[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Los Angeles Colts

H8tank

CIB President: Stadium Could Close If Deal Isn't Reached

INDIANAPOLIS -- The head of the Indianapolis Capital Improvement Broad said Friday that if a deal isn't reached on a $47 million bailout bill it's possible Lucas Oil Stadium may close.

The Senate Appropriations Committee approved a bill Thursday that would raise several taxes, including those on alcohol statewide, restaurant meals and hotel stays in Marion County and tickets to sporting events in Indianapolis to bail out the organization that manages the city's professional sports facilities.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/29/...in-new-orleans/

The article was specifically referring to the Colts new stadium.

I know but it didn't say anything abut moving to L.A. Pro football talk does but they are pro football talk.

I countered with several other teams with similar stadium/financial problems. I doubt any of them will move.

Edited by Randall

And my interest in the NFL about all but fades to oblivion. Which would be good as it'd save me the money I piss away on FF every year :wacko:

fn Indy. What they took finance lessons from AIG? Why tf did they build it if they couldn't afford it?

Edited by BeeR

:D nice try hate. That article is a month old. A lot has happened since then. The stadium isn't closing.

That article is crap. No mention of the stadium closing here in Indy. We sell out our stadium, unlike the Jaguars . . .

Isn't it funny that when the Colts don't win the division, the Jaguars STILL can't come in first? :wacko:

Edited by CaptainHook

The CIB also runs Conseco Fieldhouse, home of the Pacers. Part of that tab belongs to them. They are trying to find a way to pay for all the operating costs of both stadiums. The Colts lease is 30 years long. It does not require them to pay for this. The government has to figure out where to get the money.

The Capital Improvement Board has scheduled an emergency meeting for tomorrow in the wake of a failure to win new revenue options in the legislative session that ended late last night.

CIB President Bob Grand said this morning that he is "very disappointed" about the collapse of the CIB rescue plan in the Statehouse. The CIB, which runs the city's stadiums and convention center, needs state and city authority to raise taxes on hotel rooms, stadium tickets and car rentals so it can plug a projected deficit of $47 million next year.

While the state legislature will require a special session to complete its state budget, Grand said he could not wait to find out whether lawmakers will reconsider the CIB bill. He said the board will discuss its options in the meeting.

"We've finished the legislative session and found no relief," Grand said. "I don't know if it can be brought back. I don't even know when a special session starts. I know our plan will have to start tomorrow."

The CIB faces a payment of $27 million in September and had hoped to borrow that money if it could show lenders a plan to deal with its operating deficit. If the CIB has to use cash reserves for that payment, its financial officers have said they could run short of money by the end of the year.

The emergency meeting is scheduled for 11 a.m. tomorrow in Room 101 of the convention center.

from indystar.com

Edited by CaptainHook

Why do you keep mentioning Jacksonville? :wacko:

This is about how the colts can't pay their bills, and the city is going to raise taxes on the regular people in Indy to pay for a playpen for rich people. Guess that's the new way.

Quick, say something about the Jags again.

There are two teams that could head to LA: the Vikings or the Jags.

Vikings move and they swap spots with the Stl Rams or the Jags leave their empty barn and roll into the City of Commerce and stay in the south, since LA is south of most of the country.

Pretty simple...

LA couldn't keep the Rams or Raiders. Clearly, the city is apathetic towards NFL football. Move on, Goodell...2nd largest market or not, the games will wind up being blacked out because the games won't sell out.

What color are the seats in that stadium in LA?

Since you asked, they're definitely purple, but the buildings are all aglow in that...Jaguar Teal.

Wolf - different time. No one wanted to see the Raiders in the Coliseum, and the Rams played in Anaheim which wasn't close to their natural LA base. Believe me, with all the glitz and glam added to the game in the past 20 years LA could easily deal with a team.

It's been awhile, but if I remember right, until Frontierre announced they were leaving the Rams were selling out the stadium.

The Raiders played in a horrible stadium in a bad part of town and were still drawing over 50.000. I went to a couple games there and it was a terrible place to see a game. They left 'cause Al is a nutjob. Not because they weren't drawing.

Since you asked, they're definitely purple, but the buildings are all aglow in that...Jaguar Teal.

Wolf - different time. No one wanted to see the Raiders in the Coliseum, and the Rams played in Anaheim which wasn't close to their natural LA base. Believe me, with all the glitz and glam added to the game in the past 20 years LA could easily deal with a team.

Understood. We'll see what happens when we get the chance...undoubtedly a team will land there. How about the Bills? The area has been hit very, very hard, economically, and now they are even playing in Toronto...?

Why do you keep mentioning Jacksonville? :wacko:

This is about how the colts can't pay their bills, and the city is going to raise taxes on the regular people in Indy to pay for a playpen for rich people. Guess that's the new way.

Quick, say something about the Jags again.

When you posted this I thought it was meant for Capn Hook due to your fights when the Jags and Colts meet.

As for playpens for rich people have you noticed all the empty seats at Yankee Stadium?

If Peyton Manning is so amazing, why can't he save the stadium himself?

He would probably try to fix the problem for 8 years, but every time he got close to getting the money, he'd choke it all away....then in the 9th year he would run into someone with a good idea, but poor management and get lucky and con them out of the money.

Edited by CD6405