[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

AIG Bonuses

Savage Beatings

AIG Bonuses  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Are you outraged that AIG honored these bonuses?

• Yes, I am outraged!
    • Well I guess I don't like it but I wouldn't say that I'm all that outraged.
    • No, I am not at all outraged in the slightest.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep hearing that people are outraged that AIG paid contractually obligated retention bonuses totaling $165 Million to approximately 70 executives. Are you one of the people who is outraged by this?

Unfortunately I have stock in AIG. Not that it's worth ANYTHING anymore, but yes - hearing that the company's high executives took the governments bailout money and had a field day with it isn't exactly what the shareholders want to hear..

Ya - I'm outraged.

It offends the sensibilities big time. And not so much at AIG the entity as I am by the individuals being awarded the bonuses who feel they're entitled to them given everything that's happened. Do they not realize how many people have lost their jobs, in large part due to their role in all this? That kind of insulated perspective is offensive to me for sure.

I keep hearing that people are outraged that AIG paid contractually obligated retention bonuses totaling $165 Million to approximately 70 executives. Are you one of the people who is outraged by this?

I still think one in ten of these people should be publicly executed for their gross incompetence but I'm not outraged at the payment of these particular bonuses by AIG since they were contractual obligations. If they were not contractually obligated, I'd be calling for the public flogging of all of the recipients and the approvers too.

I still think one in ten of these people should be publicly executed for their gross incompetence but I'm not outraged at the payment of these particular bonuses by AIG since they were contractual obligations. If they were not contractually obligated, I'd be calling for the public flogging of all of the recipients and the approvers too.

+1 for the most part.

meh. I am probably more outraged by the fake outrage of the d00sh hypocrite politicians trying to use it to score political points.

+1. The Bush administration made the same mistake last fall. Why did the Obama administration turn around and do the same dang thing?

Dodd should be one of those hung. He's trying to cover his tracks now, but he's neck deep in allowing these bonuses. He's also the single largest beneficiary of donations from AIG. What a coincidence!!!

+1. The Bush administration made the same mistake last fall. Why did the Obama administration turn around and do the same dang thing?

Dodd should be one of those hung. He's trying to cover his tracks now, but he's neck deep in allowing these bonuses. He's also the single largest beneficiary of donations from AIG. What a coincidence!!!

Wasn't Dodd the only person in the last 10 years to receive more money from Freddie and Fannie than Obama?

I'm not outraged at the payment of bonuses, in general: if the employees generate more revenue for AIG than their overall compensation, then its a good deal for AIG and its shareholders.

But I am outraged about the use of taxpayer bailout money to pay bonuses AIG couldn't otherwise afford to pay.

I am OUTRAGED that Congress wants names of individuals that have not returned the bonuses. That is outrageously offensive. Is this a return to Macarthy years?

Liddy (is that his name?) even pleaded with them to keep their names confidential because people are receiving death threats (even family members) but still Frank pretty much told him to F off and cough up the names. Wow.

This is pretty refreshing:

"We didn't draft these contracts. We've got a lot on our plate. But it is appropriate when you're in charge to make sure stuff doesn't happen like this," Obama told a town hall meeting in Costa Mesa, California. "So we're going to do everything that we can to fix it."

"For everybody in Washington who is busy scrambling trying to figure out how to blame somebody else, just go ahead and talk to me, because it's my job to make sure that we fix these messes even if I don't make them," Obama said.

"But what's just as important is that we make sure we don't find ourselves in this situation again, where taxpayers are on the hook for losses in bad times, and the wealth generated in good times goes to those who are at the very top of the income ladder. ... So I'm absolutely committed to ensuring we have the tools we need to prevent the kinds of abuses that sent AIG spiraling.

Imagine that, a President that takes responsibility...

:wacko:

Edited by cre8tiff

I should clarify and say that it's outrageous that Congress will not guarantee, on pain of death, to keep the names secret. The CEO of AIG said he'd release the names, if they could guarantee it and Barney Frank didn't even flinch when he said he could not.

Still, I don't see how it's any individual's fault for accepting the bonus stated in their contract. The person responsible is the one who authorized the contracts and language that allows such bonuses when the company is losing money or goals aren't properly met.

You and I disagree then, 'cause I think it's these very people who have a moral responsibility to NOT take those bonuses - contract or no contract. And if they do, I do think the american public should have a right to know who they are.

You and I disagree then, 'cause I think it's these very people who have a moral responsibility to NOT take those bonuses - contract or no contract. And if they do, I do think the american public should have a right to know who they are.

But the American public doesn't golf at the same locals.

I'm not outraged at the payment of bonuses, in general: if the employees generate more revenue for AIG than their overall compensation, then its a good deal for AIG and its shareholders.

Doesn't it matter how that revenue was generated? The stock is nearly worthless. How is that a good deal for AIG and/or its shareholders?