[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OU - FLA

theeohiostate

Utah has the biggest case in my opinion. They're undefeated and manhandled a team that Florida struggled with. USC is the best team if I had to choose though.

One notable point:

The Bama team Utah played was not the same Bama team that Florida played. Bama was missing, arguably, their best O-lineman. Then, his back up went down. Bama reshuffled the whole O-line where only one guy was playing his normal position. Much like what happened with UGA this year, missing your starting O-line can dramatically effect a teams performance.

I'll give Utah credit, though, they had one hell of a season and are among the best teams in the nation. The best, though, I'm not convinced.

You could also make the case that UF had a decided advantage with Murray missing from the OU team.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One notable point:

The Bama team Utah played was not the same Bama team that Florida played. Bama was missing, arguably, their best O-lineman. Then, his back up went down. Bama reshuffled the whole O-line where only one guy was playing his normal position. Much like what happened with UGA this year, missing your starting O-line can dramatically effect a teams performance.

I'll give Utah credit, though, they had one hell of a season and are among the best teams in the nation. The best, though, I'm not convinced.

You could also make the case that UF had a decided advantage with Murray missing from the OU team.

I will also agree with these points. There was a rumor floating around here in north FL about Harvin tweeking his ankle in practice. I can say with certainty that without Harvin, UF does not win this game tonight.

My top 5:

1) Florida

2) USC

3) Texas

4) Utah

5) Oklahoma

While I agree that losing their offensive lineman did affect Bama on offense but did you really see the game? Utah owned Alabama all night on both sides of the ball. Alabama loses that game with Anthony Munoz at left tackle.

As far as Murray's concerned ..... I thought Brown filled in more than admirably. He had a great game. IMO, the loss of a top running back is one of the easiest to hide.

well, considering Oregon St ended up a 9 win team that had Utah on the ropes @Utah and finished the season ranked #18 in the country,

certainly not the worst loss ever.........

Interesting that the two "bad losses" that everyone was pointing to when debating who should be playing last night were Oregon St and Ole Miss. Neither of which really seem all that bad now.

Interesting that the two "bad losses" that everyone was pointing to when debating who should be playing last night were Oregon St and Ole Miss. Neither of which really seem all that bad now.

werd - just speaks volumes to how long the season really is and how much teams can improve or not.......

I mean, the biggest surprise to me still from the bowls is the way Utah dominated Bama......... that a team from the little old MWC can go into SEC country and beat up a physical SEC team? wow - happy to see they received 16 first place votes in the AP - well done.

and we saw with the NYG beating NE - this is football and anything can happen but we are stuck with the BCS mess- really too bad.

Notes: The BCS title game next year will be played at the Rose Bowl. ... Oklahoma opens the 2009 season against BYU in the Dallas Cowboys' new $1 billion-plus stadium. Florida starts off at home vs. Charleston Southern.

Big-time defense of the crown there. National Chumps indeed.

werd - just speaks volumes to how long the season really is and how much teams can improve or not.......

I mean, the biggest surprise to me still from the bowls is the way Utah dominated Bama......... that a team from the little old MWC can go into SEC country and beat up a physical SEC team? wow - happy to see they received 16 first place votes in the AP - well done.

and we saw with the NYG beating NE - this is football and anything can happen but we are stuck with the BCS mess- really too bad.

My personal order of surprises in bowl games

Ole Miss dominating Texas Tech

LSU dominating Georgia Tech

Utah dominating Bama

Vandy 1st bowl victory since 1955 ending BC's 8 bowl win streak

Both were worse than a loss to a 2 loss Texas Tech.

Notes: The BCS title game next year will be played at the Rose Bowl. ... Oklahoma opens the 2009 season against BYU in the Dallas Cowboys' new $1 billion-plus stadium. Florida starts off at home vs. Charleston Southern.

There's speculation going around the SEC that in 2010 Bama may play USC in the Dallas Cowboys' new $1 billion-plus stadium. :wacko:

While I agree that losing their offensive lineman did affect Bama on offense but did you really see the game? Utah owned Alabama all night on both sides of the ball. Alabama loses that game with Anthony Munoz at left tackle.

As far as Murray's concerned ..... I thought Brown filled in more than admirably. He had a great game. IMO, the loss of a top running back is one of the easiest to hide.

Look Im not making any excuses here, the team that executed when it mattered most won. But its ignorance like this that pisses me off. And more proof this tool is completely clueless.

So does FLA win that game without Percy Harvin? I think not.

Edited by Sgt Ryan

well, considering Oregon St ended up a 9 win team that had Utah on the ropes @Utah and finished the season ranked #18 in the country,

certainly not the worst loss ever.........

OK.....but at the time, Oregon St was unranked. And USC had just come off a HUGH win over OSU and had basically been anointed by the talking heads as "unbeatable". No matter how they finished up, I still find it amazing they could climb back into the top 5 so quickly during the season.

If we are talking about all one loss teams before the bowls......USC's was the worse loss. By far.

Oregon State made that win a springboard to take on the rest of the Pac10, but still lost to Utah the following week and drop back out of the AP 25. And come on.....3-0 in their bowl game over Pitt? Not exactly a powerhouse showing......lol.

The rest beat each other up while sitting in the top 10 (most often in the top 5).

If Ole Miss wasn't such a flaky team.....they'd have a right to brag a bit here, beating FLA and LSU (damn near took out Alabama) during the season and beating up on Texas Tech in the bowl. But you just can't do this AND lose to Vandy and Wake during the season. :D

I also think Utah has a legitimate gripe here. I don't care WHO you play during the year, going 13-0 has some VERY long odds. TCU, BYU and Alabama were all very good teams. Too bad Mich sucked so bad this year or that would have been a good win too. :D

And Sarge.......about your Yardage comparisons for the Texas game. Glad you are happy Texas racked up 492 yards against us (only 72 on the ground, I might add).....but those 492 yards equalled only 24 points against us. The 438 yards they gained in YOUR game equalled 45 points.

BIG difference. :D

And aside from being annoying, I think all that sideline play calling, stop/start, reset BS hurt you guys in the game last night. I like Bradford, but if he stays next year, they should just teach him to read defenses for himself, send in 2 or 3 plays and let him take more on his shoulders in calling the offense. I'm sure he's smart enough to do that. He's quite capable of changing the rhythms up in the game all by himself. :D

Anyway.....my top 5 would be:

1. Florida

2. Utah

3. Texas

4. USC

5. Oklahoma

Honestly I think Texas playing OSU so close (and having to play OSU at all) hurts them in the standings. Our 3 losses are to teams now (and at the time) in the top 10. But I have no illusions.....OSU never gelled this year. One game stands out as the best we looked all year.....Mich St. All that talent and no real direction or fire. Disappointing to say the least.

We had 3 REALLY good WRs (and a freshman in the wings), but no one could get them the ball. Boeckman is a pretty good pure passer.....but our OLine truly sucked this year. You can see now why Pryor got the starting job early on. He had to run for his life half the time. (I honestly thought they'd work on his passing in prep for TX.....guess they went a different route. :wacko: ) When Beanie is in there and breaking it, that's ALL him. I wish him great success in the NFL.....but his nagging injuries would worry me if I was a HC on draft day. And if someone drafts Alex Boone.....they are going to end up kicking themselves in the ass for that choice. Self-appointed mouth of the team is the WORST OL I've seen in a long time here. I can't wait for Mike Adams to get healthy and start his sophomore season in his place!

We really miss Dantonio. If Tressel doesn't replace a couple coaches here...he's going to find his seat being pretty hot next year. I do love him to death.....but the fans are NOT going to settle for same ole, same ole.....our OLine should rival the best in the country...and we have the personnel to open up the offense. Tressel-ball of field position and settling for FGs is going to get him fired if he doesn't watch it. If we don't beat USC here next year......they'll be hell to pay.

And there should be NO BYE weeks in the Big10 schedule, fer cripes sakes. Only to end your season in the third week of November.....so you can wait around 45-50 days to be in a bowl game. :D Criminy! In these economic times, I can't be too upset about the program scheduling the likes of Miami of Ohio, Ohio U or Youngstown St to be able to get some bigtime money into those programs.....but it doesn't help us in either prepping for the rest of our schedule.....or in the national spotlight. Maybe just one of those teams a year......LOL.

But I'm more disappointed in Penn St. That was a truly terrific team that came out flat in 2 games and couldn't turn them around. Disappointing.

But I'm going to really enjoy watching Rich Rod ruin the Michigan program over the next few years. Between him and Weiss, I'm not sure who will bring me more smiles in 2009. :smash:

Just my year end ramblings. Jam packed season.....really fun to watch! See you guys in August! :D

I dont feel like going back and quoting the guys that were mentioned as good as Tebow as a college QB (lazy). But none of them won 2 NC's and a Heisman. I would think the only other name I would consider in Tebows class (in my lifetime) would be Young. But he really only had one amazing season. I am not saying he wasnt very good other years, but only one amazing season and it was amazing. Tebow has now put 2 together and is only a junior. Hard to argue with that.

I dont feel like going back and quoting the guys that were mentioned as good as Tebow as a college QB (lazy). But none of them won 2 NC's and a Heisman. I would think the only other name I would consider in Tebows class (in my lifetime) would be Young. But he really only had one amazing season. I am not saying he wasnt very good other years, but only one amazing season and it was amazing. Tebow has now put 2 together and is only a junior. Hard to argue with that.

Leinart and Reggie Bush each won 2 titles, a Heisman and played for another title. Bush did it in 3 years. Besides Tebow had very little to do with the 1st title, he wasnt the starter. Last year he lead his team to a 9-4 record.

Tebow is great, but he has so many more weapons around him than Vince Young did. Vince IMO, is the best college QB ever. Vince record in his Sophmore and Junior season was 25-1, a National Title over heavily favored SC, and won the Rose Bowl as a Sophmore. Vince left for the NFL after his Junior year.

Tebow as a Sophmore lost his bowl game to a heavy dog Michigan in a non BCS game. Tebow won a National Title his junior year, but lost at home to Ole Miss. Vince never lost a home game, ever. Tebow lost 2 home games last year.

Vince lead his team to a 13-0 record as a Junior, something Tebow hasnt done.

Vince lead his team to a 12-1 record as a Sophmore, Tebow lost 4 games as a Sophmore with more weapons that Vince had..

Neither was a full time starter as a Freshman.

E2A: Id call 12-1 and a Rose Bowl win an amazing season, as a sophmore. Especially when you are considering a 9-4 season amazing for Tebow.

Edited by Sgt Ryan

Thought Lee Corso's comparison of Tebow to Roger Staubach while at Navy was pretty good.

Look Im not making any excuses here, the team that executed when it mattered most won. But its ignorance like this that pisses me off. And more proof this tool is completely clueless.

So does FLA win that game without Percy Harvin? I think not.

Thought I was on ignore? Hmmm ... that lasted what, 2 days? Stalker :wacko:

I stand by my statement and for YOU, of all people, to say it's ignorant just proves your ignorance.

Thought I was on ignore? Hmmm ... that lasted what, 2 days? Stalker :wacko:

I stand by my statement and for YOU, of all people, to say it's ignorant just proves your ignorance.

LMAO, I dont use the ignore feature. I just choose to ignore trash like you. But here, I got another chance to punk you, and I took it.

You say OU doesnt miss Murray, because a RB is easily replaced. I ask you does FLA win last night without Harvin? And as usual, you fail to answer the question.

So does FLA win last night without Harvin. Im not making excuses for Murray, but I think this question here is legitimate and certainly bunks your theory how easily a RB can be dismissed by you.