students.Me and my parents were told alot of misleading information, that after a couple of months in the class, I realized that me and my family have been fooled. Anybody can Graduate this school, because all you have to do is, attend your classes from beginning to end, and the students will recieve a Graduation Certificate.The students can eat dinner during class, come to school late, and leave early all the time, miss days on end, and still get there Graduation Certificate, because there isn't any type of Exam from ComputerTraining.com itself. All Exams are done at Microsoft, and ComputerTraining doesn't have anything to do with Microsoft themselves. The only job force that came to school to talk to the students was 1 company, and that was 'BEST BUY'. At the end of school, the students find out that they need alot more schooling, and other degrees, and certificates to get the 30k-60k year salary, like they advertise on radio stations.The class is usually about 18 students. For 1 class, 2 times a week for 4 hours long, With 22K from each student signing a contract for the 6 month course, comes out to $396,000.00 that the school makes out and they cann't even get the students to pass all the Exams. Out of my class (18) students, only 1 student passed all the Exams with purchasing Extra test prep for Microsoft Exams. 15 students has only passed there first Exam as a MCP ( Microsoft Certified Proffesional ), and 2 students Have not even been certified for the MCP.

So, 17 students Graduated school, and never recieved their MCSA, or MCSE. This goes to show that the school is not teaching correctly. Beware of the misleading advertisements, and seminars. Don't waist your time. Buy the books from Microsoft, and purchase Test Prep Material, and go take the exams, Don't pay 22K for something that will not be worth your time and money. You need to have more schooling than MCP,MCSA, and MCSE, to make more than 35K per year salary. DO NOT BE FOOLED! 'RIP-OFF'

Student00

Towson, Maryland

U.S.A.

Never heard of them. I looked at their website and see they are East Coast to Midwest regions. I'm west coast.

I originally thought it was some sort of IT "boot camp" where they prep you for taking the basic certs. Doesn't seem to be that way.

Beware of any institution where you are guaranteed to "pass" if you pay.

The above company did not come up as bogus when searching through the Better Business Bureau. Not a single entry for them. So, they are legit for being in the business for 20+ years. Maybe they are a decent technical training school. I don't know.

If you are going to blow nearly $30k towards a piece of IT paper, may as well get the full bachelor's degree from a state (public) college. At least your son will be able to get another job if the IT part doesn't work out. He'll get his A+, MCP, MCSA, and MCSE while completing the bachelors.

Just like with any other degree, the name of the institution on the degree opens doors. Brick and mortar schools >>>>>>>>>> online schools.

The internship suggestion above is gold. 6 months of experience is much more attractive than none at all. In the IT field, companies (that pay well) pay for the experience you already have. They generally do NOT want to train you themselves. You need to be able to start work the day you walk in the door. After people get their basic certs, they then specialize. Make sure he knows what he wants to work on and direct his training towards that.

My last thought: Lots of people look at IT salaries and want to jump into the field to chase dollar signs. Only a few have the aptitude and willingness to stick with it to become above average at it. So, when the previous poster showed a previous student saying that many did not pass their tests... believe it. Entry level support jobs are easy to fill since any teenager can do the job, the big bucks ones are hard to fill with qualified candidates. Lots of people joining the IT field don't want to venture too far into the gray area where the text books end and the system begins. They just don't have the natural aptitude.

Edited by Riffraff

FJ - check your PM.

Do NOT sign up for any of these schools. They appeal to young people with their short classes. I will point you in the right direction, i've been in the industry for over 10 years now and know the ins and outs.

FJ - check your PM.

Do NOT sign up for any of these schools. They appeal to young people with their short classes. I will point you in the right direction, i've been in the industry for over 10 years now and know the ins and outs.

Saw the PM and tried to respond. Empty your box. :wacko::D

Will try to call tomorrow. Thanks :D

Don't be so sure... four years of in-state tuition where I teach would run $33,600 total.

$28,500 just sounds like a ridiculous amount of money for six months of training.

That was the point I was trying to make (badly). They'll show you the "average" tuition/r&B/books at a four year institution and show you what they're "saving" you. Of course they don't point out you're getting one semester at 8 hours versus 120 hours instruction at a normal institution. And if they are suggesting extra test prep for MCSE or the MSCP certifications, then they're a joke.

Additionally, in light of what Cliaz said, I'd run from them.

FBJ,

This is right up my alley! I was a college advisor for more than 20 years. (Retired Professor Emeritus 2002 from the College of DuPage ~32000 bodies...big school) I have a lot of people who still thank me for the advice I gave. Not bragging just stating facts. My skills are still sharp in this area. My specialties are Technology/Manuf/Archy/Health/Engineering. I think I qualify to help and would love to.

The private schools can be good, but a lot of trip wires.

PM me your phone #. I can call you, no problem. Time??? Whenever.

This is a big decision. Spend the time not the $$$$$!

PM me or I will be pissed! :wacko: If I can't help, I'd be surprised. The power/knowledge of "The Huddle" is massive. Use it!

I 'll will be waiting.

Tom (rr26) Robin

I saw their commercial and immediately thought "ripoff". I've been in IT since 1990 and have taught MCSE classes at two really rough schools here in the Minneapolis metro.

The second of them took advantage of the computer boom in 1998/99 and had hundreds of students, mostly complete idiots who would be lucky to get a job in a car wash but had got the money to attend from the State or other government entity for the most part. They had criminals on day release, welfare queens and all sorts - paid me $50 / hour though for 5 hours work a night (only actually did about three on average) so it was a good gig for me. :wacko:

There are way better ways to pick up certifications. There are a number of decent ones - Cisco, Oracle and Microsoft are always worthwhile. That said, all a cert does is show you can pass a test.

ETA: The school referenced above is now no more.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

FBJ,

This is right up my alley! I was a college advisor for more than 20 years. (Retired Professor Emeritus 2002 from the College of DuPage ~32000 bodies...big school) I have a lot of people who still thank me for the advice I gave. Not bragging just stating facts. My skills are still sharp in this area. My specialties are Technology/Manuf/Archy/Health/Engineering. I think I qualify to help and would love to.

The private schools can be good, but a lot of trip wires.

PM me your phone #. I can call you, no problem. Time??? Whenever.

This is a big decision. Spend the time not the $$$$$!

PM me or I will be pissed! :wacko: If I can't help, I'd be surprised. The power/knowledge of "The Huddle" is massive. Use it!

I 'll will be waiting.

Tom (rr26) Robin

Will definitlely call. My son is not home right now but I will get with him so we can both talk to you. Thanks :D

JMO....but in today's HR focused hiring cycle it can be difficult to even get an interview without a bachelor's degree. In IT you typically need a Bachelor's degree and XYZ certification.

Not saying it's a waste, but it will limit his job options for life if he skips the 4 year degree.

I would like to think that people who graduate from technical schools get the same opportunites as people who graduate from colleges for a cheaper price. Colleges are way way too expensive, and their quality of learning is down. They need some competition. I've worked with some folks who went to ITT or other 2 year technical schools who knew way more than folks I graduated my 60K university with.

But sheesh:

"6 month... 2 nights a week... $28,500.00"

That's unbelievable. No way that's a good deal.

Will definitlely call. My son is not home right now but I will get with him so we can both talk to you. Thanks :wacko:

A call with the both of you would be perfect! Did the same w/ Gunther.

Awaiting your PM and time to call.

I would like to think that people who graduate from technical schools get the same opportunites as people who graduate from colleges for a cheaper price. Colleges are way way too expensive, and their quality of learning is down. They need some competition. I've worked with some folks who went to ITT or other 2 year technical schools who knew way more than folks I graduated my 60K university with.

But sheesh:

"6 month... 2 nights a week... $28,500.00"

That's unbelievable. No way that's a good deal.

Often times hiring managers will have to submit criteria to HR based on which the HR people will have to sort through resumes full of stuff they don't really understand.

"Bachelor's Degree" is an easy line to draw. So is MCSE, A+ Certified, etc.. HR people can follow that stuff without haveing to read too much technical information. That is what I meant

JMO....but in today's HR focused hiring cycle it can be difficult to even get an interview without a bachelor's degree. In IT you typically need a Bachelor's degree and XYZ certification.

Not saying it's a waste, but it will limit his job options for life if he skips the 4 year degree.

True statement.

I think there are a few HR peeps in the Huddle crowd that can verify.

Essentially, this school will only be giving a diploma that is neither an associates, nor a certification. Worst of both worlds.

I'm not even sure it qualifies as a vocational / technical degree or certification.

Not having a bachelors degree is one way to cut the application pile down to a manageable amount. Especially if a computer is doing the first round of cuts. No full education + no experience = no job, unless someone knows someone.

It's not the 1990s anymore.

Edited by Riffraff

There are way better ways to pick up certifications. There are a number of decent ones - Cisco, Oracle and Microsoft are always worthwhile. That said, all a cert does is show you can pass a test.

Really good info here. I've sat in the interviews for my technical operations groups before and because of my position, i am frequently involved in discussions on potential new hires. Here is some basic advice from me:

1. MCSE is not the glorified certification anymore where you can just walk into the profession making 50k+ a year. If you are a new MCSE, you are lucky to break 25 to 27k.

2. Networking and Network security is a booming area and I highly recommend your son go that route. Everything is networked and will continue to be networked. Just look at how our phones are going VIOP/VONTAGE/FIOS.

3. Oracle is a very solid and very high paying group of certs to have. Our Oracle DBAs make on par with our group managers [w/experience].

4. If your boy wants to know an O/S, tell him to go the route of LINUX Redhat and learn clustering.

Really good info here. I've sat in the interviews for my technical operations groups before and because of my position, i am frequently involved in discussions on potential new hires. Here is some basic advice from me:

1. MCSE is not the glorified certification anymore where you can just walk into the profession making 50k+ a year. If you are a new MCSE, you are lucky to break 25 to 27k.

2. Networking and Network security is a booming area and I highly recommend your son go that route. Everything is networked and will continue to be networked. Just look at how our phones are going VIOP/VONTAGE/FIOS.

3. Oracle is a very solid and very high paying group of certs to have. Our Oracle DBAs make on par with our group managers [w/experience].

4. If your boy wants to know an O/S, tell him to go the route of LINUX Redhat and learn clustering.

Cliff, can you clear some pm's so I can get a message through ?

He speaks the truth too.

IT is a strange profession. There are always openings that never get filled. Yet is is a hugely competitive field to get into. People change posiitons quite a bit.