[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Third Hand Smoke

BiggieFries

So my wife was talking to her semi-crazy friend who heard about this Third Hand Smoke "dilemma". My wife is now up in arms about the fact that my father is visiting and still smokes. My dad goes outside to smoke but he smells like it and the garage kind of smells like it since he's throwing out the butts in a coffee can that we keep in there. My son sits with him at night and plays and my wife is afraid that something bad will happen to him.

What do you think? Anyone heard of this yet? I'm not sure yet. This Article claims that even though a mother that smokes and breast feeds can transfer all the toxins to her baby... it's still preferred for her to continue breast feeding than bottle feeding. :wacko: That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Edited by BiggieFries

You air quality inside the house if far more toxic than outside. Tell her to raise the kid in a cave and teach it to howl at the moon. Just keep it away from me in a restaurant. Gawd-danged parents bringing anyone under 18 anywhere in public.

Didn't your Dad ever play "make the baby cough" by blowing smoke in his face? I was smoking since I was 4 days old and I turned out just fine. I can hack up part of a lung and spit it (a county fair record) 25 yards.

Edited by TimC

ive heard of this. my wife made her parents take showers before they could hold our son if they had smoked. there are so many chemicals in smokes. those stay on your clothes and hair. infants lungs are very very sensitive. poopy is bad for ya.

Edited by dmarc117

We are all born with a terminal disease. Some of us fight it off longer than others but in the end, we all die. Trying to hang in so that we can spend those last couple of years in a home making someone else wipe my ass and my chin because I don't have the strength to move my hand to either oriface is not the way to go. Frankly, I'd rather have the massive coronary brought on by the "pork explosion".

Placing the child in a bubble in an attempt to keep any and all possible harm away from the child is doing the child a disservice IMO. You're not allowing the child's immune system to strengthen up by fighting off nasties and intellectually the child learns that the way to live is to be afraid of everything and hide from it. We don't need any more momma's boys running around.

sooo...I am guessing its also not a good idea to let kids ride in cars because these cars are on roads that have other cars spewing exhaust fumes which we know are damaging to the health of those that breathe them.

I imagine there's lots of little invisible particles in almost everything...the air from your furnace, the exhaust from a car, the residue from a carpet cleaner...to me, it just seems like another shot over the bow from anti-smoking activists.

Smoke is good for kids. It toughens them up. Life isn't all rainbows and lolipops, squirt. Sometimes it smells bad and makes you cough.

grew up with my dad basically chain smoking in the house , in the same small living room i was in with windows closed ....i used to have to struggle to see what was on TV through the clouds of smoke

dont beleive we see that going on today for the most part ...but at same time we do not live in a bubble

Everytime that I exhale, I jump back about a foot and wave my hands in front of my face because I exhale CO2 which is so bad and evil that it is literally killing our entire planet. I don't want to be breathing in my own poisonous exhalants. Dying from that would be irony enough for an Alanis Morissette song.

Notice how there's nothing in either article which shows or even claims any real evidence that "third hand smoke" is actually harmful - only that it exists and people's attitudes about it. :wacko:

What this really proves and reinforces is how people should always take medical people's OPINIONS with a grain of salt. "Experts" don't always know what they're talking about.

Take DMD's 08 draft advice, for example.

:D

Everytime that I exhale, I jump back about a foot and wave my hands in front of my face because I exhale CO2 which is so bad and evil that it is literally killing our entire planet. I don't want to be breathing in my own poisonous exhalants. Dying from that would be irony enough for an Alanis Morissette song.

Commie. You should wear the plastic bag on yer head like all good environmentalists. And don't forget the extra tight rubber band around your neck to protect others from yer fumes. Why risk infecting others, including Mother Earth, my Dad used to always tell me.

Edited by TimC

Commie. You should wear the plastic bag on yer head like all good environmentalists. And don't forget the extra tight rubber band around your neck to protect others from yer fumes. Why risk infecting others, including Mother Earth, my Dad used to always tell me.

:wacko:

You can't fight every battle, so you choose the ones that make outcasts out of the monority :wacko:

fixed

You'd never tell a mechanic or DOT worker they couldn't hold your kid (even though they mave have emissions particles on them), but you'd be the first to tell a smoker they couldn't hold your kid?

Ya know, most perfumes are not kid-friendly, so anyone that wears a fragrence should be kept away from kids. And women that spray their hair with aerosol hairspray should absolutely be kept away from children.

The more I think about it, the more pathetic the article becomes.

You know how many carcenigons your typical kid has? Between the pooping all over themselves, the constant puking on their own clothes, and the basic disgusting smell every kid has until the age of 12, they are probably more toxic than Chernobyl. I think I'll start a campaign of hosing every child I run across with a bottle of Lysol and a radiation scrubber. They are filthy disgusting creatures, aren't they?

Or it may just be safer to fine the parents for ever bringing that toxic waste dump into this world.

The more I think about it, the more I realize anyone who has ever brought a kid into this world may be a biological terrorist.

Edited by TimC

They are filthy disgusting creatures, aren't they?

I have four kids...each are in a class of 20-25 other kids each day. Nose-pickers, finger-suckers, ground-crawlers...needless to say, we bathe our kids vigorously every night, and hope for the best.

But we certainly are not going to keep them in a "green-bubble". Every person that berates this "third hand-smoke" theory better also be willing to throw out most detergents & cleaners in their homes, equip themsleves with Clorax wipes for every visit out in public, and force their kids to wear air masks wherever they go...or they are purposely subjecting their kids to pollutants.

Sounds pretty silly, but then again, so does the article.

Here is a little known fact , there is more bacteria on a sponge you use to clean the dishes than there is in a dirty ashtray

granted no one wants to eat whats in a dirty ashtray but point is germs are everywhere ...Body can handle alot more of them than we may even realize

granted no one wants to eat whats in a dirty ashtray but point is germs are everywhere ...Body can handle alot more of them than we may even realize

And over-excessive protection may just be counter-productive.

Honestly, is anyone REALLY worried about this chit? If so, yer a f'n basket case.