[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your quick/random thoughts/recap on the SB

BeeR

For me:

- Great, fun game to watch. Not caring too much who won probably helped but still...

- Hell of a catch by Holmes to ice it.

- Also hell of a catch by Fitz for that first TD. I predicted he would be shut down except for maybe a meaningless TD at the end :wacko: (hey I was right at half time anyway)

- Like probably almost everyone I can't believe Warner threw that pass that Harrison took for the TD. When they got down there I was going "just play it safe and worst case take the FG, DON'T turn it over of all things..." d'oh

- Refs mostly did well except for that horrible calls on AZ for the pass INT on Dansby (also roughing kicker call when the guy's momentum carried him into the holder, although that one not as glaring)

half-time side notes:

- Commercials mostly average/overrated as usual (in fact the repetitive screaming Bridgestone one is maybe the worst commercial ever. What crack addict came up w/that idea)

- Springsteen couldn't sing to save his life. Either he had a major off night or needs to retire.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Santonio Holmes certainly stepped up but I was rather annoyed by his 1st down celebrations during 2 minute drills. Dude, hand the ball to the official and line up. I recall it happened twice on that last drive.

FWIW, I'm not normally inclined to complain about dudes showboating. I actually think it's fun to watch. But I recall thinking, "Dude, maybe you need to line up?"

I was thinking "dude, maybe you need to grow up?" He's an ahole, like all the other circus clowns. And he was a good MVP choice but Harrison IMO deserved it more.

So you must have missed his "ahole, dude you need to grow up" moment?

I think it was a great game overall. Cards would have won this game, most likely, had Harrison not had the int for a TD at the half. Holmes had a hugh game. Ward was hurting and it was pretty obvious. Ward is a big difference maker so Holmes did pick a good time to put on his A game.

MVP vote could have gone three ways for me and I am still torn. I am not unhappy that Holmes got it and I think he very much deserves it but I think that Big Ben played one hell of a game and maybe should have gotten it. Harrison also could have won it and I would not have been unhappy with that at all.

Overall, I think this game was a great game that I won't mind watching a few more times. The Cards were very classy in their loss. I have a lot of respect for Warner and Wisenhunt. In a crazy peice of my heart I would not have minded the Cards winning this one. I mean I wanted the Steelers to win for sure but if they were to lose a SB this would have been the one that would not have bothered me at all.

Despite somewhat questionable officiating, it was an incredible, amazing game. Reminded me a lot of the UT/Texas Tech game. UT was behind most of the game, came back late... but left too much time on the clock. Not gonna compare Pittsburgh's offense to Texas Tech's.... but the result is similar.

Fixed

He is truly an elite QB...no more heckling from me...ever.

He looked shaky at times. The Cardinals just couldn't tackle him.

At the end of the game those 2 passes to Holmes were just about perfect. He and Holmes stepped up big at the right time. He looked elite when it mattered. Holmes, Roethlisberger or Harrison could have been the MVP in my opinion.

Despite somewhat questionable officiating, it was an incredible, amazing game. Reminded me a lot of the UT/Texas Tech game. UT was behind most of the game, came back late... but left too much time on the clock. Not gonna compare Pittsburgh's offense to Texas Tech's.... but the result is similar.

dude- enough UT/Austin nut-hugging, we get it. Your slowly turning into the Menudo of Austin :wacko:

for me - I don't have a problem with the officiating - it ended up not giving Pitt an advantage

The play that affected the game the most was Harrison's 100 yd Pick 6 - THAT WAS THE PLAY

oh and AZ nickel package and especially Francisco SUCKS

He looked shaky at times. The Cardinals just couldn't tackle him.

At the end of the game those 2 passes to Holmes were just about perfect. He and Holmes stepped up big at the right time. He looked elite when it mattered. Holmes, Roethlisberger or Harrison could have been the MVP in my opinion.

His shaky look is what makes him what he is. I mean he gets a bad rap for holding the ball and often that makes his O-Line look horrible but he makes as many incredible plays that way as anyone that I have ever seen.

I mean you don't think they call a play, scramble right, scramble left, shake a defender that is on your knee, then turn around and hit the open guy do you?

His shaky look is what makes him what he is. I mean he gets a bad rap for holding the ball and often that makes his O-Line look horrible but he makes as many incredible plays that way as anyone that I have ever seen.

I mean you don't think they call a play, scramble right, scramble left, shake a defender that is on your knee, then turn around and hit the open guy do you?

Favre looked like the Keystone Cops and made last second plays too. I see your point.

I enjoyed the game, but I think once a little time passes, people will remember this game for what it really was: a very sloppy game for 3 quarters before finishing up with one of the best final 8 minutes in Super bowl History.

As for smaller matters, the commercials were mostly weak with small spots and repeat ads. I think I will remember this year as the year that killed the whole "Superbowl Ad" reviews and talk. That is clearly a thing of the past now. As funny as the Cash for Gold commercial was, it was equally sad as both those guys DID have to sell all their stuff for cash. And really... it's CASH 4 GOLD... in a Super Bowl Ad...

But mostly, the Cardinals played extremely well, proving they earned their place in that game and should shut people up. The Steelers really stepped up and never played bad, but that game and especially final drive is (more than anything) Ben's defining moment as a QB. No more talk about how poor-mediocre he played in the first game. He cemented that he is NFL elite, one of best in league easily who proved it in a huge game.

I enjoyed the game, but I think once a little time passes, people will remember this game for what it really was: a very sloppy game for 3 quarters before finishing up with one of the best final 8 minutes in Super bowl History.

Agree.

And IMO Warner is being well overrated in this game (and in general) by many, and I don't just mean because of the INT. Not saying he "sucked" but he was off on a lot of passes (some which the WRs snared anyway). It's not like he was threading the needle all day long, and offhand I don't recall one single long pass he made, although might be forgetting (ie the passes that went for big yds were largely YAC). Most of what I recall he either hit guys who were wide open or the WR was the one really making the play. Also I can't believe he didn't make sure to get that last pass off.

As for smaller matters, the commercials were mostly weak with small spots and repeat ads. I think I will remember this year as the year that killed the whole "Superbowl Ad" reviews and talk. That is clearly a thing of the past now.

Dreamer. It's a nice dream though. (This is what I generally hated about SB parties, people laughing at a lot at commercials no matter how lame)

Edited by BeeR

good game, but I am sick of the steelers winning super bowls they get convincingly outplayed in with the help of luck and favorable officiating. phenomenal catch by holmes to go ahead late. overall great games by both QBs IMO.

springsteen sucked.

helluva hangover eh

Overall, I think this game was a great game that I won't mind watching a few more times. The Cards were very classy in their loss. I have a lot of respect for Warner and Wisenhunt. In a crazy peice of my heart I would not have minded the Cards winning this one. I mean I wanted the Steelers to win for sure but if they were to lose a SB this would have been the one that would not have bothered me at all.

I couldn't have said this better myself.

And I actually thought Springsteen was ok. I love his older music and am really not a fan of his newer stuff. I was thinking of a song that I wished he'd play but I doubted very much he would do it. But to start off with Tenth Avenue Freezeout, was awesome. It was the song I wanted so I was fairly happy.

Agree.

And IMO Warner is being well overrated in this game (and in general) by many, and I don't just mean because of the INT. Not saying he "sucked" but he was off on a lot of passes (some which the WRs snared anyway). It's not like he was threading the needle all day long, and offhand I don't recall one single long pass he made, although might be forgetting (ie the passes that went for big yds were largely YAC). Most of what I recall he either hit guys who were wide open or the WR was the one really making the play. Also I can't believe he didn't make sure to get that last pass off.

Dreamer. It's a nice dream though. (This is what I generally hated about SB parties, people laughing at a lot at commercials no matter how lame)

Look at your middle paragraph. I say WHAT!!!! Did you watch the game. Pitt was in a cover 2 that prevents long pass plays....and their front line is so good it prevents having time for them to develop. Warner took what was given to him and maximized...period. By your own standards, Joe Montana was overrated because he hardly ever threw the long ball....his receiver were YAC monsters though.

Look at your middle paragraph. I say WHAT!!!! Did you watch the game. Pitt was in a cover 2 that prevents long pass plays....and their front line is so good it prevents having time for them to develop. Warner took what was given to him and maximized...period. By your own standards, Joe Montana was overrated because he hardly ever threw the long ball....his receiver were YAC monsters though.

I'm not saying he didn't have a good game overall, only that people act like he had this amazing game, which he didn't. PS not saying him not going long is a slam on him (was hardly a surprise that PIT focused on taking that away), but when you mostly complete short passes to mostly wide-open guys, sometimes almost even missing those, and throw a horrible pick which is the diff in the game, sorry I don't say you had an amazing game.

And I actually thought Springsteen was ok. I love his older music and am really not a fan of his newer stuff. I was thinking of a song that I wished he'd play but I doubted very much he would do it. But to start off with Tenth Avenue Freezeout, was awesome. It was the song I wanted so I was fairly happy.

I was amazed he opened w/that song, or played it at all and was very happily surprised he didn't do "Born in the USA" (which I expected he'd change the lyrics from "gone to kill the yellow man" to "gone to kill the arab man" or some such).

However his singing was horrifically bad. He's become like this washed up caricature of himself. yecch.

Edited by BeeR

I'm not saying he didn't have a good game overall, only that people act like he had this amazing game, which he didn't. PS not saying him not going long is a slam on him (was hardly a surprise that PIT focused on taking that away), but when you mostly complete short passes to mostly wide-open guys, sometimes almost even missing those, and throw a horrible pick which is the diff in the game, sorry I don't say you had an amazing game.

I was amazed he opened w/that song, or played it at all and was very happily surprised he didn't do "Born in the USA" (which I expected he'd change the lyrics from "gone to kill the yellow man" to "gone to kill the arab man" or some such).

However his singing was horrifically bad. He's become like this washed up caricature of himself. yecch.

I can live with that....but the pick wasn't horrible...in Kurt's mind Harrison was rushing. It was a good call by the steelers. it was a look he wasn't expecting and therefore he made a mistake...if anything, Boldin needs to help his quarterback more by breaking up the pass so Harrison can't go all the way. With that said, I think Warner play to a B+....wasn't an A because of the pick 6