[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Observation

jackshi17

This year I have had the pleasure of watching over eighty regular season games and two playoff games.

I have noticed one thing across the board and that is the presence of the officials. I always thought they were suppose to be like invisible.

So far I have seen way too many penalties sometimes four or five plays in a row. I say this detracts from the enjoyment of the game,

I realize that you could probably call a penalty on almost every play but that doesn't mean you have to.

This will be the cause of less and less attendance if allowed to continue.

Any one else have a problem with to many flags?

Economy has more to do with the attendance than anything the zebras do.

If a ref crew is going to make themselves visible, it had better be balanced. The last 6 penalties in the game were on Indy tonight. One offside call on SD in the 2nd half, and besides that, SD played a totally clean game. Pretty amazing stuff there.

Economy has more to do with the attendance than anything the zebras do.

If a ref crew is going to make themselves visible, it had better be balanced. The last 6 penalties in the game were on Indy tonight. One offside call on SD in the 2nd half, and besides that, SD played a totally clean game. Pretty amazing stuff there.

Amazing...at one point this year Pittsburgh went 23 straight quarters without the blitzing Pitt defense being held. Thats amazing.

Its one thing if the refs throw flag after flag for bad calls, but as Czar stated above, it boiled down to one penalty - Sessions face mask. It is the refs responsibility to throw a flag for a penalty, and the players responsibility to play withn the rules.

The problem isnt when the refs throw too many flags, its when the players give them reason to throw the flags.

Of course you have the errant calls as well, but thats a different issue.

Its one thing if the refs throw flag after flag for bad calls, but as Czar stated above, it boiled down to one penalty - Sessions face mask. It is the refs responsibility to throw a flag for a penalty, and the players responsibility to play withn the rules.

I disagree. There never would have been a facemask if they didn't call that phantom defensive holding penalty. That both gave SD new life when they would have had to kick a long FG, and also pissed off the whole Indy defense. That call turned the game as far as I'm concerned.

Not sure Czar said anything other than it was a nail in the coffin. That was true.

The DB holding call didn't turn the game, as it was already heading in Chargers direction. It was a weak call.

With that said, Colts needed one first down in regulation. One.

I disagree. There never would have been a facemask if they didn't call that phantom defensive holding penalty. That both gave SD new life when they would have had to kick a long FG, and also pissed off the whole Indy defense. That call turned the game as far as I'm concerned.

They cant get every call right.

Not sure Czar said anything other than it was a nail in the coffin. That was true.

The DB holding call didn't turn the game, as it was already heading in Chargers direction. It was a weak call.

With that said, Colts needed one first down in regulation. One.

Yeah, it came down to that one call.

They cant get every call right.

Which is why the refs typically hold onto their flags at the end of games unless the call is obvious. And I agree with the previous posters that the defensive holding call was the biggie because of the obvious reason that SD should have never been in the position to get that facemask call. Not to mention that SD had already cracked the long FG range area before the facemask.

Which is why the refs typically hold onto their flags at the end of games unless the call is obvious. And I agree with the previous posters that the defensive holding call was the biggie because of the obvious reason that SD should have never been in the position to get that facemask call. Not to mention that SD had already cracked the long FG range area before the facemask.

But that long FG range was far from a guarantee. Regardless of what call anyone thinks caused the momentum swing, the point Im trying to make is that all the defense had to do was stop them... without the penalties. No penalty, no first down. Yeah it might have been a long FG to win it anyway, but the 1st down gave them a much closer FG, and then Sproles just walked in.

But that long FG range was far from a guarantee. Regardless of what call anyone thinks caused the momentum swing, the point Im trying to make is that all the defense had to do was stop them... without the penalties. No penalty, no first down. Yeah it might have been a long FG to win it anyway, but the 1st down gave them a much closer FG, and then Sproles just walked in.

Sure, but claiming the facemask was the "bigger" penalty out of the two simply doesn't add up.

No defensive hold; the Chargers are punting on 4th and 8.

No facemask; the Chargers have 2nd and 10 at the Colts 35; I'd say at least a 50% chance of winning on that drive. :wacko:

The Colts D forced a punt in overtime, and the officials blew it. I don't see how you throw that flag at that point in the game. Ridiculous. That penalty ruined a great game by both teams. The Colts very well may have still lost, but they got jobbed.