[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tipping Question

Hugh 0ne

If you get a to-go order at a Restaurant, do you tip? I've always wondered about this one. The kid answers the phone, boxes up your food, and brings it from the kitchen to you, so he's doing something, but not what a waiter would do if you ate there. I usually throw him about 10%, but never knew if that was too much or too little.

I've been without a kitchen for the last 3 weeks, so takeout has become common place. And I'm not taking about a pizza place or Chinese food place, I'm talking about a Restaurant or Pub/Bar type place.

At a resturant I do kick them a few bucks. I know that they are working for tips at those places. Most certainly if there is a curbside pickup then I up the few a little more.

At a Chinese place I don't tip for my takeout but my wife does so the guy loves when my wife comes in. He always looks a little unhappy with a fake smile when it is me.

If I go into the place to pick it up, then usually no... if they are bringing it to my car, etc., then usually a couple of bucks.. assuming we are speaking of say a Chili;s to go type of situation.

Normally donlt when picking up from the Chinese restaurant, etc., but if they deliver (Chinese, pizza, etc.), I tend to tip bigger than most I think.

If it makes you feel any better, the to go people are probably paid significantly more than the waiters are, as are fast food employees.

This is true and that is why the 15%-20% rule does not apply. But, they are still working for partial tips. I know one of these girls pretty well that works curbside takeout at PF Changs. She is paid more then the waitress but if you think they are paid a wage that would make them happy without tips then you are wrong.

She is working there waiting to become a food-runner then a waitress. She already has had waitress jobs but you just don't start there as a waitress.

We do a small amount of take-out and people tip rarely enough that it is hardly expected. I would say that, of the few that even do, it is nearly always the metal change leftover from a cash transaction.

In my professional opinion, tipping take out is truly a tip in the strictest definition. That is, something that is not at all expected.

All of you should feel free to not tip with confidence that nobody reasonable thinks you're an a-hole for not doing so.

having worked in the industry for years (and still going) I ALWAYS tip around 10%.

I would rather tip someone that has put my order togther, verifies it is correct, and delivers it with a smile than tip a damn "barista" for getting me a cup of coffee at Starbucks . . ..

hey, me too! :D getting a little old. they're just about done with the remodel, though...

What did you do? Gut it and start from scratch?

We gutted ours completely. Took up the existing tile (MAJOR, MAJOR pain in the ass), removed cabinets and countertops, removed exisiting 1980's wallpaper, took down a soffet and re-sheetrocked that area, new paint, new sub-floor, new tile floor, new cabinets, new appliances, new counter top, new backsplash. I think that about covers it. The cabinets arrive on Monday, I'll have them in by Wednesday, then 3 days for the granite, backsplash after the counter is in, plumbing and electric around the same time, and we'll be done. :wacko:

What did you do? Gut it and start from scratch?

We gutted ours completely. Took up the existing tile (MAJOR, MAJOR pain in the ass), removed cabinets and countertops, removed exisiting 1980's wallpaper, took down a soffet and re-sheetrocked that area, new paint, new sub-floor, new tile floor, new cabinets, new appliances, new counter top, new backsplash. I think that about covers it. The cabinets arrive on Monday, I'll have them in by Wednesday, then 3 days for the granite, backsplash after the counter is in, plumbing and electric around the same time, and we'll be done. :wacko:

yeah, we gutted ours down to the walls and the original 1950s linoleum. then put in new recessed lighting, routed a gas line up from the basement so we can have a gas stove instead of electric, then a subfloor, then cabinets, then ceramic tile floor, then what seemed like 3 f8cking weeks of dicking around and doing nothing, then granite countertop install, then appliance delivery, then tile backsplash. today they are supposed to be grouting the backsplash, the electrician is supposed to be putting in the under-cabinet lighting and the rest of the switches and plates and hopefully we will basically be done except for a few odds and ends. finally. the initial tear-out was 4 weeks ago today, everything he gave us in the initial timeline has been double.

3 days for granite? good luck with that. 3 f*cking weeks for me (am I repeating myself?), but who knows, maybe you are working with competent people instead of the numbnuts tards we hired.