[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

investing in your children

dmarc117

definitely save it for them for their future....like when they turn 30 or 40.

I certainly wish my dad came to me today and said "Here's $100K (+ interest) that i've been saving for you since you were a tot 30 years ago"....linvested conservatively (double every 7 years?), it would likely be well over a million today.

Schooling. My job is to educate them. I don't see me buying them a house or cars once they're grown.

I hope you view your responsibility as a parent to far exceed this low minimal threshhold.

I'm not sure we're sending our kids to college; most jobs / professions simply don't require it. An apprenticeship with some targeted education would work in most vocations. I'm sure that many kids would be FAR better off having mom/dad give them an account that they'd been saving up for them in lieu of forking over tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars on college and weddings.

I hope you view your responsibility as a parent to far exceed this low minimal threshhold.

I'm not going to say what I'll do 30 years from now. But at some point the kids have got to learn how to make it on their own. If they prove that and I have the resources, I'd have no problem funding a venture.

But I've seen parents bankroll their kids into laziness. I've got a friend whose parents did this. They bought him several franchises out of college. He ran all of them into the ground and his parents bailed him out again. He also racked up 10s of thousands in gambling debt and they bailed him out again.

More than likely my kids will take over my business...if they choose to. But they'll have to earn it.

I'm not going to say what I'll do 30 years from now. But at some point the kids have got to learn how to make it on their own. If they prove that and I have the resources, I'd have no problem funding a venture.

But I've seen parents bankroll their kids into laziness. I've got a friend whose parents did this. They bought him several franchises out of college. He ran all of them into the ground and his parents bailed him out again. He also racked up 10s of thousands in gambling debt and they bailed him out again.

More than likely my kids will take over my business...if they choose to. But they'll have to earn it.

Wow, you're friends with George W. Bush?!? :wacko:

we are doing a hybrid. 529 for higher education and have some cash for him when he gets old enough. the current discussion is about grade school. my wife wants to send him to a private school here in the city. those are pricey, very pricey. im not sure the benefits are worth the cost for grade school atleast. i think for high school and college it may matter more, but not grade school.

we are doing a hybrid. 529 for higher education and have some cash for him when he gets old enough. the current discussion is about grade school. my wife wants to send him to a private school here in the city. those are pricey, very pricey. im not sure the benefits are worth the cost for grade school atleast. i think for high school and college it may matter more, but not grade school.

I may have to disagree here. Grade and Middle School lay the foundations of knowledge and study habits that spell success in High School. If you are in an area where the public school is small, and effective, the differences between private and public may be small. However, if you are in an are with "mega-schools" (or poorer small schools), you may want to do some research on the efficacy of the public schools before dismissing private.

We tried schooling my daughters in the best magnet school St. Louis had to offer. (Being a white couple in the city, we were in the minority and got to pick) However, the school did not challenge my children, and when we expressed concern they were not being challenged, we were met with "what is the problem? They are passing with C's and B's" We knew they were capable of better and switched the education environment. Both girls were/are full honors in high school. :wacko:

Edited by cre8tiff

I may have to disagree here. Grade and Middle School lay the foundations of knowledge and study habits that spell success in High School. If you are in an area where the public school is small, and effective, the differences between private and public may be small. However, if you are in an are with "mega-schools" (or poorer small schools), you may want to do some research on the efficacy of the public schools before dismissing private.

i agree, the public schools in the city are garbage. so you are kinda forced to pay up. but some of these schools are outrageous. we have to go for interviews, my son has interviews and tests.......for kindergarten!!! we have looked at schools whose tuition ranges are great. the most expensive definitely have more technology. my view is to move to a burb with a good public school system so we have the choice.

yep, the challenge thing is the problem with those city schools.

Edited by dmarc117

i agree, the public schools in the city are garbage. so you are kinda forced to pay up. but some of these schools are outrageous. we have to go for interviews, my son has interviews and tests.......for kindergarten!!! we have looked at schools whose tuition ranges are great. the most expensive definitely have more technology. my view is to move to a burb with a good public school system so we have the choice.

yep, the challenge thing is the problem with those city schools.

As long as the school is safe, your kid will be fine regardless of where you send him if you are an involved parent. If you aren't involved then he / she would be better off at a high end private school. I would argue that a public school kid with involved parents is better off than a private school kid regardless of whether their parents are involved, because involved parents are going to make sure the kid learns, and the public school system does a better job of making kids ready for the real world and different types of people.

As long as the school is safe, your kid will be fine regardless of where you send him if you are an involved parent. If you aren't involved then he / she would be better off at a high end private school. I would argue that a public school kid with involved parents is better off than a private school kid regardless of whether their parents are involved, because involved parents are going to make sure the kid learns, and the public school system does a better job of making kids ready for the real world and different types of people.

i hear ya. we are very involved. my wife was/is a teacher so she works with our son everyday. he is more advanced than others in his age bracket. our worry is that the public system wont push or challenge him, like cr8 said. all the private schools have 2 instructors in every classroom. so students get the attention and push while at school. a friend of mine is a teacher in the chicago public system, he siad its basically a daycare for most families.