[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is it tacky or cool to have

Scooby

ok, so I've been in my house 2 yrs now, built in 1994, every door knob, handle, cabinet pull is oil-rubbed bronze, but in the master bath, I've got gold (brass?) faucets, cabinet pulls/knobs, gold trimmed shower door. I'm needing to replace this shower door now, would like clear glass...on the one hand, I kinda like my gold bathroom, looks like Ceasar's palace, on the other, should I just convert all to oil-rubbed bronze ? Is gold/brass dated or is it making a comeback? What do yall think? Any builders around?

I'm thinking gold is not that cool, but hey, that's just me. If you like it, go for it. However, if you plan on attempting to sell any time soon, I think I'd pass on the gold.

ok, so I've been in my house 2 yrs now, built in 1994, every door knob, handle, cabinet pull is oil-rubbed bronze, but in the master bath, I've got gold (brass?) faucets, cabinet pulls/knobs, gold trimmed shower door. I'm needing to replace this shower door now, would like clear glass...on the one hand, I kinda like my gold bathroom, looks like Ceasar's palace, on the other, should I just convert all to oil-rubbed bronze ? Is gold/brass dated or is it making a comeback? What do yall think? Any builders around?

no fears ...Saddam Hussein had them in his palace :wacko:

:D

It's all personal pref, don't think gold is commonly thought good or bad taste-wise. Personally not a big fan, but as stated above these kind of things come and go a lot as far as what's "hip" or not (anyone else remember hot trends like that dark sort of forest green carpet was, or peach-colored bathrooms before that?). That's why I lean to neutral colors/etc.

Go with what you like. A lot of homes built around that time used the gold fixtures, nowdays it's a bit of a turnoff for people looking to by a house. My wife, who hates the gold, says it makes the house look dated. But if you not planning on selling it, go with what you like because if you ever do decide to sell, what you pick out today, will probably look outdated by the time you sell it.

some pics for clarification:

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/qq228/n...=IMG_1492-1.jpg

notice the diffence gold fixtures on faucets, cabinets, but oil rubbed bronze on door handles, which is same thru out the rest of house

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/qq228/n...nt=IMG_1497.jpg

other view

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/qq228/n...nt=IMG_1500.jpg

that frosted glass shower door I want to replace w/ clear

IMO, brass and gold are out. Basically, the modern look is brushed nickel. I do think it is a little more timeless than brass. Some can make a claim for antique bronze if you are going for the old school look. I've replaced all the brass ceiling fans and light fixtures in my place and would probably change all the doors if we were going to be here longer. That looks like a nice bathroom and if you plan on selling it anytime in the next 5 years or so...I'd suggest taking a look at brushed nickel of some kind. For what its worth I work for a lighting rep agency in the midwest so I'm used to dealing with lighting fixtures (not really residential, we do commercial projects: schools, hospitals, office buildings, etc.) and I know there is a lot less solid brass pendants and such being specified by designers (architects and engineers). GL man, thats much bigger than my current master bath and is actually close to what I would look for in my new place (just put our house on the market last weekend).

The only thing tacky is that the restroom doesn't match the rest of the hardware in the house. I probably wouldn't go to the expense of changing all the fixtures, knobs etc... I would buy some new door hardware for I am guessing are closet doors and the door from your bedroom into the restroom. I'd go as far as changing only 1/2 of the lever on bedroom door so when the door is closed it matches the bathroom on the bathroom side and it matches the rest of the house on the bedroom side.

The only thing tacky is that the restroom doesn't match the rest of the hardware in the house. I probably wouldn't go to the expense of changing all the fixtures, knobs etc... I would buy some new door hardware for I am guessing are closet doors and the door from your bedroom into the restroom. I'd go as far as changing only 1/2 of the lever on bedroom door so when the door is closed it matches the bathroom on the bathroom side and it matches the rest of the house on the bedroom side.

that's a very good idea, thnx for the tip