[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How free is your state?

Caveman_Nick

So, Michigan is the most free state in terms of regulation?!? Well, so much for the idea that fewer regulations will help the economy.

I don't know much about Michigan law or the regulatory policy in existence there, but I think anyone with a smattering of gray matter between their eardrums should be able to recognize that the absence or presence of of regulatory law/policy and the effectiveness of that is going to depend directly on what kind of policy exists, what industry it affects, and if the regulation itself does what it's intended to do.

I think some regulatory policies are good, and some are bad. I don't see how a blanket statement about regulation helps either conservative or liberal arguments.

I don't know much about Michigan law or the regulatory policy in existence there, but I think anyone with a smattering of gray matter between their eardrums should be able to recognize that the absence or presence of of regulatory law/policy and the effectiveness of that is going to depend directly on what kind of policy exists, what industry it affects, and if the regulation itself does what it's intended to do.

I think some regulatory policies are good, and some are bad. I don't see how a blanket statement about regulation helps either conservative or liberal arguments.

Well, gee, no kidding.

(Of course, you seem to be arguing that the rankings you linked to are worthless (for the reasons you described above).)

In any case, I was just making a joke to begin with.

(Of course, you seem to be arguing that the rankings you linked to are worthless (for the reasons you described above).)

:D

I didn't notice the rankings being an indication of economic wonderfulness. Just a study of how "free" the states are respective to one another.

EDIT: Maybe you should save those jokes for your economic conferences.... :wacko:

:D

Edited by Caveman_Nick

It's not nice to make fun of the polish.

Did you mean a upper-case "P"?

That is the only word in the English language whose pronunciation and meaning are different when it is capitalized (except in the case of being in a title of start of a sentence.)

Who put this list together..A bunch of Libertarians??

A helpful hint: Anytime you see the name "George Mason University" associated with any sort of project like this, your immediate assumption (until proven otherwise) is that libertarians are behind it.

(I will also note that one of my dissertation advisors is now at GMU as is one of my regular co-authors.)

How so?

Clearly the title of the thread (How Free Is Your State) and the original posting reflect your libertarian leanings. I would ask that freedom be quantified. One man's freedom is very often another man's erosion of freedom. How about the freedom to not get poisoned by peanut companies? Those who would deregulate presumably have no issue with this, logically.

The text of the document is often very pejorative. It is anything but dispassionate and therefore needs to be treated with considerable caution. Do people in New York really consider themselves almost twice as "less free" than any other state?

Clearly the title of the thread (How Free Is Your State) and the original posting reflect your libertarian leanings. I would ask that freedom be quantified. One man's freedom is very often another man's erosion of freedom. How about the freedom to not get poisoned by peanut companies? Those who would deregulate presumably have no issue with this, logically.

The text of the document is often very pejorative. It is anything but dispassionate and therefore needs to be treated with considerable caution. Do people in New York really consider themselves almost twice as "less free" than any other state?

Clearly the title of the thread is merely to announce the link to the study, which is just an interesting read I found on the internet.

Clearly you should look up the word "disingenuous" before you start applying it to people...

And for your information I do consider myself to me significantlty less free than my neighbors to the north, and I attribute that 100% to the difference in laws and governance between MA and NH.

Wow. I've lived in 2 of the most drastically different states in the union it seems. Spent almost a year in New Hampshire and am now in California while growing up in Oregon. What the hell am I doing here? Stupid movie industry needs to get out of Cali and from underneath our sell-out Governor.

Edited by tazinib1

Wow. I've lived in 2 of the most drastically different states in the union it seems. Spent almost a year in New Hampshire and am now in California while growing up in Oregon. What the hell am I doing here? Stupid movie industry needs to get out of Cali and from underneath our sell-out Governor.

Out of curiosity, do you notice a difference in your level of personal freedom?

Out of curiosity, do you notice a difference in your level of personal freedom?

As apposed to New Hampshire vs. California? Nothing much really, except the horrid outdoor smoking bans in some cities here in Cali. I'm not a gun owner so I'm not affected by that stark contrast. I don't own a motorcycle either so that doesn't effect me. Can we swap governors? I'd be happy as snot then.