[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dear cold caller

detlef

I understand that during what ever sleaze ball sales class you took, they told you whenever someone other than the owner of the biz answers 1) only use first names and pretend that you know me and 2) refuse to tell the person who answers what the call is regarding. However, in the event that either of these tricks work, I can promise you that I'll be so irritated that, unless you're selling $100 bills for $1, I'm not buying. Should you actually go so far as to lie to the person who answers and say something like, "Charlie's expecting my phone call" and I'm not, you're actually going to wish that you hadn't gotten through.

It's not my fault that your job is to trick people into talking to you.

Thank you and have a nice day.

They have been a bit relentless this week. I just got 5 calls in 15 minutes. :D

And the line that gets my blood boiling lately??

"Regarding our previous conversation......" :wacko:

Trust me buddy......we didn't HAVE a previous conversation. You scupsucker. :D

I kept getting a message on my answering machine, everyday for two weeks from Jared at Cheaptrips.com. It was a recorded message saying I had looked at online airline tickets (wifey did) and that they could save me a bundle on tickets. I was finally so fed up I called the m'fers and asked for Jared, the guy kinda snickered and I said you tell Jared that if he doesn't stop leaving a message on my f'n machine everyday that I will be purchasing tickets to come to your call center and make sure you stop. I then hung up. Amazingly the calls stopped immediately. Weird huh?

I understand that during what ever sleaze ball sales class you took, they told you whenever someone other than the owner of the biz answers 1) only use first names and pretend that you know me and 2) refuse to tell the person who answers what the call is regarding. However, in the event that either of these tricks work, I can promise you that I'll be so irritated that, unless you're selling $100 bills for $1, I'm not buying. Should you actually go so far as to lie to the person who answers and say something like, "Charlie's expecting my phone call" and I'm not, you're actually going to wish that you hadn't gotten through.

It's not my fault that your job is to trick people into talking to you.

Thank you and have a nice day.

As someone that has been in sales for 25 years, it amazes me that people use these tactics. They are willing to sift through so many nos just to get to that one yes. Instead, if they were honest they might actually gain a customer.

My recent personal favorite is a call I keep getting that the person says..."I am calling about the gas bil". When I ask what company they are from, it is not my gas company. They are trying to get me to switch.

"Regarding our previous conversation......" :wacko:

Trust me buddy......we didn't HAVE a previous conversation. You scupsucker. :D

And their idea of the "conversation" was a piece of junk mail they sent. Seeing no response they somehow believe that it was the "contact" needed to circumvent the do not call list. :D

As someone that has been in sales for 25 years, it amazes me that people use these tactics. They are willing to sift through so many nos just to get to that one yes. Instead, if they were honest they might actually gain a customer.

My recent personal favorite is a call I keep getting that the person says..."I am calling about the gas bil". When I ask what company they are from, it is not my gas company. They are trying to get me to switch.

That's the thing that does gets me as well.

In a round about way, it reminds me of a HS party I was at once. I didn't know many there, I was just with some friends who grew up with these guys. Typical lame HS party. Just standing around drinking. At any rate, there was this guy who apparently everyone hated and he kept trying to get in but getting thrown out. At one point, dude is literally trying to bust through the door while a bunch of guys are holding him out.

I remember thinking, "OK, so what happens if and when you finally get in here. You're going to be surrounded by a bunch of people who seemingly hate you. Why the hell do you want that?"

Are there enough people who don't get irate when one of their employees hands them the phone saying, "Some guy named Dave. He says he's a friend of yours." only to find out he's some a-hole trying sell him on some scam?

I've been in sales as well. It's not an easy gig and I do try to treat anyone who isn't obviously unconcerned with my privacy or time fairly and courteously. It just so happens that I also want to kick a few of them in the head.

And yes, Bunz, I love that one as well. "Hey just following up..." "Oh really? I don't recall any conversation I had with some dude selling me stock tips over the phone that needed following up."

The call that chaps my hide is "You're call is very important to us, please hold while we connect you with a representative".

:D

So you're call me and then putting me on hold? :wacko:

You actually answer these? :D

Get your company to put caller ID and an iDivert key on your phone.

I can't seem to shake recorded calls to my cell phone saying "this is your second notice" regarding my vehicle warranty. Its always from a different number and they never leave a message. But I get that call about 3 times a week. I hope whoever is generating those calls has sex with TimC in the very near future.

You actually answer these? :wacko:

Get your company to put caller ID and an iDivert key on your phone.

Just to give you an idea of how creative these mofo's are getting, I got a call today and my caller id listed it as a "cell phone". I presumed it was one of my work friends or somebody calling for a gig (area code was Los Angeles) only to hear a freaken recording saying I need to contact so and so immediately for a very important matter. Again, if its so damn important, why am I talking to a machine.

Just to give you an idea of how creative these mofo's are getting, I got a call today and my caller id listed it as a "cell phone". I presumed it was one of my work friends or somebody calling for a gig (area code was Los Angeles) only to hear a freaken recording saying I need to contact so and so immediately for a very important matter. Again, if its so damn important, why am I talking to a machine.

I never take external calls at all unless I recognize the actual number. Let 'em go to VM then check 'em later.

I can't seem to shake recorded calls to my cell phone saying "this is your second notice" regarding my vehicle warranty. Its always from a different number and they never leave a message. But I get that call about 3 times a week. I hope whoever is generating those calls has sex with TimC in the very near future.

Oh yeah.......the "extended warrenty" call......I'm VERY familiar with those.......

.....for a truck we haven't had in over 15 months. :D

And even then.....we started getting those calls when the truck was one yr old. Bassturds......lol. :wacko:

I never take external calls at all unless I recognize the actual number. Let 'em go to VM then check 'em later.

I'd love to but the phone is my life line. I can't tell you how many times I've looked at the caller ID and was 100% it was some a-hole about to offer me one of those crappy deals where they give you 10 grand and then squeeze you for like 50. Then I answer and it's somebody making a reservation.

Oh, and while we're at it. We just took out a re-fi, so you know what that means. 10 effing letters a day about mortgage insurance policies.

Edited by detlef

I've been getting these too. I don't even have a car so unless they have warranties for wheelchairs leave me alone.

We've been getting one from the local paper. Its kinda funny. I guess their system doesn't recognize answering machines. By the time the telemarketer is connected, the answering machine message is finished. We have multiple recordings of someone just saying " Hello! .... Hello?.... Anyone there?... *Click*".

If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. Lots of hangups on my home phone.

I googled a few and a lot of them are for a car warranty.

The ones that bug me the most are the ones that say private.

Grandma calls every couple days and it always says private so I answer and lately it's been a bunch of people trying to sell me lower credit card rates. Tried to teach her how to unblock her number when she calls but she can't remember.

I'd love to but the phone is my life line.

+1 Anything from LA or NY is a must answer for me. Half the free lance work i get is from new contacts that have numbers I don't recognize. If I don't answer, they move on to the next person and gig is lost.

Grandma calls every couple days and it always says private so I answer and lately it's been a bunch of people trying to sell me lower credit card rates. Tried to teach her how to unblock her number when she calls but she can't remember.

Why is your grandma running a caller ID blocker?

Why is your grandma running a caller ID blocker?

All the family members that are older then me have their number as private.

Said they don't like to call people and have them able to get their phone number.

You ever try talking to the older generation about stuff like that?

All the family members that are older then me have their number as private.

Said they don't like to call people and have them able to get their phone number.

You ever try talking to the older generation about stuff like that?

Who the heck are they calling?

But yes, I do understand. My dad refuses to use those electronic credit card signature pads at stores for some paranoid reason.

But yes, I do understand. My dad refuses to use those electronic credit card signature pads at stores for some paranoid reason.

I wonder what gadget I'm gonna be paranoid to use or refuse to understand in 40 years. I can't wait.

My parents still refuse to get a computer and they call their credit cards, which they rarely use, Their "Charge" :wacko: God bless them. I wish I never used mine either.