[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just got a new HDTV

tazinib1

Next door neighbor just bought a house in Arizona and is driving. He can't fit all his stuff in his car so he knocked on my door last night and asked if I needed a TV. Well, blow me down, I said SURE!! Anywho, I have just the basic cable box and when I hooked it all up, I got no signal. Keep in mind that I'm new to the HD thing, so.....without further ado, here is my question:

Can I hook up the HDTV to my basic cable box? Or do I need to go through all the hoops and get an HDTV converter? I have some of the cables (green,blue,red) and am wondering if those would work so i can at least view the tv? I'm not really concerned right now weather or not I can view HD channels.

Slow down there big fella! I know you're excited and all but let's take things one at a time.

So you got a cable box that works and all. Excellent. The next thing is to connect the television to the cable box. The are four types of connections you could use: composite, S-video, component, or HDMI. Those are listed in order of worst to best. HDMI will bring both the video and the audio signal to the TV. The remaining three only will bring the video, you'll have to run another set of wires for the audio connection.

The cables you describe above with the red, blue, and green connectors are component video cables. They most certainly can be used to send the video signal to the television. Connect the cable between the cable box and the television set. Make a note of the label or id of the connection on the back of the TV.

Now turn teh tv and the cable box on. Depending on the TV, you will most likely have to use the remote to select which input the television uses. This should correspond to the label or id from the back of the set. If you have the owners manual, it should tell you how to do that. If not, post up the exact model here and we can find it for you.

Now Audio is a different story. Let me know if you need info on how to hook that up as well.

Edited by Kid Cid

Slow down there big fella! I know you're excited and all but let's take things one at a time.

So you got a cable box that works and all. Excellent. The next thing is to connect the television to the cable box. The are four types of connections you could use: composite, S-video, component, or HDMI. Those are listed in order of worst to best. HDMI will bring both the video and the audio signal to the TV. The remaining three only will bring the video, you'll have to run another set of wires for the audio connection.

The cables you describe above with the red, blue, and green connectors are component video cables. They most certainly can be used to send the video signal to the television. Connect the cable between the cable box and the television set. Make a note of the label or id of the connection on the back of the TV.

Now turn teh tv and the cable box on. Depending on the TV, you will most likely have to use the remote to select which input the television uses. This should correspond to the label or id from the back of the set. If you have the owners manual, it should tell you how to do that. If not, post up the exact model here and we can find it for you.

Now Audio is a different story. Let me know if you need info on how to hook that up as well.

Ok I'm not getting a signal when I hook up the cable box, but I'm getting all the basic channels when I hook the cable cord direct into the coax connection on the tv. I must assume that I need to figure out which set of colored wired cables to plug in from box to tv. Right?

BTW: I'm getting a few HD channels and man...I've been missing out!!

Ok I'm not getting a signal when I hook up the cable box, but I'm getting all the basic channels when I hook the cable cord direct into the coax connection on the tv. I must assume that I need to figure out which set of colored wired cables to plug in from box to tv. Right?

You probably just have to switch a setting or two.

1) Go into the HDTV menu and look for a picture or settings option. You should be able to find a sub-menu that gives you the option to change the source of the reception. It sounds like its set on antenna or coax, and should be changed to component.

2) The cable box may need to be setup outputing the picture in a similar way.

I always wondered who those annoying government-mandated commercials about converting from rabbit ears to digital and HD were targeting..............

now I know

good gawd man this is 2009, get it together :wacko:

I always wondered who those annoying government-mandated commercials about converting from rabbit ears to digital and HD were targeting..............

now I know

good gawd man this is 2009, get it together :wacko:

:D

At any rate, I figured it out. Thanks for all the help. Now to get that HD box from the cable company.

:wacko:

At any rate, I figured it out. Thanks for all the help. Now to get that HD box from the cable company.

Don't forget the HDMI cable...then ENJOY! :D

Your in for sticker shock if you go to Best Buy for an HDMI cable (If you don't already have one).They start at $49.95.

You can get them online for much cheaper.Wally World has them for about $19.95.You might be able to get one at cost from your cable company when they deliver the Digital HD box.

Your in for sticker shock if you go to Best Buy for an HDMI cable (If you don't already have one).They start at $49.95.

You can get them online for much cheaper.Wally World has them for about $19.95.You might be able to get one at cost from your cable company when they deliver the Digital HD box.

:wacko: or as posted before, go to monoprice.com for those as the prices there are a lot lower.

:wacko: or as posted before, go to monoprice.com for those as the prices there are a lot lower.

I've purchased all my cables from monoprice and they = superiorly awesome.

And I'm with wildcat on this one. I thought everyone had some idea of how to connect a HDTV up to cable.

And I'm with wildcat on this one. I thought everyone had some idea of how to connect a HDTV up to cable.

You gotta remember, up until 3 years ago, I was pretty much a line cook. Now I'm working my way up in a different field all together lol. HDTV? That was something I dreamed about while walking through Fry's or BestBuy. Hell I was happy with rabbit ears there for awhile.

The biggest mistake you can make is to overestimate or underestimate what people are capable of. Always assume that people can't do anything and you will be continuously amazed. Always assume that they already know how to do something and you will be continuously disappointed.