[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

16 team dynasty leagues

CaP'N GRuNGe

Not sure what forum this really belongs in, but thought here was as good as any...

I've been noticing lately that there have been quite a few openings in 16 team dynasty leagues. When I've looked at the rosters they usually seem pretty weak. I've never been a big fan of larger leagues (12 teams to me seems pretty much perfect) but I realize everybody has their preference. Doesn't going with 16 teams, especially in a dynasty format, pretty much guarantee that a handful of teams are going to suck for many years and lead to owners losing interest and dropping out more frequently?

Just a thought I had when I was contemplating whether I had the time, the desire is there of course, in joining another league and maybe a dynasty one at that. I just can't see how much fun that would be. Yes, I know there is the challenge angle to rebuilding a team. But if you start to far in the hole, is it really possible to dig yourself out? Especially in the 16 team format?

Anybody else care to comment? Or just ignore my rambling.

I'm in two dynasty leagues, both 16 teams. One i've been in three years, and this year the player who had previously been bottom of the league for the last two won our superbowl. With large IDP, which this has, I feel there is more talent to spread around and keep the rookie draft interesting. I recently joined another dynasty, a BOTH league, which is just offensive players, and am interested to see how it balances.

Not sure what forum this really belongs in, but thought here was as good as any...

I've been noticing lately that there have been quite a few openings in 16 team dynasty leagues. When I've looked at the rosters they usually seem pretty weak. I've never been a big fan of larger leagues (12 teams to me seems pretty much perfect) but I realize everybody has their preference. Doesn't going with 16 teams, especially in a dynasty format, pretty much guarantee that a handful of teams are going to suck for many years and lead to owners losing interest and dropping out more frequently?

Just a thought I had when I was contemplating whether I had the time, the desire is there of course, in joining another league and maybe a dynasty one at that. I just can't see how much fun that would be. Yes, I know there is the challenge angle to rebuilding a team. But if you start to far in the hole, is it really possible to dig yourself out? Especially in the 16 team format?

Anybody else care to comment? Or just ignore my rambling.

I just took over a team in Another F'n League and it is a true rebuild. I've had very good success at rebuilding (not so much start ups lol) and find it a very fulfilling investment. It is a true undertaking though, usually taking 2-3 years at least, so it might not be for the casual FF player. The player pool knowledge, rookie knowledge and trading skills all have to have an uptick if you want to do this.

And yes it is possible to dig yourself out of a hole if you have the patience.

ETA: Sorry AFL is a 12 teamer so that is a bad example. The other two BoTH leagues are 16 teamers.

Edited by tazinib1

I have taken over 2 teams in 16 team dynasty leagues. One was in somewhat bad shape when I took it over, and the other one was a complete disaster. In both cases the first season in the league was prepaid because of the condition of the team.

In the league where the team was merely in "bad shape", I have reconstructed that team into a playoff team. It was fun.

In the league where the team was a complete disaster, I am still working on it. It was really bad, because the owner sold off the entire future of the team in his last season, knowing that he would be jumping ship and wanting to win some money one last time. I've had it for 2 seasons, and this season upcoming I hope to climb out of the cellar with the large number of draft picks and up and coming players I worked to get in echange for older "help now" talent that competitive teams needed.

Dynasty leagues are more about the journey than the result. I know that sounds hokey, but if you enjoy the work of managing a team, and even more so rebuilding a team then it's fun.

If you are interested...

Fusion Rebuild Part 1

Fusion Rebuild Part 2

Edited by Caveman_Nick

I get the journey thing. I'm in a 12 team dynasty. Just thought at some point if a league reaches a certain size, the challenge would just become too much of an uphill battle. Maybe IDP makes a difference. Never played in one.

IDP Makes a hugh difference. Check out the links I put up :wacko:

You have to have things set up for player movement in a 16 team because talent is spread so thin... although for me player movement is most important in any size league, cause that's what I enjoy, but in a 16 team league you can get really stuck if the rules aren't geared for it, like the original poster assumed.

Dynasty leagues are more about the journey than the result. I know that sounds hokey, but if you enjoy the work of managing a team, and even more so rebuilding a team then it's fun.

Exactly. In fact I took back over a team that I had cut last year in a 32 team league. I went to the playoffs the last year I had it, then the next guy gutted it and quit. So I got the team for free last season and only finished with 2-14 record. However, With the moves I made during that last season and the upcoming draft, I think I have a good shot at finishing with a winning record and even making the playoffs with some luck.

I get the journey thing. I'm in a 12 team dynasty. Just thought at some point if a league reaches a certain size, the challenge would just become too much of an uphill battle. Maybe IDP makes a difference. Never played in one.

I wouldn't necessarily say that you are guaranteed to have constant bottom dwellers in 16 team leagues. You can have the exact same thing in 12 team leagues, depending on the activity of all of the owners. If you have 3-4 teams that just drift though the process not really paying attention or making moves to improve their teams, then they are going to stay bad regardless of the number of teams in the league. I have put together 1-2 16 team teams that I felt were better than 12 team leagues, just due to the competition in the leagues.

I would also say that a very good portion of 16 team leagues are with other "experienced players." There is something about being in a league of peers that are as into it you are that is more fun and challenging. I think that has to do with the 16 team leagues requiring more time, effort and knowledge in order to stay competetive.

~~~

I prefer 16 team leagues due to the number of potential trade partners and for the challenges of learning more about the "lesser" players that play a more important role.

In large leagues, turn arounds occur all the time due to the rookie draft and trading. Cream rises to the top. Bad owners sink in all sized leagues. The more possible trrade partners the better chance to make a turn around.

I disagree that contracts are needed, or even helpful, in that contracts only limit trading. IDP does make the league more interesting, but that is true for any size league.

Owners seem to quit less in dynasty 16 team leagues because they are more entertaining due to activity in trading, waivers, and forum postings.

~~~

IDP Makes a hugh difference. Check out the links I put up :wacko:

agreed

fwiw, IDP is the only way to go :D

also it should be pointed out that the number of teams isnt always what makes things thin...it can be roster size and number of starters too....I mean you could be in a 12 team league that requires 4 WRs and in a 16 teamer that only requires 3 and you are still at 48 starting WRs

most if not all 12 teamers require 2 RBs almost all 16 team leagues allow for a min. of just 1 starting RB...but of course you can always mold your league as you see fit....in ATAP we start 20 players (full 11 IDP, plus a kicker AND a PUNTER)....yet we dont have to start a single RB but can start up to 3 TEs...we can roster 55 players(43 active and 12 on a rookie taxi squad)

Edited by keggerz

in ATAP we start 20 players (full 11 IDP, plus a kicker AND a PUNTER)....yet we dont have to start a single RB but can start up to 3 TEs...we can roster 55 players(43 active and 12 on a rookie taxi squad)

or 5 WRs, wish more leagues would go to this...i got laughed at when i brought up the option in a new league :wacko:

I've pretty much played in 16-team leagues only and I'm also in the BoTH LLD 16-team dynasty league that started this year. What I have found I like about 16-team leagues is the best looking team at the beginning of the year can still end up in last place, and the worst can still do well. There are just so many unpredictable factors every year and part of the fun is trying to be the first to pick up on things and always trying to get that little extra edge. You may only have one stud at the three major skill positions, and if one of them busts or gets hurt it changes everything.

I've played in some 10-team redraft leagues and it seemed like I made a lot less moves and lineup changes. My lineup was so stacked I barely ever changed it, and it just wasn't nearly as fun.

Edited by efi4eye

I took over a miserable 16 team IDP dynasty in the middle of the 2006 season. Lost in the supe last year. Really bad rosters are easier to rebuild because you will get very high draft picks, and one can trade marketable players for additional picks. Then, with some good FA signings, it can be turned around, but it takes more than one season.

I have never played in a 12 team league, but it seems to me that might take more time to complete a rebuild. Having contracts is the key... that forces player movement.