[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playing With Guns

Perchoutofwater

So we had a family shoot out for lack of a better word. 4 of my brother-in-laws, their wives and our kids. I shot about a case of shotgun shells, and a box of 45 long colts and half a box of .30-30, and about 50 rounds of 7.62. My 10 y.o. daughter shot about 1/2 a box of .30-30 and 40 rounds of .22 lr. My 7 y.o. daughter shot about 100 rounds of .22 lr. I got to shoot my new / used Browing A5, my old Remington 870 Express, my Ruger Super Redhawk .45 lc / 454, my duaghters wincehster model 94 (which is unbelievably accurate, and I'm still giddy about getting it for her), and my brother in laws SKS.

After shooting the SKS, I can see the apeal of the assualt rife, as it is just a lot of fun to shoot. I remember calling my BIL an idiot for buying it, After shooting it today, I had to apologize to him. It was a blast. We had a great time, I basically took all my guns and my wife's out with the exception of my deer rifles. Nieces and nephews were shooting everything. I lelt my BIL's shoot my 454s. We dusted three cases of clay pigeons. It was the most fun I've had with my clothes on in a long time.

On a not so good note, when I went to buy ammo last night I was shocked at how expensive it was. My .45 Long Colts cost me $32.50 last October, now they cost $59.99. I paid $79.99 for a case of shot gun shells. I now need more 454's and I dread seeing how much they are going to cost. I know before the election Obama was reported as being for a 500% increase in the tax on ammo, have the idiots in congress already passed this, or is it just supply and demand? I know there were only two boxes of .45 Long Colt target rounds on the shelf last night.

The price of ammo has gone up I think and there has been a major push to buy ammo in bulk by people to avoid what Obama might do. I just went shooting with my kid this weekend and a case of .12 guage meant for sporting clays cost me $75. I also just bought a Smith & Wesson M&P-15 .223 that we shot and that gun is a seriously fun shooter. I went to the gun show last week and I have never seen it so crowded - ever. And this was noon on Sunday morning. People are buying assault rifles like never before because of the fear about what may happen. When I went to the range a few days ago, there had to be about six AR-15's (or similar) and a few SKS as well.

Everybody has been talking about how ammo has been selling so fast. They just opened an Academy Sports in town and on the second day it was open my barber said they were already sold out of .30-06. I think mostly it is just demand but I am sure some are pushing their prices up on ammo knowing they can get it. Makes me want to start to reload myself.

Sounds like a good time.

Ammo is indeed a buggar to come by these days. When you can find what you want, you pay through the nose for it.

.45 LC is $60 a box? I've been shopping for a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 LC, maybe I should find something less expensive to feed. :wacko:

A friend of mine owns a company that makes ammo ... his business is through the roof.

I was at Bass Pro Shops today looking at rifles / pistols and the guy behind the counter said they cannot keep centerfire rounds on the shelf ... and that ammo prices were up 80% since November and had been increasing nearly weekly.

...caveat emptor...

I order from them all the time. I can order on a Tuesday night and it is here on Thursday morning. I got a note from them that said they are selling extended magazines so fast that they are running out of most and are scouring the globe trying to find more stock. I got the 33 round clip for my Glock pistol from them.

A friend of mine is a gun dealer, and ever since Obama won the primary, he has been do so much business. It started with ammo and then when the election was over, guns went crazy. I have been itching to get out shooting. Some guys were out shooting prairie dogs yesterday. The wife and I would go out to shoot sporting clays today if it wasn't thundering and lightning.

They don't have a single box of .45 LC in stock. Thanks for the link though. They do have a bunch of 454's in stock, and at a cheaper price than I've been paying.

NY never repealed the 94 ban , no big mags allowed for me. :D

Sometimes :wacko: ;.... rather often lately..... I wish I could live in Texas . :D

Me too! Or Tucson Arizona (Not PHX)

I know before the election Obama was reported as being for a 500% increase in the tax on ammo, have the idiots in congress already passed this, or is it just supply and demand?

I don't recall Obama saying anything of the sort. Did you get this information from the same guy that said that Obama was responsible for limiting access to gun purchase forms?

Guns and ammunition sales are booming due to the "Caveman Nick effect." Every gun store owner should have a portrait of Obama behind the counter.

Edited by Furd

I don't recall Obama saying anything of the sort. Did you get this information from the same guy that said that Obama was responsible for limiting access to gun purchase forms?

Guns and ammunition sales are booming due to the "Caveman Nick effect." Every gun store owner should have a portrait of Obama behind the counter.

He stated that he would support a 500% increase in taxes on ammo in December 13, 1999 Chicago Defender.

IGuns and ammunition sales are booming due to the "Caveman Nick effect." Every gun store owner should have a portrait of Obama behind the counter.

:wacko:

I don't know what you mean.

As far as the rumored sportsman's tax, there isn't much beyond rumor to be concerned about right now.