[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need a big car ... maybe ...

muck

We're expecting our fourth kid in about six weeks. My wife's minivan isn't getting any younger (155,000 miles).

We would like to have something that seats and least seven (and preferrably eight so that my wife, kids and I could go together somewhere with my folks).

So far, we've looked at (in no particular order):

Chevy Suburban

Nissan Armada

Mercedes GL

...what else should we be looking at...and does anyone have any experience with any of these vehicles (good or bad)?

I have a 2003 Chevy suburban and haven't had any real problems.

Only prob so far is the driver window rolls up real slow for about a year.

No mechanical issues. Seats 8 pretty good and has good storage in the back.

I wouldn't get the split back door as it sort of blocks your view backing up.

I have the lift up in the back and that works well.

either a full size van or another minivan. I doubt you will fit 8 more comfortably in a big SUV than in a minivan.

I've got the short version of the Suburban - the Tahoe. It's way more comforable than our minivan, primarily because the seats are much more substantial.

Minivans are a lot less thirsty than big SUVs, if that's a concern.

Wife would probably prefer another minivan over a full sized van...fwiw...

Once your family gets to the point you can have a basketball scrimmage, you may have to ditch your preferences in favor of your needs.

We're expecting our fourth kid in about six weeks. My wife's minivan isn't getting any younger (155,000 miles).

We would like to have something that seats and least seven (and preferrably eight so that my wife, kids and I could go together somewhere with my folks).

Chevy Suburban

Nissan Armada

Mercedes GL

...what else should we be looking at...and does anyone have any experience with any of these vehicles (good or bad)?

In the interest of clarity, you do not need a car.

The only other vehicle you might consider is a Ford Expedition EL. My wife currently drives a GMC Yukon XL which is the same as the Suburban. It is nice. The car before that was a Ford Expedition. We were very happy with the Expedition, and had no problems. We primarily bought the Yukon over the Expedition because at the time I could get the options she wanted cheaper in the Yukon. Had I waited a month or two I might have ended up with the Expedition, as the companies are always changing their deals.

Chevy Suburban

Nissan Armada

Mercedes GL

birth control.

A quick shout out here in support of the minivan, unless you're intending to tow something substantial. Minivans are more versatile as long as nothing too heavy is involved, IMO. Stow and go seating is a hugh plus option.

Caveat: I think most minivans seat seven rather than eight. For eight, a full size bench seat in the middle will be needed.

you owe it to yourself to at least look at the Honda Odyssey.

...that's what we have now... A 'top of the line' 2000 model (which we bought used).

The thing is SO loud that we have to yell at each other just to carry on a conversation.

...maybe the sound barriers are better now than they used to be...frankly, that's the biggest reason we're thinking of changing...

Personally, I'm inclined to say "drive it until it dies" ... but with my wife and four kids in it when it does die, that would be a REALLY bad day / event. Maybe I'm over thinking it, though...

my friend has a Chrysler Town & Country, which he swears by, it has a table for the kids; my hubby recently bought an '08 Yukon XL, they were practically giving them away, only seats 7, though, and the 3rd row seats aren't very comfy, IMO...other than that, it's great; I'd also shy away fom the Armada, my sis has the Infinit QX 45 (made by Nissan, as you know) , luxurious, but has had major problems, somewhat of a lemon, like the brakes needed to be replaced after only 6 months