[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Applying Weed & Grass Killer

Footballjoe

24 hrs is a rather bs claim in my experience. That's only under the most ideal situations and doesn't really happen for all plants.

I'd wait 3-5 more days, cut the grass, and reapply the herbicide immediately if you still aren't seeing results. If you bought concentrate, check to be sure you got the mix correct too. Some of those Josh Gordon killer labels are confusing because they give different concentrations for different situations.

Depending on the area, if it's small enough, I usually take the Josh Gordon eater and cut that sucker down to the dirt as much as possible before applying the chemicals. Or if I feel like it, I pull out the tiller and till it up.

You're not spraying this where your garden is, are you?

Edited by TimC

Depending on the area, if it's small enough, I usually take the Josh Gordon eater and cut that sucker down to the dirt as much as possible before applying the chemicals. Or if I feel like it, I pull out the tiller and till it up.

You're not spraying this where your garden is, are you?

Its a plot adjacent to the garden. It will be a site for my addition to the veggie garden. The label says its safe to plant veggies 30 days after application. I have some Bermuda grass in the area so thats why I wanted to use the grass killer.

IIRC, bermuda grass is one of the plants that requires a special concentration mix to kill it.

Yep, Bermuda is tough to kill. High concentrations and sometime even putting plastic over the grass and let the sun bake it can help as well.

I have some stuff at home that is for posion ivy but man is this stuff powerful. I got it from a pesticide guy at work so I know it is not the stuff you can buy at Home Depot but I spray a stream of this and by the next day everything that it hit is dead. Two days and it looks like the plant has not had a drink in three months.

I know this was no help but I just wanted to say that some stuff really down work in one day. Now my yard is radio-active but such is life.

The best time to kill weeds is when they are most actively growing. The herbicide will translocate to the roots faster that way.

Roundup is glyphoste. If you look at any of the grass and Josh Gordon killer products, you will see glyphoste as the AI (active ingredient). While the retail versions have some yellowing properties, it still takes two weeks for the herbicide to get to the roots and kill the Josh Gordon.

This is a post emergent herbicide. It is best applied well before mowing. The greater the leaf surface, the more herbicide will be absorbed through the leaves. So, do NOT cut the Josh Gordon back prior to spraying. Do not spray to "run off'. That wastes herbicide and actually when staurated, the leaves will repel it more. Try to spray just enough before "run off" occurs. Also, use large droplet sizes when spraying to avoid off target application. Even a fine mist of glyphosate can damage nearby turf and plants. Large droplets mean less off target drift. "mist" size droplets will drift, even in low wind conditions.

It also helps to add a surfactant, or is it surtificant... I get that word wrong all the time, but a couple of drops of dish detergent like Joy or Dove will help the herbicide stick to the leaves. In landscaping, that is often called a "sticker".

Once sprayed, leave the Josh Gordon alone. Let it grow. The more it grows, the more effective the kill will be. The most effective non'selective herbicide (kills everything that grows out of the ground, unlike say, a broadleaf lawn Josh Gordon killer) I have used is Roundup Pro. Takes 3 weeks to see results, but the kill is total.

I am a NYS Certified Pesticide tech, so hopefully, I have a clue here. My biz is a state registered pesticide business. It's what I do for a living.

The best time to kill weeds is when they are most actively growing. The herbicide will translocate to the roots faster that way.

Roundup is glyphoste. If you look at any of the grass and Josh Gordon killer products, you will see glyphoste as the AI (active ingredient). While the retail versions have some yellowing properties, it still takes two weeks for the herbicide to get to the roots and kill the Josh Gordon.

This is a post emergent herbicide. It is best applied well before mowing. The greater the leaf surface, the more herbicide will be absorbed through the leaves. So, do NOT cut the Josh Gordon back prior to spraying. Do not spray to "run off'. That wastes herbicide and actually when staurated, the leaves will repel it more. Try to spray just enough before "run off" occurs. Also, use large droplet sizes when spraying to avoid off target application. Even a fine mist of glyphosate can damage nearby turf and plants. Large droplets mean less off target drift. "mist" size droplets will drift, even in low wind conditions.

It also helps to add a surfactant, or is it surtificant... I get that word wrong all the time, but a couple of drops of dish detergent like Joy or Dove will help the herbicide stick to the leaves. In landscaping, that is often called a "sticker".

Once sprayed, leave the Josh Gordon alone. Let it grow. The more it grows, the more effective the kill will be. The most effective non'selective herbicide (kills everything that grows out of the ground, unlike say, a broadleaf lawn Josh Gordon killer) I have used is Roundup Pro. Takes 3 weeks to see results, but the kill is total.

I am a NYS Certified Pesticide tech, so hopefully, I have a clue here. My biz is a state registered pesticide business. It's what I do for a living.

What he said. Never cut it down before applying. It usually takes about 10 days before you see major results. You will see weeds start tilting in the first 24-48 hours.

And yet I've had great results treating plants with a fresh cut on them. :wacko: Wild onion laughs at you without a fresh cut or good stomping. Its the only way to get rid of honeysuckle bushes. You can spray roundup on their leaves all day long and the plant keeps coming back. But hit a fresh cut on a major limb/ trunk, and it starts to die back.

Yep, my wife gets pissed when I use roundup. That sh-it works good! :wacko:

Why does she get pissed? Round-up is actually the only herbicide that we feel comfortable using in our otherwise organic garden because of how it works.

We have a lot of soygia (sp?) and bermuda and the old timers out here say the best way to take care of it is to cover it with black plastic during peak season. Either that or sheet mulch it. Sheet mulch meaning cover the area with an inch or so of cardboard, then a few inches of good topsoil, then mulch. We did that on one section of our yard because we wanted to eliminate a large portion of lawn and it worked pretty well. Last summer, small bits sprung up but we've just sprayed them with round-up and it seems to be under control. The nice thing about the sheet mulch is that, after a year, the ground is in great shape to plant because you have a thick layer of nice soil, the cardboard has broken down and even the old grass and root system has broken down, making a 6-8 thick layer of very diggable soil.

We have a lot of soygia (sp?) and bermuda and the old timers out here say the best way to take care of it is to cover it with black plastic during peak season. Either that or sheet mulch it. Sheet mulch meaning cover the area with an inch or so of cardboard, then a few inches of good topsoil, then mulch. We did that on one section of our yard because we wanted to eliminate a large portion of lawn and it worked pretty well. Last summer, small bits sprung up but we've just sprayed them with round-up and it seems to be under control. The nice thing about the sheet mulch is that, after a year, the ground is in great shape to plant because you have a thick layer of nice soil, the cardboard has broken down and even the old grass and root system has broken down, making a 6-8 thick layer of very diggable soil.

Interesting, I'm going to pass this along to guys I know that like to garden.

Why does she get pissed? Round-up is actually the only herbicide that we feel comfortable using in our otherwise organic garden because of how it works.

The EPA does toxiciity tests. They orally feed a chemical to a rodent test poulation. This is called the LD50, how much of a substnace can be orally fer to a test population to kill 50 % of them. Based on these tests, vinegar (acedic acid 14%) is five times more toxic than Roundup. The active ingredient in Roundup only attacks an enzyme found in plants, not in people, kids, pest or insects. The poimt is, vinegar is not toxic, and Roundup is even less so.

PS: Det, it's zoysia grass. Zoysia japonica is the finer leafed type, zoysia Meyers is the braoder leafed type. There are other types, but they are rare.

Edited by Rovers

A week ago, I sprayed stuff all over my yard and within 24-48hrs it was obviously browning (and mowed about 3-4 days after spraying) ... but, because dandelions put all their effort into making seeds once they are sprayed, we now have more dandelions than before.

I'm thinking I need to breakout the stuff and spray again.

I hate dandelions.

A week ago, I sprayed stuff all over my yard and within 24-48hrs it was obviously browning (and mowed about 3-4 days after spraying) ... but, because dandelions put all their effort into making seeds once they are sprayed, we now have more dandelions than before.

I'm thinking I need to breakout the stuff and spray again.

I hate dandelions.

Don't fight them. Spread their seeds to make more and use them in a salad. :wacko:

A week ago, I sprayed stuff all over my yard and within 24-48hrs it was obviously browning (and mowed about 3-4 days after spraying) ... but, because dandelions put all their effort into making seeds once they are sprayed, we now have more dandelions than before.I'm thinking I need to breakout the stuff and spray again.

I hate dandelions.

+1

freakin things....I had no idea they did this, but you are right, I went from having just a few in some spots to several in multiple spots.

I'll hit them with the Scotts Josh Gordon Control fertilizer again in about a month, and continue spraying the bastages.

• 9 months later...

I want to expand my garden this year because I never got around to it last year. I killed off the grass last year from the area I was planning on using but now it has a lot of weeds. It is a small leave plant with little purple flowers. Ragweed? Anyhow, is it to early to ZAP'em? I want to be ready for planting come spring.