[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Our new puppy...

Cunning Runt

I have an 8 week old boxer and I get the question about clipping ears all the time... I think it's barbaric. The floppy ears look better to me anyways.

My boxer at 4-5 weeks old

Cute! Boxers are a handfull. We have two dogs, what I think is a Cannan dog, and a boxer. The boxer is into EVERTHING. You move, she's RIGHT there! They want as much attention as a master can give, and then some more. Great mischevouis personaltities. But... and I hate sound like the doomsday person, our boxer has another inbred disease issue. Kidney disease. The vet gave her a year or two about a year and a half ago. She is so skinny, we can't keep any wieght on her. We give her a very expensive low protein presrciption diet, and several meds. She drinks so much water, it's crazy. Like a half gallon a day. She is about 6 now. She is still happy and still acting healthy, but so skinny. A bundle of energy, that boxer.

I'm thinking about the standard schnauzer once the inevitable happens. I just hate the idea of having their ears taped for months after cropping. A lot of breeders keep the pups until the cropping has healed. I prefer to have a pup much younger, when I think they are easier to train.

Cute! Boxers are a handfull. We have two dogs, what I think is a Cannan dog, and a boxer. The boxer is into EVERTHING. You move, she's RIGHT there! They want as much attention as a master can give, and then some more. Great mischevouis personaltities. But... and I hate sound like the doomsday person, our boxer has another inbred disease issue. Kidney disease. The vet gave her a year or two about a year and a half ago. She is so skinny, we can't keep any wieght on her. We give her a very expensive low protein presrciption diet, and several meds. She drinks so much water, it's crazy. Like a half gallon a day. She is about 6 now. She is still happy and still acting healthy, but so skinny. A bundle of energy, that boxer.

I'm thinking about the standard schnauzer once the inevitable happens. I just hate the idea of having their ears taped for months after cropping. A lot of breeders keep the pups until the cropping has healed. I prefer to have a pup much younger, when I think they are easier to train.

No kidding about being into everything.... I knew very little about puppies, and the people who had the pups told us that the mother had stopped feeding all of them... We didn't know any better and got Joplin around 4-5 weeks old... Way too early for her to have been given to us. She got pretty sick within the 2nd day of having her. We took her to a vet and they thought it was Parvo, for 4 days straight myself or my girlfriend were feeding her pedialite to get over it.

After a rough night I took her to an emergency animal hospital around 2am and had he stay overnight. They put in IV in her and the next morning I went to a reputable Vet that my parents have taken their animals to for years. They ran a battery of tests on her from blood and stool samples to a neurological test... Pretty much everything... Turned out she had a nasty virus but managed to fight it off. From that day on she's been getting bigger, more energetic, and much faster. She also has the ability to untie shoes while walking around the house... We had some friends over and one of them had both shoes untied before they made it to the kitchen.

I love boxers and I would have one if my kids loved to play with dogs the way I did when I was young. My neighbor had two boxers but she was older and I would go into her yard with my little Boston Terrier and play all day with those guys. I now look back and know this must have been torture for my Boston but he never said anything about not having fun to me so I kept taking him. :wacko:

I have an 8 week old boxer and I get the question about clipping ears all the time... I think it's barbaric. The floppy ears look better to me anyways.

My boxer at 4-5 weeks old

My baby girl is now over a year old, she's FULL of energy and loves to play. Boxers rule!

• 3 weeks later...
Our boxer had to be put down today. Got a bladder infection 2 weeks ago, and her kidneys just started to shut down. Sad day in the Rover's family today.

:wacko: Sorry to hear this Rovers

Thanks... some silver linings: We knew she was on borrowed time. She was very happy and feeling fine up until 2 weeks ago, so at least her quality of life was good. We were somewhat prepared for this, but it's still pretty hard. It was my nephew's dog, he has an apt in my house. He is just sitting on his couch in dead silence. He's taking it very hard. He had moved out for the past 9 months and lived with his mom while he rehabbed from a motorcycle accident that nearly killed him. He moved back in around the time Bailey got sick, 2 weeks ago. While this kid drives me nuts, and is a MAJOR P-I-T-A, I have to feel very badly for him. I'm not all that happy either. I was her master for the last 9 months. Makes it tough.

Thanks for your thoughts. If you have a pedigrees dog, always make sure that you get to the vet every 6 months. The earlier things like this can be treated, the better for the mutt. RIP Bailey. We'll always remember you.

Sorry to read that Rovers. :wacko:

Was wondering why this thread was back on the front page.

Sorry Rovers. That sucks.

I took my schnauzer to the vet to put her down a couple days after my initial post. It truly was like losing a member of the family and the worst part is that I drove her to vet to have it done and she had no idea what was going on - she just loved going for car rides. A feeling of guilt, but in the end, you know it was the right thing to do. Makes me sad all over again just thinking about it.