[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your quick/random thoughts/recap on the SB

BeeR

And I actually thought Springsteen was ok. I love his older music and am really not a fan of his newer stuff. I was thinking of a song that I wished he'd play but I doubted very much he would do it. But to start off with Tenth Avenue Freezeout, was awesome. It was the song I wanted so I was fairly happy.

admit it, you just loved it when he crotch-rammed the camera :wacko:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brief thoughts:

If Arizona had even a vague idea how to tackle, they win this game easily. Harrison doesn't score on the run back and Ben is sacked at least three times on the final drive, any one of which kills Pittsburgh off for good.

Harrison should have been ejected.

Holmes is a lazy POS who only bothers in high profile games.

Gary Russell, U of Minnesota reject, is the luckiest man on the planet.

Springsteen was dreadful, a parody of his previous self

ETA: And the Hudson woman doing the National Anthem set a new record for duration.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Brief thoughts:

If Arizona had even a vague idea how to tackle, they win this game easily. Harrison doesn't score on the run back and Ben is sacked at least three times on the final drive, any one of which kills Pittsburgh off for good.

Harrison should have been ejected.

Holmes is a lazy POS who only bothers in high profile games.

Gary Russell, U of Minnesota reject, is the luckiest man on the planet.

Springsteen was dreadful, a parody of his previous self

ETA: And the Hudson woman doing the National Anthem set a new record for duration.

Let it all out. It is good for you to get it out of you. One thing that you said that I agree with, well two, is that Gary Russell is in the right place at the right time and Sprinsteen sucked.

oh and that crop of ads was the worst for any super bowl I can remember. I can only think of 2 or 3 that were even a little bit funny. the ad men certainly didn't bring their A-game.

werd - brutal-

I thought none of them were particularly funny or original and most were flat out lame

Let it all out. It is good for you to get it out of you. One thing that you said that I agree with, well two, is that Gary Russell is in the right place at the right time and Sprinsteen sucked.

Since #1 and #2 are pretty much indisputable and you agree with #4 and #5, that only leaves the Holmes thing as up for discussion then? :wacko:

You didn't mute it before it even started? Seriously?

I thought none of them were particularly funny or original and most were flat out lame

Implying this is something new? I've hated the hype and most of the commercials for years have been at best hideously overrated and often just plain lame.

... but when you mostly complete short passes to mostly wide-open guys, sometimes almost even missing those, and throw a horrible pick which is the diff in the game, sorry I don't say you had an amazing game.

You make it sound like it was easy to dropback 43 times, complete 72% of your passes with 3 TDs, and only 1 pick against the 2008 Steelers defense.

A defense that allowed opposing QBs a 63.4 rating. A defense that allowed 12 pass TDs in 16 games. A defense that was tops in the league in negative pass plays. A defense that was tops in the league in 3rd down conversion. A defense that sacked the QB 51 times in 16 games. A defense that was best in the league in points allowed (13.9). A defense that doesn't allow the option of running the ball much either.

Yep, pretty much any idiot can put up 377/3/1 on that wasteland of a defense.

:wacko:

Yeah the pick turned out to be pretty devastating but the Steelers were going to get at least one. I don't care if God himself came down to play QB for the Cards. It was just unlucky, for the Cards, that it was in the redzone. And doubly so that it was returned a full 100 yards for a score.

Edited by kingfish247

admit it, you just loved it when he crotch-rammed the camera :wacko:

:divingboard:

Seriously, I went to see him way back on the Born In The USA tour in Miami. That was one of the most overrated albums of all time IMO. I couldn't stand the title song and am damn glad he didn't decide to continue to burn us out on that weak number. After watching that tour, I was never really a fan again. Love his first few albums though. Born To Run is a classic.

Despite somewhat questionable officiating, it was an incredible, amazing game. Reminded me a lot of the UT/Texas Tech game. UT was behind most of the game, came back late... but left too much time on the clock. Not gonna compare Pittsburgh's offense to Texas Tech's.... but the result is similar.

You are being too generous, questionable officiatiing?!?!

Officials are supposed to be invisible during a game. Of course they are supposed to call penalties but they are not supposed to influence the flow and/or outcome of the game.

18 Accepted penalties is just outrageous, especially when there is a long list of calls that were questionable at best. Then depsite the officials having played WAY to big of a part in the game, they fail to review the one play that ended the game. Now I will be the first to say, it probably wouldnot have been overturned but in a 4 point superbowl contest, with the losing team driving, how do they not review that last play by arizona?

I am not making excuses, Arizona put themselves into position to win the game, they just needed a defensive stop and could not step up whent hey needed it the most but I simply hate to see the officials become so involved in a game.

And as many calls as they did make, how do they miss Holmes using the ball as a prop after his TD, an automatic 15 yd penalty. The officiating was awful.

I hadn't seen a thread on this but I believe it was discussed in another thread. I know it's over a week old but I was watching several replays on the NFL Network of the final Santonio Holmes TD and I don't think he got his right foot down. I had heard some sports radio guys talking about this and thought, ah, they're just trying to create extra drama but I think they may be right. Anyone else see this? I don't think his right foot ever hit the ground before he touched out of bounds as it was resting on his left foot. I know it doesn't matter now but I just happened to see several pretty good replays and thought I'd add this.

I hadn't seen a thread on this but I believe it was discussed in another thread. I know it's over a week old but I was watching several replays on the NFL Network of the final Santonio Holmes TD and I don't think he got his right foot down. I had heard some sports radio guys talking about this and thought, ah, they're just trying to create extra drama but I think they may be right. Anyone else see this? I don't think his right foot ever hit the ground before he touched out of bounds as it was resting on his left foot. I know it doesn't matter now but I just happened to see several pretty good replays and thought I'd add this.

Yes, it was down. There's a picture out there somewhere.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

Yes, it was down. There's a picture out there somewhere.

I'll take your word for it. Maybe the replays I saw were at a bad angle then. I mean they looked darn good and had me scratching my head. I'd love to see that picture. I'll have to research it.

:wacko:

That's great stuff! Awesome picture and that's a way better angle than the ones shown on NFL Net. Thanks for sharing the link, CaP.

Edited by irish

I'll take your word for it. Maybe the replays I saw were at a bad angle then. I mean they looked darn good and had me scratching my head. I'd love to see that picture. I'll have to research it.

I thought NBC did a pretty good job of freeze-framing the catch. There are quite a few pix out there that show his right foot off the ground against his left foot as he's falling out of bounds. But before he starts falling out of bounds, the right toe is on the ground then it lifts up onto his left foot as he starts falling out of bounds. He already had control when his right toe scraped the ground. Holmes even said(not that we're taking his word for it) that he never left the ground to catch the ball. He just reached up on his tippy toes and grabbed it.

The thing to remember is that there has to be conclusive visual evidence to overturn a call made on the field. The call on the field was TD, you have to be able to see conclusively, that he did not get his foot down to overturn that call, seeing a replay that causes you to "think" he did not get his foot down is not enough to overturn the call.

I thought NBC did a pretty good job of freeze-framing the catch. There are quite a few pix out there that show his right foot off the ground against his left foot as he's falling out of bounds. But before he starts falling out of bounds, the right toe is on the ground then it lifts up onto his left foot as he starts falling out of bounds. He already had control when his right toe scraped the ground. Holmes even said(not that we're taking his word for it) that he never left the ground to catch the ball. He just reached up on his tippy toes and grabbed it.

Yeah, after seeing the picture CaP posted, it's easy to see that it was a catch and a great one at that.

The thing to remember is that there has to be conclusive visual evidence to overturn a call made on the field. The call on the field was TD, you have to be able to see conclusively, that he did not get his foot down to overturn that call, seeing a replay that causes you to "think" he did not get his foot down is not enough to overturn the call.

Excellent point. The call on the field is always very critical when it comes to challenges.

I'll remember the game as being "just OK" until the last 10 minutes of the game, where it became pretty dramatic.

The turning point was Harrison's pick 6.

Warner got the blame for that turning point play when the blame should have went directly to Quan. If you watch the replay Boldin ran a horrible route and didn't square off his route as he should have allowing Harrison to pick it off. Anquan catches the ball and probably scores if he squares off his route.

I thought that the officials game calling allowed for them to again become more a part of the game then they should have.

The non-review at the end of the game magnified some of the other questionable calls.

Cardinals seemed to outplay the Steelers for 2/3 of the game but the Steelers earned the victory with the last drive.

Roethlisberger probably deserved the MVP but for anyone to say he belongs in the Elite QB status is :wacko:

Roethlisberger probably deserved the MVP but for anyone to say he belongs in the Elite QB status is :wacko:

It depends. If you define Elite QB Status as Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, then yes, he doesn't belong in that group. However, other than those two, there is not a QB I would rather have leading my team. I know others put up better stats, but, Roethlisberger is a winner. He has two Super Bowl wins in 5 years, and has come through over and very again in the clutch. His improvisational ability is the best in the league, and he has become a legit play-making threat. The comments from opposing coaches and players definitely show the respect he has earned around the league.

He has two Super Bowl wins in 5 years,

No, the Steelers have 2 SB wins in 5 years. No single guy has ever won a SB. It's not like he carried them on his back.

Anyway here's a little side note. I got the fake or wrong version (rumour) 3 times around the time of the SB so just FWIW and in case anyone is interested - yeah I know I'll hold my breath. Hey it's off-season.

The Story of St. Louis Ram's Quarterback Kurt Warner meeting and marrying his Wife Brenda-Truth vs Fiction:

Summary of Rumor:

Kurtis, a stock boy, meets and falls instantly in love with Brenda, a cashier at the supermarket where they both work. He asks her out, and she resists, saying she's got 2 kids and no money for a babysitter. Kurtis offers to pay for the sitter, so she accepts. Kurtis meets the children, one of whom is a boy in a wheelchair who has Down Syndrome. At the last minute, the babysitter is not available, and Kurtis offers to take the whole family out for the evening. He's a hit with the kids and they are a hit with him and Brenda decides Kurtis is the man for her. A year later, they are married and Kurtis, the stock boy, is actually Kurt Warner, the quarterback for the St. Louis Rams.

The Truth:

The story of Kurt and Brenda Warner's meeting and marrying is an often-told and inspiring one, but this particular eRumor version of it includes a lot of fiction.They did not meet as fellow employees at a supermarket and their son does not have Down Syndrome.

When they met, Kurt was a university student and Brenda was a divorced single mom living on food stamps. In his autobiography "Keep Your Head Up," Kurt describes his and Brenda's first encounter when a teammate at the University of Northern Iowa talked him into going to a country-music club in Cedar Falls, Iowa. There was an instant connection, but Brenda didn't know whether it would last. Not only was she a single mom, but one of her two children, her son Zachary, had significant medical problems. He was blinded and brain-injured when accidentally dropped to the floor by her first husband. Kurt was not turned aside by the children or Zachary's condition and he and Brenda forged a relationship that resulted in their marrying four years later.

Kurt's celebrated job at a grocery store took place in 1994 after he got a pink-slip from the Green Bay Packers. He returned to Cedar Falls and worked nights stocking shelves for $5.50 an hour.

Most football fans know the rest, more or less: he was signed by the Rams and quickly rose to fame by leading "the greatest show on turf" to a 13-3 record and a memorable victory in Super Bowl XXXIV. After again experiencing a downturn which included injuries, a forgettable stint with NY, and many wondering why he didn't just give up and retire, he re-emerged with the Cards, outplayed and finally won the job from the well-hyped Matt Leinert, and came within a whisker of another title with a team nobody expected to go anywhere in the playoffs. He's become known for his commitment to his family, his clean-cut lifestyle, and his Christian faith. He and Brenda now live in St. Louis with their four children Zachary, Kade, Jesse, and Jada Jo. He is the founder of the First Things First foundation.

I'm OK w/PIT winning but at the same time, too bad AZ couldn't pull it off.