[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Doctors today

Brentastic

I hardly ever go to the doctor but recently I've been getting sick a lot. I've had the flu 4 times in the last year and a half and I've had to go to get a doctor's notice etc... Anyways, I realized why I hate going to the doctor - it's because they don't tell me anything definitive like they used to. I remember going as a child and they would rub a cotton swab inside my mouth put it on a culture (sp?) and later that day they would tell me what I had. These days I go, they do a physical examination, then tell me it's 'probably' this or that and that we will 'try' this or that medicine. Another annoying thing about going to the doctor these days is that I'm paying the full amount (copay and whatnot), yet I only get to see a nurse practitioner!! It's really bothersome that I pay full price to see an underqualified physician - and that's not knocking the NP. But if I'm paying the full price, shouldn't I get the real doctor? If I must see a NP, then let me pay half my copay. Sure, the copay is only $20, but still.

I'm just wondering what happened to the good old days of going to see the doctor (not a nurse) and finding out what is actually wrong and not just taking a guess.

you're talking about diagnosing completely different types of infections. testing for many particular infections (like the bacteria for strep throat) are easy to diagnose definitively. if you've got some variant of a cold or flu virus...it's usually not worth the trouble of even trying to isolate which particular strain you might have.

you're talking about diagnosing completely different types of infections. testing for many particular infections (like the bacteria for strep throat) are easy to diagnose definitively. if you've got some variant of a cold or flu virus...it's usually not worth the trouble of even trying to isolate which particular strain you might have.

That makes sense. I guess I'm frustrated that I've been sick so much in the last year and I'm wondering at what point a doctor has suspicions of something more serious. It seems there should be a reason I'm getting sick so often. Until the last year and a half, the last time I had the flu was in 5th grade.

Sounds like a strained vulva to me. Rub some dirt on it. You'll be fine

Nice. :wacko:

Hope you feel better Brent. Probably kid related. You get less rest probably makingyou less immune or whatever to little bus here and there. Plus little kids contract stuff. Our daughter started pre school in September. I feel like I've had the sniffles ever since.

Or you've got the pig fever.

Edited by Clubfoothead

If you're not happy with seeing a nurse-practitioner, you should be able to ask for a physician.

The kind of symptoms you're having can be due to alot of different causes. Viral infections are rampant and a possibility. Many times the diagnosis involves a process starting with the physical exam and then knowing what tests might be helpful in pinning down what's going on. If your symptoms persist don't hesitate to call them back and ask for further evaluation.

i hear ya brent. my wife and son go to a very good doctor in the city. but so does everyone else so you rarely get to see the actual doctor. always the pa.

another rant....my dr gives me a script for 90 pills of lipitor. my insurance will only allow for a 30pill so they can get their copay every month!!!!

i hear ya brent. my wife and son go to a very good doctor in the city. but so does everyone else so you rarely get to see the actual doctor. always the pa.

another rant....my dr gives me a script for 90 pills of lipitor. my insurance will only allow for a 30pill so they can get their copay every month!!!!

Most insurance plans have a program for maintenance drugs from a mail-order type deal. You probably want to check on that. My Dad gets his lipitor and something else (high BP?) that way and they ship 90 days supply for something like a $15 copay.

Most insurance plans have a program for maintenance drugs from a mail-order type deal. You probably want to check on that. My Dad gets his lipitor and something else (high BP?) that way and they ship 90 days supply for something like a $15 copay.

Good info here if you're on a perpetual med. I have my scripts thru my insurance w/ Medco. Not cheap, but cheaper because I get a 3 month supply for the price of 2 months w/ free shipping.

I do not go to the doc that often but when I do the doctor always comes in to see me. The nurse sees me first and takes my vitals and then about 10 minutes later the doc comes in. He is not real talkative but will always take the time to answer any questions I have concerning my illness.

cant he give a 30 pill script with 2 more refills?

thats what happens....but instead of paying one copay with the 90pill, i pay 3 copays with the refills.

i dont understand...unless you pay a fixed amount for your scrips no matter how much they are?

I pay a copay to see my Doc of $10

and my meds are always different prices but never more then $20

my prednisone scrip is for 30 pills and runs me $3 and change...i would assume if it were for 60 pills it would be $6 and change :wacko:

but what I think you are saying is that insurance companies suck...and that we can agree on :D

edit: what was throwin me off was the word COPAY..i was associating that with a DR visit :D

Edited by keggerz

My wife went in to see her doctor about a referral for a chronic back problem.

Her doctor said he needed to take x-rays first. After the x-rays, a NP handed my wife a prescription for pain meds.

No referral.

It's raining men! Hallelulah! It's raining men!?

Are we so beholden to the pharmacuetical lobby that meds are ALWAYS the first answer? (and sometimes the wrong one?)

My wife went in to see her doctor about a referral for a chronic back problem.

Her doctor said he needed to take x-rays first. After the x-rays, a NP handed my wife a prescription for pain meds.

No referral.

It's raining men! Hallelulah! It's raining men!?

Are we so beholden to the pharmacuetical lobby that meds are ALWAYS the first answer? (and sometimes the wrong one?)

Depends on the doc. My doc is definitely a pill pusher, I went in for a physical back in March and one of the first things he said to me was, "you sound a bit stuffy. There are some very good allergy meds available now, would you like a prescription?" No thanx doc, the OTC stuff works just fine and is already too damned expensive.

Remember, in the final analysis, it YOUR choice as to whether to take or not take the prescribed medication. Sometimes the choice is easier than others, but it is still up to you.

I hardly ever go to the doctor but recently I've been getting sick a lot. I've had the flu 4 times in the last year and a half and I've had to go to get a doctor's notice etc... Anyways, I realized why I hate going to the doctor - it's because they don't tell me anything definitive like they used to. I remember going as a child and they would rub a cotton swab inside my mouth put it on a culture (sp?) and later that day they would tell me what I had. These days I go, they do a physical examination, then tell me it's 'probably' this or that and that we will 'try' this or that medicine. Another annoying thing about going to the doctor these days is that I'm paying the full amount (copay and whatnot), yet I only get to see a nurse practitioner!! It's really bothersome that I pay full price to see an underqualified physician - and that's not knocking the NP. But if I'm paying the full price, shouldn't I get the real doctor? If I must see a NP, then let me pay half my copay. Sure, the copay is only $20, but still.

I'm just wondering what happened to the good old days of going to see the doctor (not a nurse) and finding out what is actually wrong and not just taking a guess.

It is really fun when the female pa gets to do your digital exam....my nuts went into hibernation for two weeks. I will seriously not let that happen again. Doctor only from here on out. Of course I am sure it was no picnic for her either.

It is really fun when the female pa gets to do your digital exam....my nuts went into hibernation for two weeks. I will seriously not let that happen again. Doctor only from here on out. Of course I am sure it was no picnic for her either.

So you'd rather have a dude touching your nuts?

So you'd rather have a dude touching your nuts?

I think she was fingering his arse, and he would rather a dude with larger hands do that in future... NTTAWWT