[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

anybody from Oregon?

SLAYER

Just looking for some info on the job market there.

Slayer,

Leah and I have been looking at this as well. We are both making too much money here to make the move up to now! Maybe a roomate would change our mind on this. The crime here is something I would not mind reading about from a distance and hope for a change. I know that my one voice will not stop this mess!

I've heard incredible things about Portland. If I hadn't moved to Austin, Portland would have been a distinct possibility. I have friends there that absolutely love it. Of course, you hear similar things about Denver, Nashville, and you'll hear it from me and others about Austin. There's something to be said about a "good vibe" in a city, and it often finds links in outdoor activities, music and smart planning. Don't wanna nerd out on you and go into detail about smart/sustainable planning but I very well could if you wanted me to. :D

All that said, Slayer and tbimm, if you want any info on Austin, please let me know. I'm assuming you both still have family in Nawlins and Austin is a short 8 hour jaunt. Feel free to PM me (and/or ABWF) for more information. I'd be happy to provide information and serve as your tour guide if you ever wanted to check it out. The job market (despite me having some issues finding clients/work) is actually still pretty good here.

Good luck - to the both of you - with whatever you decide. We're here to help you through it! :wacko:

I'm in Portland. What type of work?

I have no "field" of work. what I was trained in is not an option. for the last 15 yrs I have done various jobs and with training I can learn just about anything.

Slayer,

Leah and I have been looking at this as well. We are both making too much money here to make the move up to now! Maybe a roomate would change our mind on this. The crime here is something I would not mind reading about from a distance and hope for a change. I know that my one voice will not stop this mess!

we will have to get together and discuss this. just now starting to look into this option.

Edited by SLAYER

I have no "field" of work. what I was trained in is not an option. for the last 15 yrs I have done various jobs and with training I can learn just about anything.

we will have to get together and discuss this. just now starting to look into this option.

I like the cities along the Willamette. Greener and milder climate too. Corvallis, Salem, Eugene, cities in the south(Medford/Ashland) are nice too. Portland's just OK. I like smaller cities.

Thinking about moving back to Eugene.

Ya talking about national or the state of Oregon?

The state.

And not to give you a false impression... the latest numbers I just now found (Nov 2008) give the rate as 8.1 compared to 5.3 for Lousiana. However, the drop in the rate came because of state gov jobs and not private sector.

Were I to be looking for work in Oregon I would probably look at Salem before I looked at Portland.

Slayer,

I haven't been to NO in 10 years, you read and hear stories, but

I am curious Tbimm- how bad is the crime?

Born and raised in Seattle, so Portland has always been kind of our red-headed step child BUT it has changed alot and is definitely a vibrant, up and coming city and not a bad place to move to at all.

I am in the staffing industry and we have a couple clients in Pdx - and there are a lot of skilled technical folks relocating there from So/No Cal b/c of the better COL and way of life - and a nice steady growth of good opportunities, so it all depends on what you do......

if you are into meth or heroin -Portland is the place for you - couldn't resist...........

I wouldn't read too much into the unemployment rate, I am sure there are better opportunities there than in NO.

Personally, I would only look at Portland and NOT Salem/Eugene

I lived in Eugene for three years, but that was 20 years ago. It wasn't a bad place then. It's kind of an interesting place, with the city and the surrounding smaller communities being quite a bit different. We lived a rural area just north of Eugene, that was really nice. From my experience, Eugene was pretty liberal, with the outlying areas more conservative. Pretty mild climate, and as you would expect it rains plenty there. The summers were really nice.

I've lived all over (NoDak, SoDak, all over the Seattle area, Pitt, New Orleans, London, Atlanta...) but have spent more time in Seattle than anywhere else. Worked downtown for a number of years...there's no doubt that its a great city. After living in Portland for the past 3 years, I'll take it over Seattle all day long. Part of that stems from the fact that I just spent too much time on the highways commuting in Seattle. In Portland, everything is close. 8 minutes from our house to my downtown office. 25 minutes to the airport (which is about as far as you can go and still be considered in Portland for us). 50 miles to ski on Hood. 60 miles to the coast. Good music scene. The food scene is amazing. Wineries and microbreweries all over the place (Deschutes, Widmer, Rogue, Full Sail...). The weather difference between Portland and Seattle is huge as well. We may get just as much rain per year as Seattle (both of which are far less than in NOLA), but being right on the river, everything moves through quickly. Don't like the weather? Wait 10 minutes. We get a lot more days with sun.

Without looking into specifics, I'm sure the unemployment rate is up in PDX, but I'd be surprised if its out of line with anywhere else in the country right now. Intel has a large operation here. crappy shoes from spammers is headquartered here. Adidas-US is headquartered here.

I like the cities along the Willamette. Greener and milder climate too. Corvallis, Salem, Eugene, cities in the south(Medford/Ashland) are nice too. Portland's just OK. I like smaller cities.

Thinking about moving back to Eugene.

I lived in OR for a couple of years 20 years ago - really loved Eugene. Ashland is a cool town if you can handle the serious ghey vibe. Lithia Park is awesome.

Can't speak to the job market there. Lots of the smaller towns were pretty depressed economically with the down turn in the logging industry. You'll never meet more people missing fingers and thumbs. Seriously.

I haven't been to NO in 10 years, you read and hear stories, but

I am curious Tbimm- how bad is the crime?

It has recently become MUCH worse and is starting to hit a lot closer to home. 15 year old kids gunned down a friend of ours just last weekend and another friend was carjacked by a 15 and 16 year old but they couldn't drive a standard shift so just robbed her at gun point and ran away. Another armed robbery just a block down from my house. This is a very quiet neighborhood so it is getting out of control.

I lived in Eugene for three years, but that was 20 years ago. It wasn't a bad place then. It's kind of an interesting place, with the city and the surrounding smaller communities being quite a bit different. We lived a rural area just north of Eugene, that was really nice. From my experience, Eugene was pretty liberal, with the outlying areas more conservative. Pretty mild climate, and as you would expect it rains plenty there. The summers were really nice.

I did an environmental insurance overview job walk at a pulp mill in Halsey Oregon a few months back. That had to be near your old neighborhood.

I've lived all over (NoDak, SoDak, all over the Seattle area, Pitt, New Orleans, London, Atlanta...) but have spent more time in Seattle than anywhere else. Worked downtown for a number of years...there's no doubt that its a great city. After living in Portland for the past 3 years, I'll take it over Seattle all day long. Part of that stems from the fact that I just spent too much time on the highways commuting in Seattle. In Portland, everything is close. 8 minutes from our house to my downtown office. 25 minutes to the airport (which is about as far as you can go and still be considered in Portland for us). 50 miles to ski on Hood. 60 miles to the coast. Good music scene. The food scene is amazing. Wineries and microbreweries all over the place (Deschutes, Widmer, Rogue, Full Sail...). The weather difference between Portland and Seattle is huge as well. We may get just as much rain per year as Seattle (both of which are far less than in NOLA), but being right on the river, everything moves through quickly. Don't like the weather? Wait 10 minutes. We get a lot more days with sun.

Without looking into specifics, I'm sure the unemployment rate is up in PDX, but I'd be surprised if its out of line with anywhere else in the country right now. Intel has a large operation here. crappy shoes from spammers is headquartered here. Adidas-US is headquartered here.

Anybody up there looking for a good mechanic? I mean a good honest mechanic!