[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should Government Bail Out Newspapers?

Perchoutofwater

John F'n Kerry wants to save the Boston Globe. I just don't see saving these dying papers. And though I think they are stinking liberal institutions, their politics has nothing to do with it. They are out dated, just like the horse whip manufacturers.

We need good reporters. I would say force TV stations to have real news outlets. In the old days they would lose money on news and make up for it elsewhere.

They did this because it was part of getting a license to broadcast.

I would also like to see a line between opinion disguised as news and real news.

We need good reporters. I would say force TV stations to have real news outlets. In the old days they would lose money on news and make up for it elsewhere.

They did this because it was part of getting a license to broadcast.

I would also like to see a line between opinion disguised as news and real news.

:wacko:

We haven't bailed out all the other newspapers that went under in the last few years or the ones in bankruptcy, so why stop now? Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Cincinnati Post, Rocky Mountain News, Philly papers, Chicago Tribune....

Clearly no. Whether I like it or not (and I don't, I hate it actually), the world is moving away from printed newspapers to online news. Bailing out newspapers would be the equivalent of supporting steam engines or propeller driven aircraft. Their time has come and is now going.

But we've been bailing out individuals since FDR.

And, thus, I state my case.

Bail outs should never have started. It's called survival of the fittest. You can't hack it.... go away and don't be a drain on those that can.

No

Agreed. However, I would not be wholly opposed to tax breaks, subsidies, or other governmental benefits being provided to the media because we collectively benefit from an informed society. But I am opposed to government ownership of private media. I am also opposed to shoveling borrowed cash into a failed/failing business model.

Edited by yo mama

And, thus, I state my case.

Bail outs should never have started. It's called survival of the fittest. You can't hack it.... go away and don't be a drain on those that can.

+ a whole fricken bunch.

Sad to see the death of real journalism. . . not necessarily the Boston Globe, but newspapers in general.

Newspapers employ journalists that actaully need to do research before intelligently writing a story. Magazines cant be far behind . . .

Blogs depend too much on misinformation and google searches (of newspapers!) and most television media blurs the line between entertainment and actual news. I.E.- Fox News spends a heck of a lot of time airing shows that are entertainment, rather than news.

Too many shows masquarade as legitimate channels of impartial news when they are clearly meant to be entertainmnet with an ideological slant. O'Reilley, Hannity, are all comparable to "The Daily show" or "The Colbert Report".

Will we? Almost certainly.

Hmmmm...I'd be up for a friendly wager on this. I say we will not see a federal bailout of newspapers during Obama's first term. As long as we can agree that we are talking bailout proportions of the auto and mortgage industries (i.e...not tax incentives or things like that); full blown federal govt. saving newspaper print companies from bankruptcy with federal tax dollars.

For one, the Bush and Obama bailouts were justified in that many people were convinced that the kick in the nuts was better than a crossbow shot to the skull. Two, too many regional papers have already folded to start cherry picking which ones are saved. Three, it would be political suicide and voters wouldn't stand for it.

What say yee?

you know, the technological changes are obvious and paramount, but I have to think the newspapers are also hurting because of a failure of good journalism. the two trends are clearly interrelated. but I am DAMN certain you can't rescue good journalism by having the government take over and throw money at yet another dying business model. I mean seriously, that is the absolute pinnacle of governmental arrogance right there -- not at all surprising to see john kerry at the center of it.

Hmmmm...I'd be up for a friendly wager on this. I say we will not see a federal bailout of newspapers during Obama's first term. As long as we can agree that we are talking bailout proportions of the auto and mortgage industries (i.e...not tax incentives or things like that); full blown federal govt. saving newspaper print companies from bankruptcy with federal tax dollars.

what really is the difference? on the one hand, the government says, "here is a check for eleventy billion dollars." on the other hand, the government says, "that check you owe me for eleventy billion dollars, go ahead and tear it up." six of one, half dozen of the other.