[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goodbye Frerotte

CaP'N GRuNGe

I'm sure Chilly won't put up with questioning his genius...

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2394

Frerotte: I would have given us the best chance

January 5th, 2009 – 9:52 PM by Judd Zulgad

Want to know how Gus Frerotte felt as he watched Tarvaris Jackson struggle in the Vikings playoff loss to Philadelphia on Sunday? All you need to do is read this piece by Michael Silver of Yahoo! This isn’t the first time in recent weeks that Silver has gotten some good stuff from Frerotte, the two are good friends, but the point is Frerotte is speaking the truth and it’s pretty interesting.

“I just don’t know what to think right now,” Frerotte told Silver on Sunday night. “It was a very frustrating experience, because I felt like I should’ve been the one playing. That might sound selfish, but I think I would’ve given us the best chance to win. I’m going home to St. Louis [on Monday] to be with my family and figure out where things stand, but the way things played out at the end really makes me question things.”

Frerotte has a two-year contract with the Vikings but given his frustration level right now it’s a safe bet that he isn’t coming back. There’s a few pretty interesting nuggets from some unidentified Vikings. Included is one player who told Silver that late in the game “our sideline was in total disarray.”

Childress made two smart moves this last season... benching Tarvaris Jackson early in the season for Gus Frerotte, and then benching Gus Frerotte late in the season for Tarvaris Jackson. Watching Gus in the pocket was like watching Frankenstein try to goosestep his way out of a trough full of molasses. He took more hits than a water bong at a U of Wisconsin-Madison rush week party. Now he's got a permanent drool and calls himself Gusssssssssssssssssssss.

Watching Gus in the pocket was like watching Frankenstein try to goosestep his way out of a trough full of molasses.

He took more hits than a water bong at a U of Wisconsin-Madison rush week party.

These two analogies are brilliant. :wacko::D

SB, you're a literary genius. :D

Frerotte isn't the answer and neither is Jackson. But it's hard to find something that Childress is doing right. He doesn't communicate to his players and most of them don't know how they stand with him. I get that from what Birk has told Mike Morris. So he doesn't know how to manage a game or make adjustments, his offense lacks imagination and doesn't make good use of the best runningback in the NFL, and he doesn't know when to accept penalties or how to run a 2 minute offense. So what is his strength? He's not the win one for the Gipper type of guy either.

Frerotte isn't the answer and neither is Jackson. But it's hard to find something that Childress is doing right. He doesn't communicate to his players and most of them don't know how they stand with him. I get that from what Birk has told Mike Morris. So he doesn't know how to manage a game or make adjustments, his offense lacks imagination and doesn't make good use of the best runningback in the NFL, and he doesn't know when to accept penalties or how to run a 2 minute offense. So what is his strength? He's not the win one for the Gipper type of guy either.

+1

I am so sick of the question of whether or not Tarvaris friggin Jackson can be the QB of this team. IMO, if we're still questioning it this much at this point, then we already have the answer. QB is such an important position in football. I have no idea why the Vikes would spend as much money as they have to upgrade nearly every other position yet continue to monkey around with a guy that has (quite frankly) never looked like he is anything special but often looked like he is in way over his head. All blame shouldnt go to TJ, though. The Vikes reached to take him in the 2nd round(when he was projected to be 4-7), said he was a 2-3 year project, but then made him the starter going into his 2nd year(despite him not showing any indication(in games, anyways) that he was progressing as a QB faster than predicted). Hell, Jackson even said he wasnt ready when he was asked about being the starting QB. When the guy doubts himself, shouldnt that be a red flag to the organization? IMO, they've hosed this up big time.

And I'm of the opinion that Chilly is not the guy for this team, either. Yes, the record has improved each year under his watch. But the team has also vastly upgraded its personnel at nearly all positions of need, too. I cant really think of any situations where its easy to see the genius of Chilly or see the value he is bringing. I can name several occurances where he(or members or his staff) have cost the team, though.

Vikes went 10-6 despite Chilly, IMO. He didn't do much to contibute to it, and doesnt deserve the extra time that coaches typically get when they win a Div/make the playoffs. I know he's around for at least another year, but I would expect him to be gone if he continues to make the same blunders and his team continues to struggle in the same ways it has been.

You mean like being down in the 4th quarter in a wild card home playoff game and having AP on the sidelines the entire time? I realize Chester is in there on 3rd downs as a better blocking back and receiver out of the backfield but how do you not put AP on there somewhere?